Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The new GSN schedule effective March 15th...  (Read 23814 times)

cmjb13

The new GSN schedule effective March 15th...
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2004, 06:31:49 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 09:28 PM\'] Whammy? Todd Newton got too loud for me. I know the producers told him to get loud, but he still rubbed my auditory nerves the wrong way. [/quote]
Hold on a second here - they *told* him to get loud?? Hmm....what would the show have been like if he hadn't been told that.... [/quote]
 It still would have sucked.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

CaseyAbell

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2004, 08:26:27 AM »
You just don't get it, do you? If I dislike crapola, don't brand me with a label. Just describe me as "one who dislikes crapola".
Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that any significant number of  traditionalist game show fans will even give half a chance to stuff like Fake-a-Date. I can't believe that even in their wildest dreams, GSN execs believe Joe Millionaire's dating epic will lure zillions of TPiR fans. The whole idea of non-trad stuff like Fake-a-Date is to get a NEW audience.

Trouble is, the current syndie dating shows are losing audience as we type. So, yeah, I get the feeling that in their worst nightmares, GSN execs think that Fake-a-Date, and possibly Kenny vs. Spenny and Spy TV, will not just turn off most of the traditionalists (a given) but also fail to attract new viewers.

The blackjack show is closer to traditional in-studio gamers, so the execs probably figure it's the safest show to lead the changes with on March 15. They sure aren't kicking things off with two hours of Spy TV.

As I said before, I'm honestly surprised that these plodding statements of the obvious are controversial with anybody. That's what I really "just don't get."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 08:32:42 AM by CaseyAbell »

aaron sica

« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2004, 09:14:57 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:26 AM\'] Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that any significant number of  traditionalist game show fans will even give half a chance to stuff like Fake-a-Date [/quote]
I don't know about you, but I don't knock shows, no matter how bad they may sound, until I give them a try and watch them. I'm a "traditionalist game show fan", but that doesn't mean I can't like stuff like Fake-A-Date. Does that comment mean I like the show? No. Like I said, don't knock anything until you give it a fair shot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 09:15:37 AM by aaron sica »

AH3RD

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2004, 09:20:04 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 09:45 PM\'] Didn't see this posted anywhere here yet, so I thought I'd go for it.

Love Connection will be making a whopping 21 appearances a week now...

Win, Lose or Draw will be making an exit...

Game related programming will be making an entrance...

Here's a link...

http://adlink.com/resource_center/programm...04&endtime=1770.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED DUE TO GRAMMATICAL ERRORS. [/quote]
 I still see several GS oldies but goodies on the new schedule, so it's not a total loss...
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

CaseyAbell

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2004, 10:45:04 AM »
Sure there are individual exceptions. There are nearly 300 million people in this country, after all. But really, expecting most traditionalist game show fans to give stuff like Fake-a-Date a chance is like expecting most hip-hop fans to groove on Lawrence Welk. I'm sure there are hip-hoppers out there who might ADORE the accordion-meister, but pitching a marketing campaign at them is, well, not a real great idea.

Oh, the March 15 schedule has more than a few oldies but goodies. In fact, the schedule offers eighteen classics and a bunch of traditional in-studio originals from the Boden era. GSN is tiptoeing into non-trad stuff REAL carefully. And my opinion is that they'll show no mercy to any non-traditional shows that hurt their household count, even if they marginally improve the demos. It's been too much of a hard slog back from the near-death experience of last August and September.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 10:45:57 AM by CaseyAbell »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2004, 01:43:37 PM »
GSN execs have the same worry: their core audience won't even give dating or reality games a chance since that audience has already pretty much decided the shows are "Grade-A CRAP."

The day my opinion is the same as every member of GSN's core audience is the day we have TPiR, TJW, TTD, and Bullseye all on the schedule. And now we'll have a 14 page war over the flammable properties of those shows.

I don't think I'm making a blind judgement on Fake-A-Date. I've seen a few of the other "docudatergameries" in the past---they all sucked, and Fake-A-Date looks no different than any of the others.

As for Mole and Spy-TV, I already said, I tried both and didn't care for either. So I'm hardly making a blind judgement there either.

In conclusion: I gave 'em a chance. And they were Grade-A CRAP, IMO. I'm another one who'll watch something I like and not watch what I don't. And I believe I have enough information to make the judgement that I won't like these new shows.

Oh, the March 15 schedule has more than a few oldies but goodies.

It's still missing variety. Anyone who's watched the channel for a few years has probably already seen most of the episodes of these shows. It was much better when there was a completely different schedule on weekends like when I got GSN in 2000. There was Click, Body Language, TTD, Perry CS among others in good times on the weekend schedule. Now a lot of the stuff is heavily rerun-abused, such as WoF, J!, $100k Pyramid, and most recently Hollywood Squares. At least they aquired better episodes of Love Connection.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2004, 01:44:35 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 09:14 AM\'] [quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:26 AM\'] Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that any significant number of  traditionalist game show fans will even give half a chance to stuff like Fake-a-Date [/quote]
I don't know about you, but I don't knock shows, no matter how bad they may sound, until I give them a try and watch them. I'm a "traditionalist game show fan", but that doesn't mean I can't like stuff like Fake-A-Date. Does that comment mean I like the show? No. Like I said, don't knock anything until you give it a fair shot. [/quote]
 While I usually give shows a modicum of a chance; this is the exception--Evan Marriott is less entertaining than reading a New YorK City phone book.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2004, 01:57:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 01:44 PM\'] While I usually give shows a modicum of a chance; this is the exception--Evan Marriott is less entertaining than reading a New YorK City phone book. [/quote]
 I don't know - I think I'll give this one a fair shot first. Then I'll blast it. :)

CaseyAbell

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2004, 03:12:11 PM »
The most rerun-abused classic right now is probably Greed, because of its short run. GSN still gives it two showings a week on the March 15 schedule, but I have to think a rest is coming sooner or later. Can't really say that Jeopardy or WoF look abused to me, because I watch them very sporadically on GSN. Whenever I catch an episode, it seems brand-new. I never watch H2 at all - Bergeron, Marshall, whoever. 100K Pyramid might be a little abused from my viewpoint, though I often catch shows that look new to me.

Which, of course, is the real point. Unless you lock in on a certain show and watch almost every ep religiously, it's hard to complain about rerun abuse. I might miss my guess, but if I sat down and watched GSN straight through from the end of the infomercials to the start of the left coast prime time repeat, at least 75% of the classics would be new eps for me...or certainly episodes that I couldn't remember seeing.

The Boden originals are a different matter, because I've seen virtually all of Lingo and most of Cram and RR...all fairly recently. So they do look a little rerun-frayed around the edges, though I can still enjoy them. If I ever dropped in on Friend or Foe, though, it would look pretty shiny. But I don't plan on doing that any time soon. I've seen enough of the backstabbing-fest.

BrandonFG

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2004, 03:13:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 01:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 09:14 AM\'] [quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:26 AM\'] Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that any significant number of  traditionalist game show fans will even give half a chance to stuff like Fake-a-Date [/quote]
I don't know about you, but I don't knock shows, no matter how bad they may sound, until I give them a try and watch them. I'm a "traditionalist game show fan", but that doesn't mean I can't like stuff like Fake-A-Date. Does that comment mean I like the show? No. Like I said, don't knock anything until you give it a fair shot. [/quote]
While I usually give shows a modicum of a chance; this is the exception--Evan Marriott is less entertaining than reading a New YorK City phone book. [/quote]
 Funny you mention that...on Jimmy Kimmel Live last nite, Jimmy mentioned how Evan hosted a dating show marathon on GSN (and yes, Jimmy called it "GSN" without explanation), and showed a clip of Evan talking about who better to ask to host [a dating marathon]...

To which Jimmy replied, "Um...anyone?!"

OK, you'd have to hear it for it to be humorous. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2004, 05:37:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 01:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 09:14 AM\'] [quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 08:26 AM\'] Oh come on, you can't seriously believe that any significant number of  traditionalist game show fans will even give half a chance to stuff like Fake-a-Date [/quote]
While I usually give shows a modicum of a chance; this is the exception--Evan Marriott is less entertaining than reading a New YorK City phone book. [/quote]
 And why is he always squinting?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2004, 06:23:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 01:44 PM\']
 This show doesn't seem like it will be GSN's best ever original, that's for sure. Speed Dating on PAX will be far more interesting than F-a-D(I've played an intelligent trashman at Speed Dating events and can sort-of relate to it)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2004, 01:28:32 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 06:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 11:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 09:28 PM\'] Whammy? Todd Newton got too loud for me. I know the producers told him to get loud, but he still rubbed my auditory nerves the wrong way. [/quote]
Hold on a second here - they *told* him to get loud?? Hmm....what would the show have been like if he hadn't been told that.... [/quote]
It still would have sucked. [/quote]
 Exactly.  It just sucked that much more with him being loud.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CaseyAbell

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2004, 04:19:41 PM »
By the way, GSN just released the names of the players on the blackjack show. Well, some of the names are a bit...odd-sounding:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040219/lath084_1.html

This is the show that the network seems to be, er, doubling down on. Ken Einiger was on the Travel Channel's blackjack show. "Jane Gamble"? Come on.

Though Chris Moneymaker did win last year's World Series of Poker.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:38:11 PM by CaseyAbell »

uncamark

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2004, 05:04:48 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 04:19 PM\']By the way, GSN just released the names of the players on the blackjack show. Well, some of the names are a bit...odd-sounding:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040219/lath084_1.html[/quote]
Looking at the press release, I see that one of the producers is Paul Abeyta, who worked with Merv on his talk show and "Dance Fever" back in the day.  One can only hope that this will be better than Abeyta's last venture for GSN--"Burt Luddin's Love Buffet."