Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DVR Alert: Fresh off the boat 10/3  (Read 5352 times)

Jamey Greek

DVR Alert: Fresh off the boat 10/3
« on: September 27, 2017, 10:39:56 PM »
Next Tuesday on the fresh off the boat season premiere.  It will be an episode where Honey and Jessica go on Wheel of Fortune.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: DVR Alert: Fresh off the boat 10/3
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:53:09 PM »
I'll alert the proper authorities.

/that show is still on?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:47 PM »
I'll alert the proper authorities.

/that show is still on?

It sure is, but Woolery left it. :P

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:47:18 PM »
I saw where you were Goen with that.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 11:59:50 PM »
These puns are not taking us in the White direction, but I'll give you guys a Pat on the back.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

alfonzos

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »
Oh great. That leaves me nothing to pun but Bernirschke. You make me want to rolf.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 12:13:25 AM »
That must have been the reason for the shots on social media with the Free Spin space and the eggcrate displays. (Fresh Off the Boat is set in the mid to late 90s.)
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 04:08:28 AM »
That must have been the reason for the shots on social media with the Free Spin space and the eggcrate displays. (Fresh Off the Boat is set in the mid to late 90s.)

Sure seems like the Gist of it.

/what? You guys stole all the good puns
//still surprised the show's on...tried, couldn't
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WhammyPower

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:21 AM »
You Bradley scratched the surface if you want to include international hosts.

pacdude

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
I watched the screener, and noted the following things that don't give away any major plot points if you're watching the show, which you should, mostly because it's a good time and partially because there's not enough positive Asian representation on television:

It's set in the summer of 1997 (The kids aren't in school and Nicole says she's going to see Contact in theaters), so the digital puzzle board is feasible.
Jessica owns the Tyco Wheel of Fortune board game from 1992. When they actually play the game, it's not the 1992 board game, since the used letter board isn't at the bottom of the plastic board.

The set is clearly the modern set with very few efforts to make the set look like the 1997 set. They did their best by segmenting the players into red, yellow and blue, and using an eggcrate display, but as purists will annoyingly point out, those displays were right-aligned and didn't show anything if a player was at $0. The wheel has a Free Spin token on it.

Categories include Before and After, which would be OK; and Song Lyrics, which was introduced in 2001 and would not have been seen on the show.
Upon solving a puzzle, Pat announces that Honey and Jessica win a trip, like a Prize Puzzle, but they don't call it that and it could have been picked up on the Wheel. No prize wedge is seen, however. Prize Puzzles as we know were introduced in 2003, but the "original version" premiered for a short time in mid-to-late 1997. A chintzy 3D graphic accompanies the prize and it is certainly not period accurate.

The snippets of theme song heard during the show are time period accurate, but I think Pat and Vanna walked out to a weird part of the theme song. The solve cue is accurate to the time period. The on-screen category chyron is reasonably accurate to the time period.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
They did their best by segmenting the players into red, yellow and blue, and using an eggcrate display, but as purists will annoyingly point out
Said as he points out the anachronisms. :D
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
I saw where you were Goen with that.

These puns are not taking us in the White direction, but I'll give you guys a Pat on the back.

Oh great. That leaves me nothing to pun but Bernirschke. You make me want to rolf.

I'm not clever enough to come up with these puns on my own.  I need a Stafford this kind of thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chrisholland03

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:44:33 AM »
At some point we'll all upChuck from all of the puns

Brian44

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
If you need more puns, I've got a whole Vanna them out in the parking lot.  ::)

pacdude

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
They did their best by segmenting the players into red, yellow and blue, and using an eggcrate display, but as purists will annoyingly point out
Said as he points out the anachronisms. :D

I thought I'd get them out of the way before someone blows an artery raging at them.