Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS may be selling TV City  (Read 4563 times)

WhammyPower

CBS may be selling TV City
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:06:38 AM »

johnnya2k3

Re: CBS may be selling TV City
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
The days of network-owned TV studios in Los Angeles is gradually coming to an end.

ABC and KABC moved from Prospect Avenue to Burbank and Glendale respectively; NBC and KNBC, from "Beautiful Downtown" Burbank to Universal City; and now CBS could be following suit with TV City though TPIR, Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, and The Late Late Show are their only four shows being done there (plus of course dozens of non-CBS shows like Dancing With The Stars and others too many to name).

/Hope the new owners, whoever they be, won’t turn it to an IKEA like they did with ITV’s old Granada Studios.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:16:42 PM by johnnya2k3 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
A little speculation. I'm guessing this is the result of so many TV shows now taping in states like Louisiana, Georgia and Virginia? There had been a downward slide of LA-based shows over the last decade, and I imagine single-camera sitcoms becoming the norm contributed to this.

Even though game shows are back in a big way, I think TPiR is the only one taping at TV City, no?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 07:09:44 PM »
Aren't a lot of CBS' in house productions taping at Paramount now anyway?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
Even though game shows are back in a big way, I think TPiR is the only one taping at TV City, no?

I believe you're right - when I went out to see Price, I asked about LMAD, and was told it tapes in Van Nuys, if I'm not mistaken.

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
This really isn't new. At least in regards to Price, there were rumblings back in 2004.

http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,4110.msg39794.html#msg39794
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
A little speculation. I'm guessing this is the result of so many TV shows now taping in states like Louisiana, Georgia and Virginia?

It's more that being directly next to The Grove makes the Television City property very valuable. For example, if a developer could turn that spacious area into luxury apartments, there's a lot of money to be had.

Here's an article from the Los Angeles Times (as linked to by user "TVC" on Golden-Road.net): http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cbs-television-city-20170928-story.html

On a regular basis, yes. The 2015 revival of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? taped at Television City. I know the first season of the current To Tell the Truth also taped there (though the On-Camera Audiences website says the show has since moved to CBS Studio Center). It looks like Celebrity Family Feud still tapes at Television City, too.

Chief-O

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:52 PM »

On a regular basis, yes. The 2015 revival of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? taped at Television City. I know the first season of the current To Tell the Truth also taped there (though the On-Camera Audiences website says the show has since moved to CBS Studio Center). It looks like Celebrity Family Feud still tapes at Television City, too.

And there's a lot of non-GS production in there as well. As far as I know, "Real Time" still shares 33 with "Price", while the other "original" studios are chock full of CBS soap business. Corden's upstairs in 56, and "Dancing With the Stars" is filling 46(?) as we speak. Even if TV City is sold, I could see it remaining busy......more so than NBC Burbank or ABC Prospect have recently been, perhaps.
.....and it goes like this!!!

johnnya2k3

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »
CBS News' L.A. bureau was also upstairs at Television City until they moved to the Studio Center in 2008 (they were never at Columbia Square -- longtime home of KNXT/KCBS -- as many thought).

Oh, and I believe "The Big Moment" also called TV City home.
It's more that being directly next to The Grove makes the Television City property very valuable. For example, if a developer could turn that spacious area into luxury apartments, there's a lot of money to be had.
Like they did with the former BBC Television Centre (which was Britain's -- or Europe's, for that matter -- answer to TV City)?

Days Of Our Lives, by the way, is the only NBC show still taped in what's now The Burbank Studios, though I wished KCET, after disaffiliating with PBS, leased some space there after selling their longtime (and historic, going back over a century) Hollywood studios to the Church of Scientology.

And some Disney Channel shows should've been produced at Prospect instead of Sunset Las Palmas Studios (formerly Hollywood Center Studios).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:32:43 PM by johnnya2k3 »

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »
CBS News' L.A. bureau was also upstairs at Television City until they moved to the Studio Center in 2008 (they were never at Columbia Square -- longtime home of KNXT/KCBS -- as many thought).

Who? Who thought?

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:22:57 AM »
I forgot about Celebrity Feud...had no idea that 5th Grader and TTTT were there.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 01:25:21 AM »
No more Bob Barker studio.  Is that what's eating the Bois?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
I'd like to think that I am not a crackpot, but I'd be sad if Price moved. It really feels like 33 is a character in the show.
@lambertman

johnnya2k3

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 05:45:36 PM »
I'd like to think that I am not a crackpot, but I'd be sad if Price moved. It really feels like 33 is a character in the show.
It would be like as if Saturday Night Live is kicked out of legendary Studio 8H at 30 Rock.

/We should be thankful NBC didn’t call Studio 8H "The Lorne Michaels Studio" (though it was originally a radio studio)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:14:14 PM by johnnya2k3 »

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 07:03:16 PM »
No more Bob Barker studio.  Is that what's eating the Bois?
Nah, they'll just storm the city council demanding it be declared an historical landmark.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS