Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay Find: "Lost TV Game Show"  (Read 42264 times)

MrBuddwing

eBay Find: "Lost TV Game Show"
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
It's a kinescope of something called "Make Your Move," it was produced by Goodson and Todman, and the seller couldn't find any info about it. (Unsold pilot, perhaps?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Lost-TV-GAME-SHOW-16mm-KINESCOPE-Movie-TV-Make-Your-Move-1950s-1960s-vtg-/263086045424?hash=item3d412678f0:g:38wAAOSwlRpZZuEQ

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Re: eBay Find: "Lost TV Game Show"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
Interesting that "What's Going On?" is the crossed-out title at the top of the photo...
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

gamed121683

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »
Interesting that "What's Going On?" is the crossed-out title at the top of the photo...

Good catch! You don't think that's the missing 5th and final episode of the series, is it? Not like anyone of us clamoring to see more of that dud turn up...

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:07:02 PM »
The date on the reel (also partially crossed out) seems to be 11/18/54, if that helps any.

From what I can tell, having searched between 1946-79 (to cover all the bases), it wasn't mentioned in Variety or Broadcasting at any point.

You don't think that's the missing 5th and final episode of the series, is it? Not like anyone of us clamoring to see more of that dud turn up...
If I'm not mistaken, GSN aired the other four episodes, so I'd be all for a complete set...but this doesn't seem to be that unless it's on a later part of the reel (the seller notes that "I only looked at the beginning of the roll, so I don't know how many episodes are on the reel.").
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:21:18 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:25:37 PM »
Not like anyone of us clamoring to see more of that dud turn up...

The host was a dud and things could have been funnier, but What's Going On wasn't a bad idea for a panel show, especially if it they'd tried again when technology was better.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
It's a kinescope of something called "Make Your Move," it was produced by Goodson and Todman, and the seller couldn't find any info about it. (Unsold pilot, perhaps?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Lost-TV-GAME-SHOW-16mm-KINESCOPE-Movie-TV-Make-Your-Move-1950s-1960s-vtg-/263086045424?hash=item3d412678f0:g:38wAAOSwlRpZZuEQ

Almost certainly an unsold pilot, though I can't find anything about it. 

The very fuzzy pictures provide only the barest of clues.  The host appears to be wearing glasses -- Ludden, perhaps?  The most interesting thing to me, though, is that the contestant nameplates appear to be displaying first and last names, unheard of for regular contestants.  These might very well be celebrities, though it's very hard to make out any detail.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
Despite the 1954 date on the reel, this is almost certainly from the 1960s, based on the set design, title logo, and G-T typeface at the end of the show.  The men's hair also indicates 1960s.

I'm wondering if the full names on the nameplates means they were "celebrities" playing for members of the studio audience or home viewers, which seemed to be a trend in the late 1960s.

As for the host, could be Allen Ludden or Robert Earle.

Note this says there could be more than one episode on the roll.  If we're that curious, we have five days to crowdfund $120.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »

While it would be lovely to find another project Earle might have been attached to (many of us have seen the unsold King of the Hill pilot from the 1970s), of the two, Ludden seems a lot more likely.

Note this says there could be more than one episode on the roll.  If we're that curious, we have five days to crowdfund $120.

I think all he's saying is he doesn't know, and reels like that typically only had one show on them.  More troubling to me is the comment that "It is not a super sharply focused film visually," an observation borne out by the stills.  The kinescope itself is out of focus, and even the most pristine transfer to digital isn't going to correct that.  So this isn't going to be perfect, but I bet it'll still be interesting.

So let's see how interesting.  I'll get the ball rolling by saying I'm looking for at least ten people willing to pledge no more than twenty dollars to the project.  I will take responsibility for bidding on the item and, if we win it, arranging for it to be transferred.  The transfer is why the cost will probably approach $200 when all is said and done.  In the end, the actual cost will be shared equally among all participants, meaning your share will almost certainly be less than $20, and possibly much less.  Everyone who participates gets a digital copy when we're done.

So who's interested?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jimlangefan

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »

While it would be lovely to find another project Earle might have been attached to (many of us have seen the unsold King of the Hill pilot from the 1970s), of the two, Ludden seems a lot more likely.

I think all he's saying is he doesn't know, and reels like that typically only had one show on them.  More troubling to me is the comment that "It is not a super sharply focused film visually," an observation borne out by the stills.  The kinescope itself is out of focus, and even the most pristine transfer to digital isn't going to correct that.  So this isn't going to be perfect, but I bet it'll still be interesting.

So let's see how interesting.  I'll get the ball rolling by saying I'm looking for at least ten people willing to pledge no more than twenty dollars to the project.  I will take responsibility for bidding on the item and, if we win it, arranging for it to be transferred.  The transfer is why the cost will probably approach $200 when all is said and done.  In the end, the actual cost will be shared equally among all participants, meaning your share will almost certainly be less than $20, and possibly much less.  Everyone who participates gets a digital copy when we're done.

So who's interested?

I'll bite.  I'll pledge $20
TV's Big Dealer

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
Absolutely. $20 in.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
Put me down for $20, please.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »
Count me in for $20 as well.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
I'll contribute an equal share as well. I'll also suggest that the room note Matt's language. The total cost is split evenly, and he'll certainly accept more than 10 offers if they come.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

KWJCDon

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
Count me in Matt. Contact me on FB so I can get details where to pay.

Don

chrisholland03

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 02:09:12 PM »
I'm in for $20

--Chris