Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud Question  (Read 2712 times)

cmjb13

Family Feud Question
« on: January 31, 2004, 10:01:16 AM »
If Dawson was brought back in 1988, do you think the show would have lasted until 1994?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Card Shark

Family Feud Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 10:12:51 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 10:01 AM\'] If Dawson was brought back in 1988, do you think the show would have lasted until 1994? [/quote]
 How can anyone say for sure? My guess is it might have since he was still fresh in the public's mind and most commonly associated with the show. In 1994, it had been too long and the set and jackpot changes didn't quite help matters. But, as I said before, it's anyone's guess.
Adam Strom

zachhoran

Family Feud Question
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 11:15:42 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 10:01 AM\'] If Dawson was brought back in 1988, do you think the show would have lasted until 1994? [/quote]
 If Dawson was brought back in 1988, do you think Mark Goodson and Howard Felsher would have announced retirement?

TV Favorites

Family Feud Question
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 03:30:48 PM »
I wonder that if CBS had been adament about having Richard host if the show would have happened.  Did Goodson hate Dawson so much as to allow the show not to be sold due to this?  I also wonder how much power CBS had in picking the host considering the show hadn't even started production at the time.

Jimmy Owen

Family Feud Question
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 03:56:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 03:30 PM\'] I wonder that if CBS had been adament about having Richard host if the show would have happened.  Did Goodson hate Dawson so much as to allow the show not to be sold due to this?  I also wonder how much power CBS had in picking the host considering the show hadn't even started production at the time. [/quote]
 As I recall, the show was a firm go for fall 88 in syndication with Ray Combs by NATPE, so the show would have gone forward even if CBS had not commissioned a daytime series.  The amount of network influence probably varies depending on the personality.  I would guess that the choices of Ed McMahon, Dick Clark (on "Missing Links") and Monty Hall on "Beat the Clock" as hosts of G-T shows were probably influenced by the respective networks.  I think that if CBS wanted Richard, they would have had their way.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Family Feud Question
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 03:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 03:30 PM\'] I wonder that if CBS had been adament about having Richard host if the show would have happened.  Did Goodson hate Dawson so much as to allow the show not to be sold due to this?  I also wonder how much power CBS had in picking the host considering the show hadn't even started production at the time. [/quote]
As I recall, the show was a firm go for fall 88 in syndication with Ray Combs by NATPE [/quote]
 And if the E! True Hollywood Story on Feud was to be believed, Joe Namath was considered as host, and Dawson's name was not brought up. Dawson had done a pilot at some point in 1988 for a revamped You Bet Your Life for NBC Daytime which did not make it to series.

whewfan

Family Feud Question
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 04:15:47 PM »
I say, it's a good thing he DIDN'T host the Feud revival. Dawson really needed time for his ego to deflate, and as evidenced in the 94-95 run of Feud, he seemed much happier than he was during the last couple seasons of the original Feud.
I think the birth of his daughter was his wake up call. Not only did he have no noticeable ego, but he quit smoking, and no longer felt a need to kiss the ladies. He said on the first show that he had promised his daughter, then 4 years old, that he wouldn't do it.

Dawson did make one attempt to make a comeback to gameshows/comedy with a revival of You Bet Your Life, shooting just a pilot. Unfortunately, Dawson was just TOO laid back, The contestants themselves weren't too funny, and the set was too "game show-esque". Cosby's version was much more on target to how YBYL should've been done. If Richard had done YBYL in 1978 instead of 1988, he would've been great.