Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most recent show with no existing video?  (Read 24111 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: Most recent show with no existing video?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
For me, Wizard of Odds would be a tremendous find, as would Spin Off, and the Face Lifters version of High Rollers.  The Museum of TV/Radio has some 70s Truth or Consequences, but i'm honestly surprised as to why there aren't more of those in existence.

Finally got to watch a (pretty late) episode of The Wizard of Odds the last time I was at UCLA.  I'm not entirely sure it was worth the wait.

/What am I saying, of COURSE it was!  It just wasn't very good.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »

I know of the existence of multiple nighttime CS episodes.

Hmmm (mouth waters)...I didn't know about this.  This is probably my most-wanted show to see more of right now.  Anyone know why none of these have found their way to the youtubes yet?  Practically everything else has.

FTR, I'd love to see more of just about any "rare" '70s show.  Spin-Off wound be on my list (at least there's a 5-minute clip), or even Money Maze if anything besides the pilot exists.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

RMF

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 05:26:33 PM »
FTR, I'd love to see more of just about any "rare" '70s show.  Spin-Off wound be on my list (at least there's a 5-minute clip), or even Money Maze if anything besides the pilot exists.

There is an extant episode of Money Maze- it's on one of the Warhol tapes at the Paley Center.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

I know of the existence of multiple nighttime CS episodes.

Hmmm (mouth waters)...I didn't know about this.  This is probably my most-wanted show to see more of right now.  Anyone know why none of these have found their way to the youtubes yet?  Practically everything else has.

I know that episodes 2 & 12 of the Nighttime CS are in some collections here and there, but they haven't been posted online out of respect for the original source's wishes.
As for Spin-Off, how long has it been since it was reported to have been found along with TJW? Almost 18 years?
EDIT: forgot to mention that I learned from a trusted source a couple months ago that the run of The  Moneymaze DOES still exist, but the tapes were not well cared for and are plagued by tracking issues and blurry picture.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:51:41 PM by Blanquepage »

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »
EDIT: forgot to mention that I learned from a trusted source a couple months ago that the run of The  Moneymaze DOES still exist, but the tapes were not well cared for and are plagued by tracking issues and blurry picture.

2 words: DC Video.

Other than that, very surprising news. :)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »
Isn't MINDREADERS wiped?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 09:30:46 PM »
Isn't MINDREADERS wiped?

There are two on YouTube.

Many series were "wiped" or otherwise destroyed, but for the purposes of this conversation, we're talking about the bare minimum of anything surviving.

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 01:45:46 AM »
How about Pro Fan? The only "video" I've ever seen from that is a promo from a San Francisco station that was nothing more than a publicity still. That and a shot in Maxene Fabe's book of Ken Norton, Sr. unsuccessfully trying to sink a putt.

That would bring us to 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWidA_gqg9g&playnext=1&videos=M-dU6-ftHPU&feature=sub
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
How about Pro Fan? The only "video" I've ever seen from that is a promo from a San Francisco station that was nothing more than a publicity still. That and a shot in Maxene Fabe's book of Ken Norton, Sr. unsuccessfully trying to sink a putt.

Ooh!  That's a great one!  I remember when I first got the Fabe book and being absolutely baffled that she gave significant ink to a show I'd never heard of.  We don't talk much about sports games (god I loved Sports Challenge as a kid) so it's not surprising this hasn't come up much.  But I think we have a winner!

Especially odd considering that it was syndicated, and those tapes seem to have a higher survival rate.  Does anybody know if this might have been a weekly show with VERY few episodes produced?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
I have an episode of Pro-Fan from what appears to be a studio master, although the tracking is much like those Musical Chairs episodes that just surfaced. Tommy John is one of the celebrity team captains, and the bonus round that day was to make a 5-10 split.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

calliaume

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 12:41:54 PM »
Especially odd considering that it was syndicated, and those tapes seem to have a higher survival rate.  Does anybody know if this might have been a weekly show with VERY few episodes produced?
Per EOTVGS, Pro-Fan was a weekly series airing between May and September 1977, with 13 episodes produced. So that fits your description.  I have no idea why it became a favorite of Maxine Fabe's.

Matt and I are old enough to remember when Fabe's TV Game Shows! was really the only general information reference book devoted exclusively to the genre - before the book came out, there were no such options, and her book was it until 1987.  She made some strange choices for the shows she liked and disliked, some of her references were questionable (Jim MacKrell told me the reference to him as "that nice boy who might become crazy when he's drunk" came from The National Enquirer and had no basis in reality), and the copyediting and proofreading aren't great - but it was the best we had at the time.

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »
Matt and I are old enough to remember when Fabe's TV Game Shows! was really the only general information reference book devoted exclusively to the genre - before the book came out, there were no such options, and her book was it until 1987. 

I liked it so much, that I borrowed my copy from the library, and then "lost" it. I couldn't have been the only one. :)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
Matt and I are old enough to remember when Fabe's TV Game Shows! was really the only general information reference book devoted exclusively to the genre - before the book came out, there were no such options, and her book was it until 1987. 

I liked it so much, that I borrowed my copy from the library, and then "lost" it. I couldn't have been the only one. :)

Guilty here. Had it for 21 years...along with 3 other books :-[
Back to the subject, I'm surprised Pro-Fan hasn't made it to YouTube yet.
I would but my copy's disappeared into the abyss.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
Has anything turned up of the 1974 or 1977 daytime Name That Tunes?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
Has anything turned up of the 1974 or 1977 daytime Name That Tunes?

Yes.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck