Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay Find: "Lost TV Game Show"  (Read 42296 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: eBay Find: "Lost TV Game Show"
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2017, 02:46:57 AM »
As some of you saw in person, and I hope others saw online, I was happy to announce that our crowdfunding effort resulted in so much of an overage that we ended up donating $250 to the Throwdown efforts for Children's Miracle Network. Congratulations to all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2017, 03:26:42 AM »
*like*
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
The film is being transferred Wednesday.  The transferer is a little old-school, so I'm going to get a physical DVD in the mail.  I'm going to guess by about Monday (a week from today) we'll have our prize!

KWJCDon

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
Matt,

Thank you again for spearheading this effort. It is much appreciated!!

Don

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »
Transfer has been completed.  I'm told it went well, but that there's one spot near the end where the quality isn't quite as good.  Still watchable, I'm told, just not as good as the rest.

I've very specifically kept myself in the dark about the contents.  I want us all to experience it for ourselves.

It'll probably be put in the mail tomorrow.  I should have it by Monday, maybe sooner.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »
I have the video, and on Monday, it will be ready for release.

If you mailed me a check, I have your physical address and will mail you a DVD.
If you sent me money through Paypal, I'll contact you through the e-mail you provided and give you Dropbox instructions.
If I've put you in the wrong distribution camp (if a PayPal person wants a DVD, for example), let me know at ottinger@starfleet.com before Monday.
(After Monday is fine too, it'll just take longer for you.)

I will tell you two things.  The focus problem we were worried about is only in the final recap segment, not during the game.
You have been generous and patient.  That sort of behavior should be rewarded.  So it will be.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
I have the video, and on Monday, it will be ready for release.

Whee! Thanks, Matt!
czambo@mac.com

Kevin Prather

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »
Looking forward to it! Thanks again for spearheading all of this.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »
Matt: please be generous on how long you leave the Dropbox up for those of us who are running from spinning death right now.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Otm Shank

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
Hey, not to get all technical -- I know, that is so unbecoming of this board -- but this is still a business transaction, and so it probably would be a good idea to establish some terms so that everyone is on the same page before the video is distributed.

I suggest:

• There is no expressed or implied ownership of copyright conferred.
  • No one in this transaction has a claim on the physical possession of the film. I think it would be a good idea to donate the film to the Paley Center, the Museum of Broadcast Communication, the UCLA Film & TV Archive or some other non-profit repository once we are sure that we have satisfactorily completed the digitization.
  • If we accept any latecomers who would like to obtain the video, they would be responsible to making a $9 minimum donation as was conducted previously. If a physical DVD is requested, the costs of such would be tacked on. We should establish a sunset, say, 180 days/1 year from now.
  • If for any reason there are monetary proceeds from the film, DVD, or digital media, then those proceeds will be donated as conducted previously. This applies also if (in the extraordinarily unlikely event) it is determined that intellectual property rights were conferred by the eBay auction.
  • This group will not impose a restriction on people in this transaction from making copies, distributing, selling, or posting to social media, however those who do so are individually liable for those actions from the copyright holder. While there is no restriction from the group, we strongly discourage public sharing of this media, since we all have made a personal investment in the preservation of this media.

Again, a lot of technical stuff, but I think it is important to spell all of these things up front, lest we have legal issues down the line. There is a microscopically small chance that this could be a valuable property, and we need to protect everyone in the group.

Please feel free to hack this up and suggest changes, and maybe we will have a consensus on the terms.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »
I appreciate your concern and your enthusiasm, but this is much ado about very, very little.  In the end this is just a game show video that a bunch of collectors are getting their hands on at the same time.  There are thousands of such videos in circulation, some more widely circulated than others.  Nothing to get worked up about.

Tomorrow, I'll start sharing the Dropbox folder with e-mails I have from your PayPal payments.  DVDs have already been burned and will also go out in Monday's mail.

mmb5

« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »

Please feel free to hack this up and suggest changes, and maybe we will have a consensus on the terms.

Lighten up, Francis.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
All (save one) of you who sent a PayPal payment (and who didn't specifically tell me that you'd prefer a DVD) should now have received a notification from Dropbox that you have access to the folder.

Whichever among you is Red Up Design, PayPal did not give me an e-mail address for you, so you don't have your link yet.  Contact me.

Also, if I accidentally put a second item in the folder, then you should absolutely take advantage of my absent-mindedness and download that as well.  Chances are I will have absent-mindedly put it on the DVD as well.

Contact me at ottinger@starfleet.com with any problems.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
Also, if I accidentally put a second item in the folder, then you should absolutely take advantage of my absent-mindedness and download that as well.  Chances are I will have absent-mindedly put it on the DVD as well.
I was curious as to whether that was just a fun bonus--I'm particularly interested to see it because the forebearer is one of my favorite games of old.
Travis L. Eberle

calliaume

« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »
Got it.  Thanks very much!