Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!  (Read 15502 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »
A lot of them still do it, but not all of them.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
Is grinding your own coffee at the grocery store still a common practice? I don't drink coffee, so I don't spend a lot of time in that aisle, but I can't remember ever seeing or hearing a grinder at any of the stores I frequent.

Absolutely. Both my usual groceries and Costco sell whole beans and not everyone (myself included) has a decent grinder, so I grind it on the spot there before I check out. (OK, in Costco's case, after.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 03:03:59 AM »
Coffee grinders at some stores nowadays have been replaced by rows of Keurig K-Cups.

Two other bonuses that also ate up a lot of Sweep time that I remember were the cake decorating one ($100), and Super Sandwich ($200).

Since we can rule out syndication for a Supermarket Sweep reboot sometime in 2018...I can’t see it returning to its original home on ABC as part of their “Summer Fun & Games” lineup, because it must involve a celebrity. Maybe Amazon Prime (since the reruns will be streaming there soon), with new episodes thrice weekly.

PYLdude

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 03:14:58 AM »
ABC brought back Battlebots. There wasn't very much celebrity involvement there.

And why can't it make its way to syndication next year? How do we know Fremantle isn't working on a pilot for NATPE as we speak?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »
Is grinding your own coffee at the grocery store still a common practice? I don't drink coffee, so I don't spend a lot of time in that aisle, but I can't remember ever seeing or hearing a grinder at any of the stores I frequent.

The store I shop at has two, one labeled "flavored coffee only" and another labeled "unflavored coffee only."  I can't say I've ever seen anybody actually use either of them, though.

aaron sica

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
Since we can rule out syndication for a Supermarket Sweep reboot sometime in 2018...I can’t see it returning to its original home on ABC as part of their “Summer Fun & Games” lineup, because it must involve a celebrity. Maybe Amazon Prime (since the reruns will be streaming there soon), with new episodes thrice weekly.

Why can't it be ruled out for syndication? Oh wait, because you said so, and you know everything. How could I forget?

PYLdude

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

The store I shop at has two, one labeled "flavored coffee only" and another labeled "unflavored coffee only."  I can't say I've ever seen anybody actually use either of them, though.

That's...weird.

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
Since we can rule out syndication for a Supermarket Sweep reboot sometime in 2018...
Seriously, where are you getting these ideas? Nobody has ruled it out for syndication except for you. Just like nobody said Sweep would only be considered if Funny You Should Ask tanks. I'm not sure why you think syndication is a mutually exclusive deal when it comes to new game shows, that one has to be sacrificed for a new premiere, but that's not how it works. With as many channels and subchannels as we have today, I don't think you have to worry about a crowded marketplace the way you did 10 or 20 years ago.

As for coffee grinders, I might not be looking, but I don't think I've seen a machine in my local grocery store since the early-2000s. I may have to check next time I go shopping...I'm intrigued. :)

/Wawa or 7-11 coffee FTW
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chrisholland03

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
All of the local Krogers have grinders.  I typically grind my own, but I do enjoy some of the holiday blends this time of the year.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

trainman

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 11:08:25 PM »
The store I shop at has two, one labeled "flavored coffee only" and another labeled "unflavored coffee only."

Unflavored coffee? Wouldn't that just be... hot water?

(Yes, I know what they're actually going for.)
trainman is a man of trains

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 11:23:53 PM »
Unflavored coffee? Wouldn't that just be... hot water?

Hey, that's a specialty in Hooterville.

chrisholland03

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »
I typically grind my own

<giggle>

If we coordinate our trips to Hammettville, I can grind some for you too!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »
If we coordinate our trips to Hammettville, I can grind some for you too!

Good night, everybody.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

johnnya2k3

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Okay...so a reboot of Supermarket Sweep would do alright in syndication; maybe Craig Ferguson could come on board as host and probably producer (I’m sure he has some ideas for a bonus).

/The Canadian version never had a coffee bonus; the teams were more interested in that trip to Cuba (or a stereo system) among the bonus prizes
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:23:09 PM by johnnya2k3 »