Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most recent show with no existing video?  (Read 24103 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Most recent show with no existing video?
« on: October 31, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
I was thinking about this last night, and the emergence of the Musical Chairs episodes prompted me to bring up this question which was addressed ages ago, possibly a decade plus ago.

What is the most recent show in which nothing exists?  I don't know if we had a concise answer way back when but the answer has changed due to the appearance of certain clips and episodes, like Baffle and the original $ale of the Century.  I have some ideas of shows from the early 70s (Words and Music, and Joe Garagiola's Memory Game), but I'm so out of the loop that I don't know if either of those is the right answer.

SuperMatch93

Re: Most recent show with no existing video?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
Snap Judgement has audio, but no video.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »
The Girl in My Life count as a game show? That was around 1974.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
When it comes to the original SOTC, there's audio of a complete Jack Kelly episode, but not many collectors have it (I don't).  Wiki says there are five of Joe's Memory Game at UCLA, though I've made several trips there and never seen them.

Wiki sldo says all the SpinOff shows were found, but has anybody actually seen one?

This topic fascinates me as well. I also personally like to make a distinction between clips surviving vs entire episodes.  The Girl In My Life just really, really, really wasn't a game show, but it's hard to imagine what other club you'd put it in, so it's a reasonable placeholder until I hear something better.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
I've never seen nor heard ANYTHING from the 1970-71 run of "Name That Tune" with Richard Hayes.

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:50 PM »
I was thinking the Saturday morning kids show "Runaround" was shot around 1974-75, but it was actually 1972-73.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »
I was thinking the Saturday morning kids show "Runaround" was shot around 1974-75, but it was actually 1972-73.

I like it.  I also like that it's one I remember vividly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PPatters

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »
When it comes to the original SOTC, there's audio of a complete Jack Kelly episode, but not many collectors have it (I don't).  Wiki says there are five of Joe's Memory Game at UCLA, though I've made several trips there and never seen them.

According to the collection website they do have 5 episodes non-circulating and not in a format that they can play there. So, they exist and have them but no one can really watch em.
Patrick

thomas_meighan

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 12:49:45 AM »
I've never seen nor heard ANYTHING from the 1970-71 run of "Name That Tune" with Richard Hayes.

Hayes did a podcast interview with Steve Beverly a number of years ago and said this version never got past the pilot stage. Century Communications' ads for the show in Broadcasting between December '70 and March '71 certainly make it sound like the show was up and running, but they were probably a little too optimistic.

As to shows without any episodes existing/circulating, I've never heard of any syndicated High Rollers (75-76) or Celebrity Sweepstakes on the trading lists.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 06:56:21 AM »
As to shows without any episodes existing/circulating, I've never heard of any syndicated High Rollers (75-76) or Celebrity Sweepstakes on the trading lists.
The last half of that statement is definitely incorrect, in terms of existence.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:09 AM »

I think he meant the nighttime (syndicated) CS, but then again that is splitting hairs -- daytime/nighttime versions -- as the show from those years is available in some form. If we are hair-splitting, I've never heard of any syndicated eps existing either.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »

I think he meant the nighttime (syndicated) CS, but then again that is splitting hairs -- daytime/nighttime versions -- as the show from those years is available in some form. If we are hair-splitting, I've never heard of any syndicated eps existing either.
As I said above, that original statement is incorrect.  I know of the existence of multiple nighttime CS episodes.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »
Only thing from the 70s that comes to mind would be Clark Race's version of You Don't Say.
A few items from the mid to late 60s: Double Exposure, Fractured Phrases, Word For Word, Showdown, and  Beat the Odds w/ Johnny Gilbert. Haven't seen / heard anything on the syndicated run of Oh My Word either.

I've got audio only episodes Words and Music & Memory Game stashed away somewhere, so at least playable audio of those are around.

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
For me, Wizard of Odds would be a tremendous find, as would Spin Off, and the Face Lifters version of High Rollers.  The Museum of TV/Radio has some 70s Truth or Consequences, but i'm honestly surprised as to why there aren't more of those in existence.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

snowpeck

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
For me, Wizard of Odds would be a tremendous find, as would Spin Off, and the Face Lifters version of High Rollers.  The Museum of TV/Radio has some 70s Truth or Consequences, but i'm honestly surprised as to why there aren't more of those in existence.

I'm pretty sure a great deal of Truth or Consequences exists in the Ralph Edwards archive, but very little of it is available for viewing.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)