Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If Jessica Simpson was a game show contestant...  (Read 4496 times)

uncamark

If Jessica Simpson was a game show contestant...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2004, 07:13:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 05:49 AM\']If seat #4 is the 4th chair bimbo seat, I would prefer seat #6 the 2nd chair "dumb-dumb" seat.[/quote]
Betty White and Fannie Flagg are dum-dums?

The things you learn here...

David Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2004, 08:52:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 3 2004, 07:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 05:49 AM\']If seat #4 is the 4th chair bimbo seat, I would prefer seat #6 the 2nd chair "dumb-dumb" seat.[/quote]
Betty White and Fannie Flagg are dum-dums?

The things you learn here...[/quote]

It is educational, isn't it? I also had no idea that women like Arlene Francis, Mary Wickes and Bonnie Franklin were considered bimbos since they occasionally occupied the 4th chair.

Winkfan

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2004, 09:08:59 PM »
...while seat #4 was frequently filled by Betty Kennedy, the Landers sisters, Trish Stewart, Rona Barrett, et al...that was more the guest chair, or as some might call it, "the 4th chair bimbo seat".
Then how do you explain the likes of Lee Meriwether, Arlene Francis (who should have also been in the 6th chair on some occasions), Julie London, Isabel Sanford, Esther Rolle, or even Ethel Merman occupying the 4th chair from time to time?

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Kit Dougherty of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:53:42 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 09:15:18 PM »
I always thought being in the 6th seat meant you were a semi-regular, or at least not a NKOTB.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 08:52:02 AM »
I liked it when they changed things around a bit (which wasn't very often on "Match Game"), but I remember one time around 1976 where Joyce Bulafont sat in the fourth seat and Mary Wickes sat in the sixth.  Joyce even said to Gene "I've moved closer".  The next time Joyce and Mary were on together, Mary was back in the fourth seat and Joyce in her usual sixth seat.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2004, 08:56:11 AM »
If they ever bring back "Celebrity Sweepstakes," Jessica would be a fine replacement for Carol Wayne.

One thing that struck me about Carol Wayne is that she seemed to be very smart.  She usually only missed one or two questions per show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2004, 11:41:15 AM »
Then how do you explain the likes of Lee Meriwether, Arlene Francis (who should have also been in the 6th chair on some occasions), Julie London, Isabel Sanford, Esther Rolle, or even Ethel Merman occupying the 4th chair from time to time?

I said "frequently"...yes, there were plenty of guests in the 4th chair who played well and would return occasionally thereafter.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

calliaume

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 11:41 AM\']

I said "frequently"...yes, there were plenty of guests in the 4th chair who played well and would return occasionally thereafter.
 [/quote]
 Semi-regulars almost always sat in the 6th seat that were guaranteed for a good laugh.  Joyce Bulifant, Betty White, Fannie Flagg, Patti Deutsch were the most frequent.  But Marcia Wallace and Mary Wickes could also deliver if needed.

The 4th seat wasn't a guaranteed laugh seat, seemingly, and as a result, usually went to the newest player (NKOTB).  It seems as if they went for a crescendo of laughs as they went through each tier.

One thing that struck me about Carol Wayne is that she seemed to be very smart. She usually only missed one or two questions per show.

The first few months she was on, she'd get long odds, but then produce the right answers; as time went on, the audience took that into consideration and gave her better odds.

Jim MacKrell told me she was actually pretty bright, and would usually be in her dressing room reading between shows.