Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: K-Mart to Air Game Show as Part of Holiday Push  (Read 5476 times)

Brian44

K-Mart to Air Game Show as Part of Holiday Push
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »
With Shop Your Way Rewards points as one of the top prizes...given the current state of K-Mart and Sears, I wonder if I could substitute a penny a point?  ;D

https://www.marketingdive.com/news/kmart-to-air-game-show-as-part-of-holiday-push/511064/

TimK2003

Re: K-Mart to Air Game Show as Part of Holiday Push
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:58:39 AM »
"And while the Titanic is running into large chunks of ice that are putting holes in the ship, let's bring out the house band for some entertainment and dancing..."

I really think that this will be the last holiday season for Kmart & Sears.  I don't know of too many more Kmarts in my state that are left (mine closed last year).  And the full-blown Sears department store in my neck of the woods looks like a Going-Out-Of-Business sales is underway, without the signage -- there are bare walls near the mall entrance where displays used to be.

colonial

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »
Actual quote from the press release about this special, courtesy of "celebrity host" Cooper Manning.

"I love the bedlam," said Manning. "It's not every day people have the chance to frolic with live piglets, wrestle a giant hot wing and get dunked in suds—all while winning amazing prizes."

So Cooper Manning is the sports equivalent to Roger Clinton?

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »
Today I learned Cooper Manning actually has a TV show and is more than just "The Manning Brother Who Didn't Go Pro".

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WhammyPower

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »
Because this strategy worked SO well for Family Dollar.

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Perhaps one of the prizes could be the actual K-Mart.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
Going back to the original subject (sorta):

Sears Holdings is doing two things. One, they're selling off stores to anyone who wants them at this point. Regardless of the stores' profitability. Two, they're looking to downsize and open up space for other retailers. For instance, two of its mall stores in northern New Jersey are undergoing massive scaling back. One already has completed it and had their grand reopening recently. The other is scaling back to strictly selling tools, appliances, and furniture and will move into the building formerly occupied by its Auto Center. The large store is being taken over by a supermarket.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »
I was thinking about this a few months ago. I could see Sears and the like going in one of two directions. Either:

1. Downsize the stores to the size of a Walgreen's or Family Dollar, but keep one large store in each market. I believe, right now, my market still has one Sears and JCP; there were three or four at the malls just a half-decade ago.

2. Go online only like Montgomery Ward did.

ObGameShow: Montgomery Ward offered gift certificates to LMAD contestants.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 12:06:22 AM »
Montgomery Ward online isn't the same company as the former retailer.  Another company bought the rights to use the MW name.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Sodboy13

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 12:28:30 AM »
Sears/Kmart is probably in its dying days, but it really doesn't have to be. The main problem is at the top, with a Randian recluse of a CEO who is also a micromanager with no concept of how to do retail effectively. Despite him, there's a good selection of product available online at good value, and the rewards point scheme should be an effective way to sell the brand and build customer loyalty, if anyone had any idea how the hell to market it. And there are good deals to be had - I just got a 49" 4K TV for $350 that included $200 in rewards points, which bought us the stand for said TV.

As for the show, get Peyton to host and call it Think Like A Horse.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »
Montgomery Ward online isn't the same company as the former retailer.  Another company bought the rights to use the MW name.
Did not know that. I stand/sit corrected.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
Because this strategy worked SO well for Family Dollar.

And in 2011, for Kmart itself:  http://gameshows.wikia.com/wiki/Arrasa_con_Todo_con_Kmart
@lambertman

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
"And while the Titanic is running into large chunks of ice that are putting holes in the ship, let's bring out the house band for some entertainment and dancing..."

I really think that this will be the last holiday season for Kmart & Sears.  I don't know of too many more Kmarts in my state that are left (mine closed last year).  And the full-blown Sears department store in my neck of the woods looks like a Going-Out-Of-Business sales is underway, without the signage -- there are bare walls near the mall entrance where displays used to be.

By January there will only be one Kmart left in the entire state of Nebraska--a small one in the town of Alliance which is on the Western side of the state, hours from Omaha where the last store is pulling out of the city.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Brian44

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 05:43:01 AM »
By January there will only be one Kmart left in the entire state of Nebraska--a small one in the town of Alliance which is on the Western side of the state, hours from Omaha where the last store is pulling out of the city.

Amazingly, they still had stores in all 48 contiguous states until this year. Their one store in Rhode Island recently closed and their last Alabama store, in Albertville, is currently in liquidation.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »

Amazingly, they still had stores in all 48 contiguous states until this year. Their one store in Rhode Island recently closed and their last Alabama store, in Albertville, is currently in liquidation.
I'm expecting 0 stores by April of 2018.  They are going to say they had a "bad Christmas season" and are filing for bankruptcy, closing all stores.
--Mark
Phil 4:13