Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR episodes on Amazon  (Read 36607 times)

BrandonFG

Re: BUZZR episodes on Amazon
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
The surprise in the set is the 19th episode listed, which appears to be an earlier taped show with different rules. The couples automatically see each prize, and then try to stop the Bandit, which moves sequentially through each active monitor, with a slap of the button.
I found an episode on Youtube last week, and Fran and Al appeared on the premiere (see below). However, the 19th episode you mention has an abrupt edit from Joe's goodbye to the credits, features Bob Hilton announcing, and a 1987 copyright. Summer rerun, maybe?

https://youtu.be/fM2Lb8n4jys
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2019, 04:05:53 PM »
The 19th episode also has an earlier "release date" than the premiere. (19th has 6/19/86, 1st has 7/17/86.)

My guess is the "release dates" are actually the dates the episodes were taped. Once they decided to change the format, they simply shuffled the airing order so they'd start with the second format, and stuck the first taped episodes later in the run. Catch Phrase did the same thing with their first taped week; those episodes used to be on YouTube, but have since been removed.

tvmitch

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2019, 08:31:12 AM »
While I am happy to see it, I am curious about the economics of this decision to add Strike It Rich to Amazon Prime Video.

No one - even our fan group - was asking anyone at Buzzr or Amazon Prime Video to make these episodes available. There are no celebrities on the show, it had a short run, and it wasn't popular with the public.

Why go through the process to convert the shows? Does Amazon pay Buzzr to post content on Prime Video, or vice versa?
You should follow me on Twitter

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
While I am happy to see it, I am curious about the economics of this decision to add Strike It Rich to Amazon Prime Video.

Random theory: Amazon Prime is the NXT of Buzzr.

No one - even our fan group - was asking anyone at Buzzr or Amazon Prime Video to make these episodes available. There are no celebrities on the show, it had a short run, and it wasn't popular with the public.

Which makes it such a low priority as a property, it's a great first test for this experiment.  Once they know what they're doing, they might try it with some other properties that aren't on the schedule but do have recognition.

Why go through the process to convert the shows? Does Amazon pay Buzzr to post content on Prime Video, or vice versa?

Probably not pay, no, other than on a per-stream basis.  But they wanted to test them, and Amazon's publishing and revenue models are more creator-friendly than Youtube's.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

gamed121683

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Stupid question, but maybe you can help an Amazon Fire n00b like myself. I'm trying to access the BUZZR material on their Amazon Video app, but I can't seem to find them. What am I doing wrong?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »
Stupid question, but maybe you can help an Amazon Fire n00b like myself. I'm trying to access the BUZZR material on their Amazon Video app, but I can't seem to find them. What am I doing wrong?

Don't own a Fire, but:

Do you have Prime?  And are you focusing on TV shows as opposed to other media?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

gamed121683

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »

Don't own a Fire, but:

Do you have Prime?  And are you focusing on TV shows as opposed to other media?

To answer both questions, yes.

tvwxman

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 05:50:24 AM »
The surprise in the set is the 19th episode listed, which appears to be an earlier taped show with different rules. The couples automatically see each prize, and then try to stop the Bandit, which moves sequentially through each active monitor, with a slap of the button. Charlie O is on the mic, the bandit has no laugh, and his simple design looks like it would be more at home in a game of Berzerk than it does here. In the bonus, the payoffs were $1,000 for 3 dollar signs, $2,000 for 4, a new car for 5 and a pair of new cars for 6.

I hasten to say pilot, because Broadcasting & Cable had pictures & artist renderings of a pilot with three arches, three couples, and money scoring.
Watched it - all signed pointed to pilot.... I too (great minds) thought about that rendering, and remembered that the B&C pic was far more resembling of the British version of the show (with one contestant on the side answering  questions).
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
Watching the pilot and episode 1 by their counting and it all feels capricious and arbitrary. The game feels like a gaudier and slower iteration of Bullseye, with a bad guy that the game could do without--if it's a race then the team should move as many spaces as they get answers and uncover a prize at each step. There would be no need to bank before stopping, the team would either play on and keep control or hang on to their prizes and send Joe upstairs to the other team.
Travis L. Eberle

tvmitch

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »
Watching the pilot and episode 1 by their counting and it all feels capricious and arbitrary. The game feels like a gaudier and slower iteration of Bullseye, with a bad guy that the game could do without--if it's a race then the team should move as many spaces as they get answers and uncover a prize at each step. There would be no need to bank before stopping, the team would either play on and keep control or hang on to their prizes and send Joe upstairs to the other team.
Watched a couple of the Strike It Lucky/Barrymore eps over the weekend, and the differences between the two versions are stark. In the one episode I watched, from later in the run, Barrymore spent 12 minutes interviewing the teams. The game took about 13 or 14 minutes to play out, including the end game, and there were three teams on stage. Couples on his versions made decisions about keeping or banking prizes quickly, and Barrymore spent the entire show sprinting up and down stairs.

On ours, Garagiola spent lots of time reading the answers on the board, explaining the rules too often, waiting for the couples to deliberate, just a metric ton of downtime.

Didn't our version come first? Interesting that the pilot sketch showed the UK setup with three separated couples, but we ended up differently.
You should follow me on Twitter

snowpeck

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »
Didn't our version come first? Interesting that the pilot sketch showed the UK setup with three separated couples, but we ended up differently.

Both versions premiered in fall 1986. The US version in September and the UK version in October.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jamey Greek

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2019, 10:36:40 AM »
They do not have strike it rich anymore.  I was about to watch it the other day and they pulled it

Hastin

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
Has BUZZR refreshed the Amazon episodes for any show at all since earlier this year?

Seems like along with the Twitch delisting, they would rather you watch the channel stream.
-Hastin :)

Bryce L.

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »
Makes me glad I recorded everything from there I could when I did.

JakeT

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »
Watching the episodes unedited just reminds me again of how clever it was to do the sideways end credits roll/crawl...just was a great fit to the whole madcap affair...

JakeT