Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Buzzr Stuff Coming  (Read 21618 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: New Buzzr Stuff Coming
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »
Anderson's Feud doesn't really deserve the negative reputation it seems to have earned (I feel the same way about a lot of shows from the 90s and beyond). It's not the greatest version of the show, but taken on it's own it is NOT bad TV. 
I suppose that's everyone's prerogative, but I recall finding out that the show was returning, staying up beyond late to watch a show that had made changes seemingly to make them and be different rather than fixing a problem, such as the problem of having too many families not getting to play, so adios returning champs, or not a big enough prize budget, so a Fast Money win pays $2,000 a head. I didn't feel compelled to watch again, and with a timeslot coming post Late Late Show, I don't think channel seven cared much about my viewing or not.

For my own tastes as a viewer, I find O'Hurley's run to be the best version of the four incarnations of Feud's present two decade run, but none of the four are even remotely terrible, and personally I'd rather sit through Louie's hosting than hearing about the family that DREW FIRST BLOOD (Karn) or watching a host get SHOCKED AND OUTRAGED and make goofy faces at juvenile, stupid and/or risque answers he knows damn well are going to be prompted by those questions. But even those two aren't bad.
Sterling analysis, of which I'm not surprised. Family Feud has never been hosted by a game show host, it has been run by comedians who either honed their craft over their tenure or didn't/aren't doing that. I think that John could have made some strides in that direction over time and if he didn't at least he wasn't phoning it in or being an assclown.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
I have to agree with pretty much everything Chelsea said, short of the Anderson revival being "fine." In that regard, I line up with Travis. One thing that I remember upon watching that when it debuted was just how sparse and cheap everything felt, and I don't mean the prize budget. Instead of backdrops for each family, there's just a monitor with their name on it. The big board was projected onto the background, and while, okay, maybe that looks better than 1994's Chyron approach, it's still not good, especially when the background lifts up for the host to come out, and the image on it doesn't. The Single-Single-Single-One Strike Triple format broke the game in ways that were glaring, and as following seasons showed, unnecessary to shave a couple minutes off the run time. I had forgotten that they initially had no returning champs. Well, you're our champions, here's $165 apiece and out the door you go!

O'Hurley is my favorite modern Feud host, as well. He was stiff as first, but adapted well, I thought. Wish he hadn't been saddled with the inexplicable return of the Bullseye round that one year.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2017, 12:07:40 AM »
The late Randy Amasia explained it best when he said the yellow and red Sampler look of Dawson's version was intentional, as it was supposed to represent the old-timey Hatfields vs. McCoys rivalry. I didn't mind the modernizing of Louie's Feud, and honestly, the set would've been nice for another show. But with Randy's explanation, I still felt it was a change for the sake of change, even if it was for a modern Y2K look. That said, it was a decent enough half-hour, since the game was still there, even with the flawed scoring.

With the exception of Richard Karn's TRIPLE THE POINTS!!1, each run got more and more tolerable to an extent. I do agree O'Hurley's era was probably the best, although the audience holding signs rooting for families was pretty bizarre. IIRC, Steve's first season or so actually didn't have the bawdy humor, but allowed Steve to still do his shtick. If they went back to that, instead of Overreacting to Naughty Answers + Terrible Euphemisms, they'd be on to something.

But hey, #1 game show in syndication right now, so what do I know?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »
Just because something is popular doesn't make it good.
Travis L. Eberle

chrisholland03

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »
I still don't like the concept of owning 1/5 of a car

BillCullen1

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
The one thing I did not like about Louie Anderson's version of Feud is that he sometimes mumbled and I couldn't understand the questions, especially during the first season. I also read that during the commercials he would go off stage and not talk to the audience.

BrandonFG

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
Just because something is popular doesn't make it good.
I was being pretty facetious there, but my point stands that somebody is watching, even if we don't like it. Great thing is, we are finally at a point where there's several more games to watch.

/Been wondering how they decide who gets the car and on which days
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!