Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS wants to bring back "Name That Tune"  (Read 5379 times)

byrd62

CBS wants to bring back "Name That Tune"
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:05:35 PM »
With Beat Shazam having established itself as a hit this past summer over on Fox, why not bring back the king of musical game shows, and what better place to do it than on the network where it was a primetime hit some 60 years ago (never mind that it started out on NBC)?

http://deadline.com/2017/10/name-that-tune-revival-cbs-pilot-classic-game-show-1202189195/

BrandonFG

Re: CBS wants to bring back "Name That Tune"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
I was thinking the other day whether a Name That Tune revival could work with Beat Shazam being popular. Even though both revolve around the same idea, I think if NTT uses enough variety, it could stand on its own. Something like Melody Roulette seems kinda cheesy now, but other mini-games from the Kennedy or Lange versions would work. It's a lot that could be done to stand out, esp. if they keep a house band. Kinda how NTT and Face the Music coexisted, even if they were produced by the same people...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
Something like Melody Roulette seems kinda cheesy now,

If you don't have Melody Roulette and Bid-A-Note, you don't have Name That Tune. Period.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »

If you don't have Melody Roulette and Bid-A-Note, you don't have Name That Tune. Period.
The 50s version did fine without it. :D

Totally agree on Bid-A-Note.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
With Beat Shazam having established itself as a hit this past summer over on Fox, why not bring back the king of musical game shows, and what better place to do it than on the network where it was a primetime hit some 60 years ago (never mind that it started out on NBC)?

http://deadline.com/2017/10/name-that-tune-revival-cbs-pilot-classic-game-show-1202189195/

Were these the same people who tried it on a cruise ship in the not-so-distant past?  From what I recall in those threads, it wasn't that bad of a game.

brianhenke

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
  BTW, whatever happened to the NTT reboot that was supposed to have had versions on MTV, VH1 and  CMT several years back?

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
  BTW, whatever happened to the NTT reboot that was supposed to had versions on MTV, VH1 or CMT several years back?
I'm pretty sure the networks in question passed. From the article:

This is the latest attempt the to bring Name That Tune back to television. CBS previously developed a take 11 years ago. It was followed by efforts at MTV Networks (across MTV, VH1 and CMT) and most recently at FremantleMedia North America. UK’s ITV also did a pilot a couple of years ago.

byrd62

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Wasn't one of the Viacom efforts Name That Video on VH1 back in the spring of 2001?

colonial

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
Wasn't one of the Viacom efforts Name That Video on VH1 back in the spring of 2001?

It was. Aired for 10 weeks, IIRC.

A lot of the people who worked behind the scenes on "Name That Video" also worked on ESPN's "2-Minute Drill". When I was an alternate contestant for Season 1, another contestant asked a crew member if they've worked on game shows before. She responds, "Sure, most of us worked on 'Name That Video' earlier in the year."

After said contestant said he loved the show, he asked her what became of it. Her response ...

"Well, VH1 suits never actually saw a full episode until the premiere aired. Halfway through the premiere, we got a call from corporate that the suits hated it so much, they were immediately pulling all advertising for the show. We were pretty much canceled after 15 minutes on the air."

JD

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »
I also loved Name That Video. I thought it was a quality production and can't imagine what kind of problems 2001-era VH1 would've had with it.
@lambertman

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 04:43:03 PM »

If Snoop Dogg can make The Joker's Wild's board work, there's still hope for Melody Roulette.

Otm Shank

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
Casting for pilot contestants already, although I have a hunch that it is very preliminary:

https://casting360.com/casting-calls/california/los-angeles/reality-tv/cbs-show-name-that-tune-seeking-contestants.php?view=1443736

SamJ93

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 04:45:34 AM »
Is it too early to advocate for Neil Patrick Harris as host?
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
Is it too early to advocate for Neil Patrick Harris as host?

This would be awesome, but he's already committed to hosting a primetime game show for NBC ("Genius Junior"), so I'd say it's unlikely.

Genius Junior taped in August, BTW...anyone have a guess as to when it will be on?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:54:22 PM by DoItRockapella »

davemackey

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »
As far as the mini games go, Bid-A-Note will definitely be there. I don’t think even Ralph Edwards knew that “I can name that tune in four notes” would become part of the pop culture.