Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Holiday Week starting 12/18  (Read 2134 times)

BillCullen1

TPIR Holiday Week starting 12/18
« on: December 17, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
Starting Monday, TPIR will air holiday themed shows with a decorated set, Santa appearances, Drew drinking spiked eggnog - just kidding about the last one. So there you go.

I saw Christmas themed TPIR shows in person in 1995. It didn't look all that fancy till they lit up the set just before the taping began. Then everyone in the audience said "Wow!" I also got to see the new game at the time, which was Split Decision. The lady won the car and TV on the first try. The TV was $450.

That Don Guy

Re: TPIR Holiday Week starting 12/18
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
I think Christmas episodes were better "back in the day;" while they had the set decorated for a couple of weeks, the only real "Christmas episode" was on Christmas Eve (or, I think, in some years on Christmas Day itself); the first item up for bids was always a Christmas tree, and the second showcase usually included a really expensive item.  Pretty much the last time the show offered an airplane (not a microlight, but one where you needed a license) was on Christmas Eve in (I think) 1981.  (I say "pretty much" because TPIR wasn't on where I live from mid-1982 until the fall of 1991.  You don't see them today because the cost of liability insurance on the manufacturers is passed onto the buyers; a $32,000 plane in 1981 now costs something like $320,000.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: TPIR Holiday Week starting 12/18
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
I enjoyed that they brought out the marquee games for big prizes. It was more enjoyable than Dream Car or Big Money Week.
Travis L. Eberle