Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The new GSN schedule effective March 15th...  (Read 23812 times)

CaseyAbell

The new GSN schedule effective March 15th...
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2004, 02:29:57 PM »
I like the GAA segments, so I hope they continue. The wife-carrying bits were funnier than just about anything that ever happened on the old Dawson Feud, especially after Richard started to fade away into mumbling and disinterest.

There's so much Feud on the current and future GSN schedule that it makes little difference if Saturday night sees a half-hour or full hour of the show. We're talking about the difference between 10 1/2 hours or 11 1/2 hours of Feud each week on the March 15 schedule.

BTW, I apparently got the latest household rating for the Karn Feud wrong. It was 2.6, not 3.3.  Still a season high according to Variety.

One more edit: I get the feeling that GSN is approaching its Joe Millionaire dating show with, shall we say, some trepidation. GSN kicks off the March 15 changes with a double run of the blackjack show on Monday, followed by the Mole and the blackjack show again on Tuesday. Evan Marriott doesn't get his shot until Wednesday.

Yeah, he settles into his Monday night slot the week after. But GSN has already ordered more blackjack. I haven't seen any similar enthusiam for Fake-a-Date. The show might be cheesy fun, but you know the game show hard-cores will hate it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 02:49:31 PM by CaseyAbell »

melman1

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2004, 03:50:19 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 12:29 PM\'] [Fake-a-Date] might be cheesy fun, but you know the game show hard-cores will hate it. [/quote]
 Please take your "oh, those nasty hard-core classic fans" arguments back to GSN's boards.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2004, 03:55:52 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 04:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 12:29 PM\'] [Fake-a-Date] might be cheesy fun, but you know the game show hard-cores will hate it. [/quote]
Please take your "oh, those nasty hard-core classic fans" arguments back to GSN's boards. [/quote]
I second that. It's very bothersome to be put in some "group" just for not liking the concept of a show. I actually had high hopes for Cram until I saw it on the air, and I like Whammy, Russian Roulette, and the first two seasons of Lingo.

Fake-A-Date, from the blurbs in the LC marathon, looks like Grade-A CRAP.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 04:10:39 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2004, 04:41:29 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 04:55 PM\'] I second that. It's very bothersome to be put in some "group" just for not liking the concept of a show.

Fake-A-Date, from the blurbs in the LC marathon, looks like Grade-A CRAP. [/quote]
 I think these two sentences together are pretty much the point that Casey was making.  If you're a fan of the traditional studio-bound game show, you're probably going to be turned off by Fake-A-Date even before you've seen it.  (I have spectacularly little interest in watching it myself.) No matter how much "cheesy fun" it may turn out to be, there will be a group of traditionalists who will rip it to shreds.  There doesn't appear to be anything out of place in making that observation.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2004, 05:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 06:53 PM\']
well did they switch to the Big Band theme during the middle of the season?
cause I remember they used Changing Keys and all the lights on the board "moved" (if you will) and later on when they switched to the Big Band theme, only the little lights moved. I don't know why I remember things like this but I do.

AFAIK, the Big Band theme was used from the start of the 94-95 season, up until the 1997 season. However, I have a Wheel CD-ROM game from c. 1994, and that actually used the 1992 theme, but had the 1994-95 puzzleboard.  Despite that, I still don't think they ever used Changing Keys 92 with the 94 board. [/quote]
 Yep, and after the Sony Interactive logo played, they played the Opening from the 92-94 seasons. I believe.

I can't remember which opening (92-93 or 93-94) they used. Any difference between the 2?

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2004, 05:02:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 05:41 PM\'] I think these two sentences together are pretty much the point that Casey was making.  If you're a fan of the traditional studio-bound game show, you're probably going to be turned off by Fake-A-Date even before you've seen it.  (I have spectacularly little interest in watching it myself.) No matter how much "cheesy fun" it may turn out to be, there will be a group of traditionalists who will rip it to shreds.  There doesn't appear to be anything out of place in making that observation. [/quote]
 Point taken. But still, it's almost a crusade for him over at GSN to go after anyone who doesn't like the concept of a new original and label them as a member of "the die-hard classics group," which is basically labeling you as another jessecartieri or billcullen5555. I find that unfair, because while I've had some not-so-nice things to say about GSN programming in the past [and likely will have in the future] I didn't make 13,000 posts professing my hate for Rich Cronin [I don't hate him, per se, I just don't care for him] like said trolls.

That said, I've changed my opinion of World Series of Blackjack. It looks like it might not be so bad after all. But I still would've waited to see the numbers before ordering two more blackjack series.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2004, 05:14:46 PM »
Thanks for understanding -- and for keeping an open mind about things like Blackjack.  I know it may not be easy, but I'd sure appreciate it if GSN Board animosities stayed on the GSN Boards.  Casey's point was broad, general and pretty accurate.  I was amazed to see it attacked, and I'm only now understanding that it's based on relationships you guys have over there.  

Keep in mind that many of us don't go to the GSN Boards regularly.   I consider myself a die-hard classic fan, and I don't even know who jessecartieri or billcullen5555 are.  Don't go looking for insults that aren't there.  I mean that aren't *here*.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2004, 05:22:48 PM »
I'd sure appreciate it if GSN Board animosities stayed on the GSN Boards.

As would I, and probably a lot of others here too.

I don't even know who jessecartieri or billcullen5555 are

They'd jump in front of a speeding train to save tapes of Quiz Kids Challenge, let's put it that way.

It would probably be in the best interest of all involved to drop this now and get back to the subject at hand.

keeping an open mind about things like Blackjack

Out of all the new things coming, it looks like the best of the bunch. I never really digested the concept of The Mole, I saw Spy-TV once and didn't like it, and I've already said my piece on Fake-A-Date. I'll reserve full judgement on Extreme Dodgeball until we know some more about it.

Speaking of which, was it ever announced what the "mystery show" Mindless was doing for GSN was?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 05:26:05 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

dzinkin

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2004, 05:27:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 05:22 PM\'] They'd jump in front of a speeding train to save tapes of Quiz Kids Challenge, let's put it that way. [/quote]
 Er... I wouldn't jump in front of a speeding train to save *any* game show tapes.  (Sorry, Matt, that includes Quizbusters. :-P)  I don't care what board you're on, they're just game shows.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2004, 05:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 06:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 05:22 PM\'] They'd jump in front of a speeding train to save tapes of Quiz Kids Challenge, let's put it that way. [/quote]
Er... I wouldn't jump in front of a speeding train to save *any* game show tapes.  (Sorry, Matt, that includes Quizbusters. :-P)  I don't care what board you're on, they're just game shows. [/quote]
 Which is the point I was making. Those two take GS's WAY too seriously.

melman1

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2004, 06:08:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 02:41 PM\'] No matter how much "cheesy fun" it may turn out to be, there will be a group of traditionalists who will rip it to shreds.  There doesn't appear to be anything out of place in making that observation. [/quote]
The observation itself is flawed, as it assumes that anyone would like (or dislike) a show simply because they are a "traditionalist" when maybe, just maybe, they have a fully functioning brain that can decide what is and isn't crapola on a show-by-show basis.

These boards usually operate at a higher level than that, which is why I requested that the argument go back to from whence it came.  (Which doesn't look quite right grammatically but so be it.)  Hardly worth being "amazed" over, I'd think.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 06:11:20 PM by melman1 »

FeudDude

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2004, 08:28:32 PM »
I personally would love to see them show one of the early '90s WOF seasons.  1993-94 would be great (and yes, I remember that puzzleboard very fondly).  Actually I'd really love to see the 92-93 season again, but I am aware that GSN showed that one before I started getting the channel, so I digress.

Also, I believe the 92-93 and 93-94 openings were pretty much identical visually except that in the 92-93 season, "10th Anniversary" appeared at the beginning I believe.  Charlie's spiels were slightly different in the two seasons as well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 08:30:59 PM by FeudDude »

CaseyAbell

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2004, 09:28:35 PM »
Gee, you take a walk and a thread develops about you. I thought my observation was tepid, almost a truism. And the comments after the observation helped to prove my point. I'm sure that GSN execs have the same worry: their core audience won't even give dating or reality games a chance since that audience has already pretty much decided the shows are "Grade-A CRAP." That's why they're kicking off the changes with a double run of blackjack instead of a double run of Fake-a-Date. That's why they've ordered more episodes of blackjack and none of the other non-trad shows.

This is controversial? Looks more like a recognition of reality to me. Of course GSN isn't going for the traditionalists with Fake-a-Date or Spy TV. Those shows are designed to appeal to a new audience that's not interested in traditional, in-studio game shows. I don't know why anybody should get upset over this thuddingly obvious fact.

But luring a new audience is really tricky. You risk turning off the traditionalists, who of course will tend to regard the new stuff as "crapola." So GSN is hedging its bets by not committing too heavily to the further-out non-traditional stuff. Wow, this is a blinding insight, no?

In other top-secret, highly controversial news...the sun sets in the west.

EDIT: By the way, I like the fast-paced slapstick and silliness on Cram, and I'm happy that GSN is bringing the show back, if only in reruns. Nice to see the return of RR to nighttime, too. I also think the third season of Lingo is the best yet, with a much better set and a sidekick to smooth out the judging decisions and transitions between puzzles. Now if we could only get rid of the scoring updates after every puzzle...

Whammy? Todd Newton got too loud for me. I know the producers told him to get loud, but he still rubbed my auditory nerves the wrong way.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 10:06:25 PM by CaseyAbell »

melman1

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2004, 11:17:46 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 07:28 PM\'] You risk turning off the traditionalists, who of course will tend to regard the new stuff as "crapola." [/quote]
 You just don't get it, do you?   If I dislike crapola, don't brand me with a label.  Just describe me as "one who dislikes crapola".

For the record, I consider TJW, Bullseye, PYL and reality shows to collectively be crapola.  What categorization would you use to describe that?

tommycharles

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2004, 11:48:56 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 16 2004, 09:28 PM\'] Whammy? Todd Newton got too loud for me. I know the producers told him to get loud, but he still rubbed my auditory nerves the wrong way. [/quote]
 Hold on a second here - they *told* him to get loud?? Hmm....what would the show have been like if he hadn't been told that....