Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay finds: more Ron Greenberg stuff  (Read 7731 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:00:45 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Matt Ottinger

Re: eBay finds: more Ron Greenberg stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »
* Full credit roll used on the earliest episodes (copyright date of 1969)

That's actually pretty cool.  Not sure it's $250 cool, but cool.

* Photo from an all-celeb game with Arte Johnson and two others the seller couldn't identify

The guy looks for the world like Jim Hutton, an actor of the era not really known for doing game shows.

Could the woman be Betsy Palmer?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:53:34 AM »
To me, it looked like Henry Darrow of High Chapparal
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bob Zager

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »
The contestant stands are just like the ones pictured on the box cover of the home version from Ideal!  Since Wink does not appear in that photo, I wonder if maybe Jack Barry may have hosted the pilot episode (which I assume the photo is from).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
I ended up buying the paperweight.  Thought it looked cool, and knowing it came from Ronnie (without having his name inked on it) makes it that much nicer.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »
The contestant stands are just like the ones pictured on the box cover of the home version from Ideal!
Wow, I didn't even notice that.

Looking at the picture again, I noticed the contestant backdrop has a flat grid of Xs and Os, whereas they were "popped out" by the start of the syndicated run (the circulating CBS shows haven't been online in a while, so I have no way of checking there).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:08:49 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »
Looking at the picture again, I noticed the contestant backdrop has a flat grid of Xs and Os, whereas they were "popped out" by the start of the syndicated run (the circulating CBS shows haven't been online in a while, so I have no way of checking there).

The Xs and Os looked to be popped out on the CBS run. The nameplates were also added by then, so this photo is probably from a pilot. But I wouldn't speculate Jack's there because he hosted. Howard & Ted were firmly Goodson guys by this point, but worked on the original series. The picture is more likely a "reunion" for the producers of the '50s show, bridging the gap with the new producer (Ronnie) being there.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

colonial

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 05:24:52 PM »
Looking at the Pop N Rocker Game booklet, there's a section devoted to the search for a new host, along with photos of six finalists. Among those pictured with Jon Baumann are ...

Franklyn Ajaye (comic who starred in "Car Wash")

Tom Dreesen (who I've seen so long as Frank
Sinatra's opening act I can't see him hosting a "hip" show)

Jay Leno. This is the first time I've heard of this, as well as of Leno auditioning to host a game show of any kind. He was becoming one of the bigger names in standup comedy around that time, and his style wasn't as predictable as his later "Tonight Show" work, so I'm curious how he would have done as an emcee.

JD

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »
Tom Dreesen (who I've seen so long as Frank
Sinatra's opening act I can't see him hosting a "hip" show)

Jay Leno. This is the first time I've heard of this, as well as of Leno auditioning to host a game show of any kind. He was becoming one of the bigger names in standup comedy around that time, and his style wasn't as predictable as his later "Tonight Show" work, so I'm curious how he would have done as an emcee.
Dressen and Leno were two of the main names features in the book I'm Dying Up Here (the same one that spawned the current Showtime TV series) about the standup comedy scene in the late 1970s.  Dressen had just split up with partner Tim Reid and was working The Comedy Store, as were Leno, David Letterman, Richard Lewis, Elayne Boosler, Alison Angrim, and a host of others.

The book deals mostly with the problems of the comics unionizing to get reasonable pay in 1979, and the comics subsequently holding a job action.  Almost every name comic was pro-"union" (Garry Shandling was a notable exception), and The Comedy Store finally settled with the striking comics after one of the anti-union comics narrowly missed hitting Jay Leno with a car (Leno slapped the side of the car as it went by and faked being hit).  Dressen was the ringleader (he had come from a union household, so knew a bit more about organizing), and stopped playing The Comedy Store upon the suicide of fellow striker Steve Lubetkin, who was denied gigs at the club after the job action ended.

It's a great book.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 11:47:20 PM »
Regarding the Let's Play Post Office color photo:  I had a chance or two to see the show on a color TV in 1965 several months before we owned one.  It was in the indoor swimming pool area at the Tan-Tar-A Lodge in central Missouri.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

geno57

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 03:06:20 AM »
* Photo from an all-celeb game with Arte Johnson and two others the seller couldn't identify

The guy looks for the world like Jim Hutton, an actor of the era not really known for doing game shows.

[/quote]

As folks go digging for info on actor Jim Hutton (Timothy’s dad), IMDB carries an error on his page that actually does indicate a connection to the game show genre. But the Jim Hutton who hosted a local game ("The Letter Game") on WNBQ/WMAQ-TV in Chicago, and also had “Everything’s Relative” on the NBC O-and-Os in the mid-1960s, was not the actor. He was a personality from the Twin Cities, whose real last name was “Utton”. Why the union allowed him to use the already-taken moniker of “Jim Hutton”, I’ll never understand. They’re usually sticklers about that.

geno57

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 03:08:27 AM »
I would have loved the credit roll. What a cool bit of memorabilia!

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »
* Shot of what seems to be the Ultimate Challenge of the "1st Pilot"
Judging from this preview commercial (starts at 0:43), I believe that to be the case, the contestant on the spot matches up, as does the text on the video wall.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

CarbonCpy

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
Franklyn Ajaye (comic who starred in "Car Wash")

The first time I had ever heard Ajaye's name was from a Stuart Lee routine from his TV show, "Stuart's Lee Comedy Vehicle."

(nsfw, btw)

edit: "Jazz Comedian" is the other half of that bit if you want to see the rest on youtube

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
* Full credit roll used on the earliest episodes (copyright date of 1969)

That's actually pretty cool.  Not sure it's $250 cool, but cool.

Turns out the credit crawl ended up being $107.50 cool.  It arrived today and I'm thrilled with it.  Pictures to come on FB.