Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game Season 3 & Fred Savage Hosts New GS...  (Read 9691 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Match Game Season 3 & Fred Savage Hosts New GS...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
Pedantic mode: 10 questions.

Mea culpa. Also, props for not calling out the utter chrome of "taking the top dollar amount off the board".

And I have to wonder how closely standards & practices watches to make sure nobody involved in placing the questions on the ladder knows whether or not the kids got the question right.

Why would S&P care? The production is free to stack the questions however they want.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
Just to spell it out in case someone else hasn't already: Ask question. Right answer moves you up the money ladder. Wrong answer eliminates you UNLESS the kids knew it (and again, that's all precanned) in which case you are "saved" but no ladder bump. Survive 12 questions and win wherever you made it to on the ladder. (Sounds like there are opportunities to bail along the way. Whee.) That's it.
Oh boy...where have I seen that before??? Thanks again.

My kingdom for a producer who can give us a new trivia game (not counting revivals) that doesn't involve a money ladder and bailouts.

/Dusts off drawing board
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
I lasted two questions into We're Paying Ricky Gervais An Assload Of Money So We're Going To Make Damn Sure To Run All Of His Clips before I couldn't take any more and switched to Guy Fieri.

Once the second contestant started his game, I fast-forwarded past any clips of the children that followed a contestant's correct answer. The show was more pleasant to watch that way.

Fedya

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 03:17:55 PM »
My kingdom for a producer who can give us a new trivia game (not counting revivals) that doesn't involve a money ladder and bailouts.

Million Dollar Mind Game was a wheel, not a ladder, thank you very much.

/sarcasm
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »
I feel like while some of the kids were funny, most of the segments were just, there. Though, I did find "Pokemon" as a response to Scotland's mythical national animal to be pretty funny.

I thought it was weird to have one question feature a completely different set of kids than the rest. I don't think we saw that other set of kids any other time, unless I'm misremembering.

Honestly, I'd rather just watch AYSTAFG reruns or get a Child's Play revival. Yet, I can probably see myself watching this again because I'm a glutton for punishment.

But, without a money ladder, they can't get DeWalt as an easy sponsor.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »
I thought it was weird to have one question feature a completely different set of kids than the rest. I don't think we saw that other set of kids any other time, unless I'm misremembering.

Honestly, they went through so many kids I gave up trying to keep track. I would say it would make more sense to have the same set of kids for a contestant's entire game, but again, that show already exists and it's called "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"

OK, I'll take the bait..."500 Questions"? Were there bailouts there that I had forgotten about?

colonial

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
I don't recall any bailouts on "500 Questions". It was either lose my missing three in a row or "win" by completing 500 questions.

Agree with the peanut gallery that "Child Support" was dreadful. Nothing more than "5th Grader" meets "Kids Say the Darndest Things". Ricky Gervais came off as someone hosting a focus group (zero chemistry with the kids), and Fred Savage was very by-the-numbers.

Unrealtor

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 01:54:23 PM »

OK, I'll take the bait..."500 Questions"? Were there bailouts there that I had forgotten about?

Also "The Wall." No ladder, no options to bail.

"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
I did forget 500 Questions. Good call.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 07:32:05 PM »
And I have to wonder how closely standards & practices watches to make sure nobody involved in placing the questions on the ladder knows whether or not the kids got the question right.  At least on AYSTAFG, the kids have to answer the questions as they are asked to the contestant.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I thought the same thing. Especially since it wasn't the same kids every question. What's to stop the producers from putting a question the kids punted on up top? What if one of the groups got it and two didn't?

I'm not saying this happened, Im just saying we (me and the missus) commented on that early on....and that makes this show......a little questionable.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
What's to stop the producers from putting a question the kids punted on up top? What if one of the groups got it and two didn't?

I'm not saying this happened

I'll bet you the beverage of your choice that it does happen, and that the stacks are built with this in mind; that there be X number of free passes along the way.

Did they get to the top of a stack? Who's to say the final question isn't a must-answer-right by rule?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
Did they get to the top of a stack? Who's to say the final question isn't a must-answer-right by rule?

In the first episode, a player was saved on the final question, resulting in a default win.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »

In the first episode, a player was saved on the final question, resulting in a default win.

I believe Chris is talking about the ultimate final question in a stack, not the last question a contestant plays.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »

I believe Chris is talking about the ultimate final question in a stack, not the last question a contestant plays.

That's what Kevin was referring to. It sort of took me by surprise.

The kids were also correct on the second-to-last question, so it was impossible for the contestant to finish with $0 once he successfully answered question 8.

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 06:22:31 PM »

I mean Question 10, yeah, which it sounds like Kevin is saying was actually set up as a save on the premiere. Which is completely stupid, and yet somehow unsurprising.