Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!  (Read 15592 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Fremantle acquires Supermarket Sweep!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »
If Funny You Should Ask tanks, the door could be opened for a US reboot of Supermarket Sweep in syndication in 2018, with a host that should have the same enthusiasm as David Ruprecht.
I just caught this. Here's a bold idea: why not just bring back David himself?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
If Funny You Should Ask tanks, the door could be opened for a US reboot of Supermarket Sweep in syndication in 2018, with a host that should have the same enthusiasm as David Ruprecht.
I just caught this. Here's a bold idea: why not just bring back David himself?

This. It seems like he's got the same love for the show that he's always had, and with all the respect in the world to him, I can't imagine him coming with a huge price tag.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »
I don't think he was ever a big ticket guy, not that Sweep was ever done on a shoestring anyway. I do want to run one idea up the flagpole that I was reminded of when Jonathan listed off all of the bonuses: I don't really care for them. The inflatable bonuses are there to sort of randomize the final totals, and the coffee-candy-Manager's Special are just trading shopping time for money (or perhaps no money). The bonuses I liked were the Shopping List (because it rewarded knowing where stuff was) and the $300 Movie: only the first person to find it got it. What I'd do is to combine the two: each of three stations would tender a clue to a product, and whoever can grab the marked product would win some cash amount. It got to the point where some teams piled up $750 in bonus money before tallying their groceries and I think that's a little silly.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
I never liked the inflatable bonuses, the movie, or the bad guy who chased you off of an aisle.  I used to joke that they would have a 'find your lost child' bonus where you had to dig through a bin of dolls in the kids zone (remember when that was a 90's thing at the grocery store?) to find the one that was wearing your matching sweater. 

I will be disappointed if the sweaters don't return.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
What I'd do is to combine the two: each of three stations would tender a clue to a product, and whoever can grab the marked product would win some cash amount.
My first thought was "they already had that" so I checked wikipedia and learned that a) the bonus with the three monitors was also used for The $300 Movie and b) there were a lotmore bonuses than I could recall. I think you have to keep the inflatables because that's the most iconic thing and maybe one other as permanent bonuses, but pick one or two out of a rotation to go with them and you should be fine.

My production-related question is how available is the set they use for Guy's Grocery Games?
This signature is currently under construction.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
Part of me could see a network being ageist in the idea of bringing back David since he's nearing 70. Which would be foolish anyway since Pat and Alex still have their jobs and this isn't a strenuous host job.

However, I thought that if a network decides to go with a younger host it'd be cool to have David appear as the "manager" of the supermarket who is retiring and giving the keys to the market to the new host. Put his name on one of the bonuses to make it seem like you're still getting them for David who is at home.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
He's roughly the same age Regis Philbin was when Millionaire came out, although Reege was obviously a much higher profile name.

I mean...I doubt people would recognize the name David Ruprecht, as opposed to seeing his face. So, while they could get away with a younger face, something about not hiring David would seem so wrong.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
I don't think he was ever a big ticket guy, not that Sweep was ever done on a shoestring anyway. I do want to run one idea up the flagpole that I was reminded of when Jonathan listed off all of the bonuses: I don't really care for them. The inflatable bonuses are there to sort of randomize the final totals, and the coffee-candy-Manager's Special are just trading shopping time for money (or perhaps no money). The bonuses I liked were the Shopping List (because it rewarded knowing where stuff was) and the $300 Movie: only the first person to find it got it. What I'd do is to combine the two: each of three stations would tender a clue to a product, and whoever can grab the marked product would win some cash amount. It got to the point where some teams piled up $750 in bonus money before tallying their groceries and I think that's a little silly.
I second everything quoted, but I'd have one inflatable bonus ($100?) in addition to the skill bonuses.

I want to say there were three inflatables, a "manager's choice", the monitors, AND the bread/coffee/candy thing on every sweep towards the end.  Absolutely plausible that if you were the first out and could nick everything, you could win without shopping.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »
I second everything quoted, but I'd have one inflatable bonus ($100?) in addition to the skill bonuses.

I want to say there were three inflatables, a "manager's choice", the monitors, AND the bread/coffee/candy thing on every sweep towards the end.  Absolutely plausible that if you were the first out and could nick everything, you could win without shopping.

There what one episode where a runner managed to pile up $700 in bonus money but knocked over a bunch of stuff and the fines reduced that total by some amount.

The thing about the bonuses--at least for the coffee and candy--is that they're not shopping, they're watching a person standing there waiting. The Sweep Swipe had movement, and the Manager's Special could be frenetic as well. I agree that you want the inflatables and one or two bonuses (and sure, have a stack of them to rotate in and out) but not a whole bunch. On the other hand there were some very early episodes with just the mystery bonuses and totals between $500-$750, so I can see the desire to introduce more money into it.

As long as you have people running around and enjoying themselves, it doesn't matter how much the candy counter is worth or whether the mini-sweep pays $50, $150 or $222.22, having the fundamentals in place means that those little things will fall into place.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 03:15:10 AM »
I suspect some of this was product placement, such as the large box of Cheer detergent that had money tags on it.  Same with the Cracker Jack thing.  Just a way of integrating a plug into the game rather than a 10 second spiel at the end of the show.

I seem to recall an episode where someone tried the "all bonuses" strategy, but blew it because they wasted 30 seconds at the coffee machine and didn't grind all the beans.  IMO, leaving the possibility of differing strategies makes the game more interesting. 

With that said, I never understood why people wasted their time on the coffee or the candy--you could easily scoop up $100 in products in 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:56:13 AM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
With that said, I never understood why people wasted their time on the coffee or the candy--you could easily scoop up $100 in products in 10 seconds.

Agreed on the candy.  However, the placement of the coffee grinder only required one hand to operate, and its placement allowed you to use your free hand to shop.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 07:45:25 AM »
I do recall some episodes near the end where there were six bonuses. There were even times where David wouldn’t explain the monitor bonus, but they were still active.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 03:50:36 PM »

Agreed on the candy.  However, the placement of the coffee grinder only required one hand to operate, and its placement allowed you to use your free hand to shop.

Another potentially hidden benefit is that in those 10-15 seconds at the grinder you're also able to catch your breath a little
This signature is currently under construction.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 05:22:49 PM »
Is grinding your own coffee at the grocery store still a common practice? I don't drink coffee, so I don't spend a lot of time in that aisle, but I can't remember ever seeing or hearing a grinder at any of the stores I frequent.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
I see it at all of the grocery stores near me, and we're ground zero for Starbucks.
Travis L. Eberle