Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The new GSN schedule effective March 15th...  (Read 23830 times)

1978-Jeopardy

The new GSN schedule effective March 15th...
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2004, 07:36:21 PM »
It's still missing variety. Anyone who's watched the channel for a few years has probably already seen most of the episodes of these shows. It was much better when there was a completely different schedule on weekends like when I got GSN in 2000. There was Click, Body Language, TTD, Perry CS among others in good times on the weekend schedule. Now a lot of the stuff is heavily rerun-abused, such as WoF, J!, $100k Pyramid, and most recently Hollywood Squares. At least they aquired better episodes of Love Connection.

GSN (soon to be GSN)  should have a more varied schedule as far as traditional game shows go. They certainly have the library. I couldn't care much about body language or click, but TTD was fun and PErry was the better card sharks host. Personally, I wish they'd air more 70's game shows. Not to be too redundant, but I miss $20k pyr, the gong show and classic HSQ terribly. Wof & Jeopardy are far from rerun abused, and if anything, they're neglected. I'd like to see the older episodes of both shows. Love connection is pathetic, that's rerun-abused.

BTW: classic LMaD is getting stale. How many episodes of that show exist, and does GSN ever plan to buy the rest of it? I truly enjoy the show.

zachhoran

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2004, 07:51:33 PM »
[quote name=\'1978-Jeopardy\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 07:36 PM\']

BTW: classic LMaD is getting stale. How many episodes of that show exist, and does GSN ever plan to buy the rest of it? I truly enjoy the show. [/quote]
 They have 250 or so episodes of the 70s syndie nighttime run(1971-77, with a couple of ABC primetime episodes thrown in), as well as the 175 episodes of the 1984-85 All New version. They're about halfway through showing the latter season on the 9AM run. The 1985-86 syndie season, and most likely the 1980-81 Canadian version and the 1990 NBC run(and of course the 2003 NBC revival, of which two episodes never aired) are still around. There'd be rights issues in airing those versions. Catalena productions syndicated the 1980-81 run, and Dick Clark/Ron Greenberg Productions in association with Buena Vista AKA Disney did the 1990 run. No word on whether the 1963-76 NBC/ABC daytime or the mid 60s primetime episodes are still around.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2004, 09:59:32 PM »
One can only hope that this will be better than Abeyta's last venture for GSN--"Burt Luddin's Love Buffet."
Most test patterns would be better than the late Buffet. Hard to see how the blackjack show could get nearly as cheesy. My guess is that it will be pretty similar to the Travel Channel show, maybe with less post-production. All the narration was added well after the fact on the Travel Channel. GSN might so something similar to the poker shows...mix live commentary with some later stuff.

Ran across an interesting discussion of Ken Einiger's tough beat on the final hand in the Travel Channel tournament:

http://www.blackjacktournaments.com/bb/showthread.php?t=23

Seems like the experts agree that Ken did himself a favor by mucking up the split, which forced him to double. Only he then lost on an excruciating final card.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 10:09:51 PM by CaseyAbell »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2004, 02:19:56 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 07:51 PM\'] and Dick Clark/Ron Greenberg Productions in association with Buena Vista AKA Disney did the 1990 run. [/quote]
 Which really shouldn't be a problem....they air "Greed" and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"....it's probably moreso that no one wants to see these episodes again.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CaseyAbell

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2004, 12:30:35 PM »
Just to show that any of GSN's non-traditional shows which don't perform well might get a swift kick, read this unintentionally funny article on the now-buried video games block:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0PJQ/1...1/article.jhtml

Have to laugh over the line that Carmen Nicole could bump Regis off GSN. Carmen is long gone and the network is plugging Millionaire ten times an hour.

If Joe Millionaire and Kenny and Spenny and the other non-trad types bomb, they might well join Carmen wherever she is now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:34:20 PM by CaseyAbell »

aaron sica

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2004, 12:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 12:30 PM\'] Just to show that GSN's non-traditional shows which don't perform well might get a swift kick, read this unintentionally funny article on the now-buried video games block:
 [/quote]
 Unintentionally funny indeed....This part made me laugh..

"As well, the online message boards at GameShowNetwork.com are swollen with harsh comments by fan boys about the programming, especially its reliance on syndicated shows."

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2004, 09:35:39 PM »
After about a week of repeatedly repositioning an indoor UHF antenna hooked to a set-top HDTV tuner box trying to maintain a steady, dropout-free picture on the HD versions of two local afilliates, I decided to bite the bullet and go for digital cable in order to get them problem-free in time for the Oscars.  

In addition to the HD tier, I also subscribed to a family entertainment tier, meaning that for the first time since that aborted three-week period in 1999, GSN is back on my own TV! : )

Of course, this is all happening a mere three weeks before Game Show Network becomes the "new" GSN...so I still fear I missed out on some great shows that may never see the light of GSN ever again.  This is setting me back about $70 a month and I wish they'd help make GSN's recent return to my home worthwhile.

GSN, would it REALLY be that big a nail in your coffin to schedule those 12 weeks of "Spin-Off" eps in some off-hour?  Poker IS hot on TV now, y'know.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

MCArroyo1

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2004, 10:54:53 PM »
Sad to say, there will probably be only one 30 - minute generic FF episode* shown per Saturday night, since GSN will probably continue airing their GAA spots, however inane one may think they are.
Yep, it looks like that's the case.  The episode was a half-hour ABC daytime show from 1980.  The Tack family, who would eventually retire undefeated, played their first game.

adamjk

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2004, 11:14:39 PM »
Happen to know the airdate?

uncamark

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2004, 04:02:05 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 10:54 PM\']
Sad to say, there will probably be only one 30 - minute generic FF episode* shown per Saturday night, since GSN will probably continue airing their GAA spots, however inane one may think they are.
Yep, it looks like that's the case.  The episode was a half-hour ABC daytime show from 1980.  The Tack family, who would eventually retire undefeated, played their first game. [/quote]
 Sound like it's where the midday run of the network "Feud" left off in--2002?

David Lawrence

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2004, 04:38:20 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 04:02 PM\'][quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 10:54 PM\']
Yep, it looks like that's the case.  The episode was a half-hour ABC daytime show from 1980.  The Tack family, who would eventually retire undefeated, played their first game. [/quote]
Sound like it's where the midday run of the network "Feud" left off in--2002?[/quote]
Not quite. That run left off after reaching the early months of 1982. The episode that aired Saturday night was the first of the daytime run to include a 1980 date in the closing credits.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2004, 04:57:19 PM »
[quote name=\'David Lawrence\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 03:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 04:02 PM\'][quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Mar 20 2004, 10:54 PM\']
Sound like it's where the midday run of the network "Feud" left off in--2002?[/quote]
Not quite. That run left off after reaching the early months of 1982. The episode that aired Saturday night was the first of the daytime run to include a 1980 date in the closing credits. [/quote]
 What was the airdate of the "September" episode?  Wasn't that sometime in 1980 (I would love to see that ep in its entirety at some point)?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

David Lawrence

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2004, 06:59:50 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 04:57 PM\']What was the airdate of the "September" episode?  Wasn't that sometime in 1980 (I would love to see that ep in its entirety at some point)?

Doug[/quote]
I don't have exact airdates, but the Trejo family (the family involved in the "September" incident) was on for 7 days in fall of 1980. So unless GSN plans to skip around, don't expect to see this air on the weekend schedule anytime soon.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2004, 08:53:11 AM »
The "September" episode was taped Sept 25, 1980, and aired in October 1980.  This is according to the old "WinTV".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2004, 12:07:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 23 2004, 07:53 AM\'] The "September" episode was taped Sept 25, 1980, and aired in October 1980.  This is according to the old "WinTV". [/quote]
 Thanks to both of you for the update.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)