Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Congrats to Johnny Gilbert  (Read 2905 times)

TimK2003

Congrats to Johnny Gilbert
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:36 AM »
On the Thursday 9/28 episode of Jeopardy!, Johnny Glibert was formally recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records for his 33+ years announcing at the mic of Jeopardy!  (Apparantly a new world record).

There was a short presentation at the end of the Double J! round.  Johnny doesn't look a day over 70.

I only caught the tail end of the segment, the Guinness people did have a specific years/weeks/days count of shows he did to reach the record (like some Guinness records, YMMV). 

Regardless, here's to Johnny for his announcing work over the decades, especially on J! And here's to many more!

WhammyPower

Re: Congrats to Johnny Gilbert
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
So is Johnny the first holder of this record, or did he just overtake somebody? I know in the US he holds the record by quite a bit (Charlie O did 21 years uninterrupted plus 5 before), but is there someone somewhere else who has gone longer?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:34:11 PM by Kevin Prather »

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
I'm thinking he's the first. The only other shows I could think of that ran 31+ continuous years are TPiR and Wheel; the longest for those two would be Rod (16 or so years, before his illness) and Charlie O., respectively.

That's a pretty specific record, so I wonder who the overall record holder (any genre) would be. Don Pardo on SNL?

/I hate that sweetened cheer they use at the end of that clip
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »
Hear! Hear! (And a  :-* from moi!)

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Nick

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
When I first got to see Johnny do his gig at a Jeopardy! taping, he was a mere 88 years of age.  I've recalled the picture many times of him gripping the sides of his lectern belting out, "This is Jeopardy!," just as is seen in the linked clip.  The energy with which he can still deliver is impressive enough, but there's a whole aura that you can feel coming off of him when you're right there in the same room that makes his performance even that much more impressive.

How fortunate we are to get to continue to enjoy his work day in and day out.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
I've heard conflicting reports on whether Johnny is still in the studio for taping nowadays--some have said a member of the production crew does the intro live and then is dubbed over by Johnny in post, while others reported that he was in-studio and even still did an audience warm-up as recently as 2015. Or is it a little bit both depending on when he feels up to it?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
Or is it a little bit both depending on when he feels up to it?

This is the impression I've had over the past 5 or so years. I think he's there more than he's not.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck