Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Buzzr "Lost and Found" stunt  (Read 17535 times)

arrowood20

Re: Another Buzzr "Lost and Found" stunt
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:24 PM »
Based on the commercial I just saw, it looks like Winner Take All, Play for Keeps, the Trivia Trap pilot, Choose Up Sides and Play Your Hunch will be part of it. There is also a reference to the "very first" episode of Match Game, which I would assume is the pilot again, unless they found the premiere episode.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
Based on the commercial I just saw, it looks like Winner Take All, Play for Keeps, the Trivia Trap pilot, Choose Up Sides and Play Your Hunch will be part of it. There is also a reference to the "very first" episode of Match Game, which I would assume is the pilot again, unless they found the premiere episode.

I know they're not catering to the obsessive fans with this, but I get the impression that there may not be anything genuinely "new" to us this time around, unless somehow there's an extra episode of one of those fifties shows that GSN never got around to airing.  Still a nifty stunt, and I'm sure a significant chunk of their audience never saw the old black & white shows on GSN.  Whether that demographic particularly cares is another question.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

snowpeck

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Here's the schedule. It runs Mon-Fri 8P-10P with a repeat from 11P-1A Eastern time. The event also runs in a marathon on Sunday, September 17, from 4PM to 2AM.

The channel schedule changes on September 18, with Richard Simmons' Dreammaker, Trivia Trap and Wordplay being added to the lineup. I'll post about that separately.

Monday, September 11:

8PM: Make the Connection 55-0004 (8/4/55, guest: Sam Levenson)
8:40PM: Choose Up Sides 56-0001 (1/7/56)
9:20PM: The Match Game pilot

Tuesday, September 12:

8PM: Wordplay - Pilot
8:30PM: Wordplay #0001 (12/29/86)
9PM: Trivia Trap #0001
9:30PM: Trivia Trap #0002

Wednesday, September 13:

8PM: Missing Links - Pilot
8:40PM: Winner Take All #52-0002 (2/28/52)
9:20PM: Play for Keeps - Pilot

Thursday, September 14:

8PM: Richard Simmons' Dreammaker #0001
9PM: Body Talk Pilot
9:30: Star Words Pilot

Friday, September 15:

8PM: It's News to Me (listed as pilot) #51-0001 (5/11/51, guest Mickey Mantle)
8:40PM: Play Your Hunch #60-0002 (4/15/60, guest Jonathan Winters)
9:20PM: Nothing But the Truth pilot
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

thomas_meighan

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »
FWIW, UCLA has a "preview" of Missing Links dated 8-21-1963 with Milt Kamen, Phyllis Newman and Chester Morris on the panel.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »
FWIW, UCLA has a "preview" of Missing Links dated 8-21-1963 with Milt Kamen, Phyllis Newman and Chester Morris on the panel.

That's the one Buzzr will show.  Technically not a pilot in the strictest sense of the word, but let's not split hairs when they're going out of their way to show us the odd stuff.

http://www.usgameshows.net/x.php?show=MissingLinks&sort=1Lewis-Prockter

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:45 PM »
Have they said anything about the Wordplay pilot?  Because if it's the one I think it is, there are any number of treats!

tyshaun1

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
Have they said anything about the Wordplay pilot?  Because if it's the one I think it is, there are any number of treats!
Gotta be the Tomarken pilot, right? That's the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Tyshaun

Sodboy13

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 12:22:46 AM »
New, more-detailed promos now coming out for next week's event. Monday's a night of Gene Rayburn, plus the "first episode" of Match Game. More of note, though is a promised "preview" of a new game show documentary series, Game Changers. This was originally teased by Buzzr about two years ago, but nothing ever came to pass of it. Back then, it was supposed to be a look at people who had a major impact on the industry, and weirdly enough, the supposed interview subjects all seemed to be from Sony properties. Interested to see the final product.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

snowpeck

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
Press release:

BUZZR UNEARTHS HIDDEN TREASURES DURING LOST & FOUND WEEK INCLUDING THE 1962 PILOT OF MATCH GAME, AS WELL AS RICHARD SIMMONS’ RETURN TO TELEVISION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS WITH A RE-AIRING OF 1999’S DREAM MAKER

WATCH BUZZR LOST & FOUND NIGHTLY BEGINNING MONDAY SEPTEMBER 11TH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLAg3zY3KE&feature=youtu.be

Journey with us beneath the abandoned podium as BUZZR takes you on a trip through rarely seen game show gems.  BUZZR is home to the world’s largest retro game show vault and on Monday, September 11th the network will take viewers on a walk down memory lane to the most clandestine portion of their game show treasure chest.

BUZZR Lost & Found will explore iconic hosts such as Gene Rayburn with episodes from Make the Connection, Choose Up Sides and even the original 1962 pilot of Match Game.  In addition, Richard Simmons will be back on television for the first time in years as he graces the BUZZR shiny game show floor as host of Dream Maker from 1999, along with his rare appearance in the 1990 pilot of Body Talk - hosted by Vicki Lawrence but left behind on the cutting room floor having never been sold into production. 

Last but not least, Lost & Found  will include the triple threat of hosts John Daly, Merv Griffin, and Mike Wallace as they entertain us with the 1951 pilot of It’s News To Me, the first nighttime episode of Play Your Hunch, and the pilot of To Tell The Truth… known then as Nothing But The Truth.

BUZZR Lost & Found will feature an abundance of content that hasn’t graced the airwaves for decades and can be seen from 8:00-10:00 pm ET Monday, September 11th – Friday, September 15th.  Lost & Found programming will then repeat each of these days from 11:00 pm-1:00 AM ET.  On Sunday, September 17th, BUZZR will host a special 10-hour marathon in which the network will re-air all Lost & Found content.

LOST & FOUND SCHEDULE:

Monday, September 11th
·        Make The Connection (1955) – First TV game show episode hosted by Rayburn
·        Choose Up Sides (1956) – First episode in the NBC series and hosted by Rayburn
·        Match Game (1962) – Pilot of the original Match Game, hosted by Rayburn

Tuesday, September 12th
·        Wordplay (1986) - Pilot hosted by Peter Tomarken
·        Wordplay (1986) – First episode of the series featuring host Tom Kennedy
·        Trivia Trap (1984) – Hosted by Bob Eubanks

Wednesday, September 13th
·        Missing Links (1963) - Pilot hosted by Ed McMahon
·        Winner Take All (1952) – First game show produced by the Goodson/Todman partnership. Program was broadcast on both radio and television. This is the first television game show Bill Cullen hosted.
·        Play For Keeps (1955) – The pilot was the unsold revival of Winner Take All, hosted by Sonny Fox

Thursday, September 14th
·        Dream Maker (1999) – Hosted by Richard Simmons
·        Body Talk (1990) Pilot hosted by Vicki Lawrence and featuring Richard Simmons
·        Star Words (1983) - Pilot hosted by Nipsey Russell

Friday, September 15th
·        It’s News To Me (1951) - Pilot hosted by John Daly with special guest Mickey Mantle
·        Play Your Hunch (1960) - First nighttime edition of this program, hosted by Merv Griffin
·        Nothing But The Truth (1956) - Pilot episode of what eventually became To Tell The Truth, hosted by Mike Wallace
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BillCullen1

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
Gotta be the Tomarken pilot, right? That's the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Tyshaun 

I had never seen this before. Very nice to see. Seems like the only thing they changed was the host.

BillCullen1

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
More of note, though is a promised "preview" of a new game show documentary series, Game Changers. This was originally teased by Buzzr about two years ago, but nothing ever came to pass of it. Back then, it was supposed to be a look at people who had a major impact on the industry, and weirdly enough, the supposed interview subjects all seemed to be from Sony properties. Interested to see the final product.

We now have a date for this. October 20, per the Buzzr promos.

Sodboy13

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
Watching the pilot and premiere back-to-back really emphasized how much of the show depended on the celebrities' ability to deliver the material. Pat and Betty were a riot on the pilot. Everyone on the premiere seemed uneven, at best.

Also, from the minutiae department: A comma on an eggcrate display? There's something you don't see every day.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
On that Play For Keeps pilot, I wonder what would've happened if the champ said he/she didn't want to take on the challenger. Does Sonny Fox say "Thanks for coming from Hawaii, but we can't use you?" They sure gave away big money for a simple quiz. I would have expanded it to maybe five right answers to win, instead of three.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »
The challenger and the challenger-in-the-wings play for whatever the base amount would be.
Travis L. Eberle

Bob Zager

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »

Tyshaun 

I had never seen this before. Very nice to see. Seems like the only thing they changed was the host.

More than just the host.  Rod Roddy announced the pilot episode, and Charlie O'Donnell announced the entire series run!  In addition, the main game's board grid was set up differently (with some pre-set blocks), and did not feature a "bonus word."  Although played the same, the pilot's "bonus round," was called "speed word," on the first episode of series, and after that, was called the "double definition," round.