Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nighttime Price Is Right Question  (Read 6550 times)

GSRebich

Nighttime Price Is Right Question
« on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
Now I've read that from Show #215N until the end of 1970s syndicated nighttime run of "The Price Is Right" that Clock Game was played for 3 prizes. When they increased it to 3 prizes, did they increased the time limit too?

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: Nighttime Price Is Right Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »
Now I've read that from Show #215N until the end of 1970s syndicated nighttime run of "The Price Is Right" that Clock Game was played for 3 prizes. When they increased it to 3 prizes, did they increased the time limit too?

Nope -- it was always 30 seconds on the clock.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:05:16 AM »
That's something that looks like a worse deal than it is. Since you get partial credit anyway, it's just a chance to win more, but the average viewer is going to look at that and say "That's too hard!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:26:03 AM »
That's something that looks like a worse deal than it is. Since you get partial credit anyway, it's just a chance to win more, but the average viewer is going to look at that and say "That's too hard!"

Yes, but they were also casting more sensible contestants, so I'm guessing they did it when they discovered people were frequently winning with 10+ seconds left, as opposed to the drooling idiots in the BOB STILL ROOLZ T-shirts they get these days.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:52:26 AM »

Yes, but they were also casting more sensible contestants, so I'm guessing they did it when they discovered people were frequently winning with 10+ seconds left, as opposed to the drooling idiots in the BOB STILL ROOLZ T-shirts they get these days.

Ah yes. The good old days.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 03:22:26 AM »

I'm sure it was a lot more housewives as well, as opposed to the 20-something drooling idiots you speak of. A contestant pool who either watched the show frequently or did the shopping for the family.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
I remember that early on with the nighttime show, if the contestant got both prizes in the Clock Game and had at least five seconds left, they also won $1,000.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
I remember that early on with the nighttime show, if the contestant got both prizes in the Clock Game and had at least five seconds left, they also won $1,000.

Two seconds, actually.  They only did it six times.

Bob Zager

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »

I can see the contestant putting extra pressure on him/herself, and making it hard, but if they were to stay calm, and move along more at ease, it wouldn't be as hard.   I even recall Barker mentioning at times that clock game is a lot easier than it looks, because it is more a game of skill, than luck!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »

Proportionally that seems like a big reward in addition to the prizes for accomplishing something that happens quite a lot. (Unless people spoke slower in those days.)
Travis L. Eberle

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »
If I ever get to be a contestant, I'd love to play the Clock Game.  I honestly think that if you concentrate, it's one of the easiest games and can be won every time.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »

I can see the contestant putting extra pressure on him/herself, and making it hard, but if they were to stay calm, and move along more at ease, it wouldn't be as hard.   I even recall Barker mentioning at times that clock game is a lot easier than it looks, because it is more a game of skill, than luck!
It's really more listening and comprehension more than anything. If you pay attention to Bob or Drew's "higher"/"lower", you're in good shape.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »

Proportionally that seems like a big reward in addition to the prizes for accomplishing something that happens quite a lot. (Unless people spoke slower in those days.)

Clock Game was still brand new back then, so the contestants hadn't gotten used to how to play the game yet. In fact, of those six playings, no contestant won the $1,000 bonus.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
So this was 1973? That makes sense.

Follow-up then; how many won both prizes? $100 per second makes sense, or $1,000 for 10 seconds remaining--having two seconds left seems arbitrary to me.
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 01:08:14 PM »
1972, actually (with the exception of the sixth playing, taped in January 1973).

Of those six playings, three of the contestants won only the first prize. One contestant won both prizes with one second left on the clock. And two contestants won both prizes as the clock hit zero.

And the seventh time they played Clock Game on the Dennis James version (the first time they played it without the $1,000 bonus), the contestant won both prizes with nine seconds remaining.