Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Building a Sony ECM-51  (Read 1554 times)

SamPrainito

Building a Sony ECM-51
« on: October 06, 2017, 01:19:48 AM »
I recently purchased a working ECM-50, and plan to use the tube and handle from a Supercope EC-12B to build a custom ECM-51.

My experience with splicing and soldering is limited.  Before I take on the project, and possibly damage the working mic, can someone tell me if I would be able to splice and replace the thin cable of the 50 with standard mic cable?  Will that work?

Thanks for any help!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Building a Sony ECM-51
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
My experience with splicing and soldering is limited.  Before I take on the project, and possibly damage the working mic, can someone tell me if I would be able to splice and replace the thin cable of the 50 with standard mic cable?  Will that work?

My strictly unofficial answer is "I don't see why it wouldn't, electronically", but I'm wondering if physically you'd be able to pull it off, as mic cable is pretty thick. Would you be able to do that and still fit everything into the housing?

But microphones electronically are not especially complicated creatures in and of themselves. Even with a condenser mic, the part you are wanting to deal with carries a very weak electrical signal down a wire to something that can amplify it.

(Personally I think I'd just rather have a working EC-12B.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe