Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Don't Say! celebrity listings (1963-69 daytime)  (Read 2422 times)

thomas_meighan

You Don't Say! celebrity listings (1963-69 daytime)
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
This was added some months ago, but I only noticed it now:
http://ctva.biz/US/GameShow/YouDontSay.htm

While CTVA's celebrity lists for game shows aren't always perfectly complete, they look to be a pretty accurate representation of what TV Guide and newspapers published.

Observations on the celebs who played YDS!:

--Some of the more frequent players: Pat Carroll (25 weeks), Ruta Lee (14 weeks), Mickey Manners (12 weeks), Rose Marie (12 weeks), Betty White (11 weeks), Jaye P. Morgan (10 weeks). Not all weeks are accounted for, so some of these could be higher.

--Many game show hosts played over the years, including Bill Cullen, Jack Narz, Allen Ludden, Peter Marshall, Gene Rayburn, Wink Martindale, Dennis James, Hal March and even Bob Barker. Jack Narz periodically sub-hosted while Tom Kennedy played.

AFAIK, the episodes known to exist from the original series are--

Daytime:
4-5-1963 w/Betty White & Barry Sullivan [B&W kinescope]
3-29-1967 w/Pat Carroll & Mel Torme [color tape]
1 from week of 4-14-1969 w/Jaye P. Morgan & Rod Serling [color kinescope]
7-23-1969 w/Tina Cole & Don Grady [color tape]

Nighttime:
1-14-1964 w/Laraine Day & Michael Landon [B&W kinescope]
3-3-1964 w/Pat Carroll & Gary Lockwood [B&W kinescope; held by Paley Center--corrected]

UCLA's database indicates that it has the 7-18-1963 episode, but gives the celebrities as Laraine Day and Michael Landon (not Mona Freeman and Jack Ging). I suppose it could be from the January '64 daytime week. Their database also states they have #1567 as a color kinescope. This number would fall around the time of the Morgan/Serling week and might be the same episode.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:30:42 PM by thomas_meighan »

Eric Paddon

Re: You Don't Say! celebrity listings (1963-69 daytime)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
When I saw the Carroll-Lockwood episode at the Paley Center years ago it was a B/W kinescope.    I wasn't aware of a color version existing.

thomas_meighan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:31:52 AM »
On ATGS there was discussion of a color clip of YDS! being used in That Thing You Do (on TV sets in the background of a scene), said to be of a nighttime episode held at the NYC branch of what was then the Museum of TV and Radio. Perhaps I mentally merged it with the Carroll-Lockwood episode.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 01:52:20 AM »
I think my understanding was they used the Carroll-Torme episode for that.

The Pyramids

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
Would Barker have had something comping up on NBC to tie into his appearance like a parade or beauty pageant?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »
Would Barker have had something comping up on NBC to tie into his appearance like a parade or beauty pageant?

It doesn't look like it.  The Miss USA Pageant (which Bob had hosted for the first time) had aired two months earlier on CBS.  At that particular moment in time, he was a month into his six-month run hosting The Family Game on ABC.  He had also been an NBC daytime star for more than a decade with Truth or Consequences, and that show was about to start its second year in syndication.  So he was busy, just not for NBC.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.