Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: eBay find: ShowDown dice  (Read 7092 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
eBay find: ShowDown dice
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-THE-BIG-SHOW-DOWN-1974-ORIGINAL-GIANT-PROP-DICE-GAME-SHOW-COA-/382127251378?hash=item58f88f1fb2:g:OJAAAOSwiQ9ZQIW3

Just $750 + almost $75 "economy" shipping!  The dice measure 11" cubed with the Show die signed Ronnie and the Down die signed Greenberg.  The seller says these were the dice used on the open of every show.  Included is a photo of the ShowDown pilot signed by Ronnie Greenberg with what are presumably these dice on the rolling table.

The same seller has more Greenberg memorabilia, including a closing credit roll from The Who, What, or Where Game.

Matt Ottinger

Re: eBay find: ShowDown dice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:37:31 PM »
+ almost $75 "economy" shipping! 

Lord.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
How about that deal--a rare thing on eBay that's actually rare.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:07:38 PM »
A few observations...

This is prolly one of the coolest listings I've seen up here in a while. Maybe if we pool together our resources, we could each keep the dice for two weeks and ship from city to city. :P

For some reason, I always thought the dice were made of a hard type of foam, kinda like the large pairs you find at Five Below. I'm guessing the High Rollers dice were also wood?

No matter how long I worked in TV, seeing how tiny a show's set is offscreen will always blow my mind.

Meanwhile, that ticket to The Challengers pilot, autographed or not, is pretty steep at $50.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
I'm guessing the High Rollers dice were also wood?

I believe so, though I do not plan to drill into them to find out. :) They are painted / lacquered enough that I cannot say with 100% certainty, but they are definitely denser than foam and if they were any other more durable material they would be much heavier than they are.

/I see the shipping has dropped to $43.30
//what a bargain!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »
Included is a photo of the ShowDown pilot signed by Ronnie Greenberg with what are presumably these dice on the rolling table.
Interestingly, that's not the same pilot that's been making the rounds. While the first player seems to be the same, the other two don't (the third nameplate seems to read "Sharon", whereas in the circulating pilot it's Elaine).

The Payoff Point shown, 23, is used in the circulating pilot, but the second contestant reaches it there whereas this photo shows the first player doing so.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:01:35 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
/I see the shipping has dropped to $43.30
//what a bargain!
Shipping's still $73.82 here.  You're a lot closer to CA than me.

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:05 PM »

No matter how long I worked in TV, seeing how tiny a show's set is offscreen will always blow my mind.

Oddly enough, Jim Peck said the same thing about the staircase...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:59 AM »
Shipping's still $73.82 here.  You're a lot closer to CA than me.

Huh, I never knew it was customized based on location. Alright then. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
I hafta say, I thought about this for a moment. More than a moment.

Then I just closed the eBay window and am trying to forget it was ever there.
czambo@mac.com

calliaume

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
I thought about it for a few moments.  My ultimate game show prop was always the "birthday cake" button from The Money Maze, so this would be close - but I'd rather spend the money on my family (or save it for when I'll need to pay health care bills).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 02:34:32 PM »
To pour a little water on the fire it sounds like these were not dice used in the play of the end game (because eleven inches cubed is kinda big), but rather ones that sat on the dice table and made up part of the logo.

Reading through that makes the whole venture a whole lot less interesting to me.
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
To pour a little water on the fire it sounds like these were not dice used in the play of the end game (because eleven inches cubed is kinda big), but rather ones that sat on the dice table and made up part of the logo.

Reading through that makes the whole venture a whole lot less interesting to me.
The big turn-off (The Big TurnOff?) to me is that the dice are signed.  Yes, they're unique and cool, but what's the use besides sitting on the bookshelf in the basement, next to some bobbleheads?

/and then there's the whole "costing more than this month's mortgage payment" thing.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »

I guess that explains why there's a sticker for Ron's production company on the side.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »

One could make the argument that they're even more collectable knowing that, because these are the unique pair that made up the logo.  And yes, I missed that the first time through.  I've held a pair of Big Showdown dice, and there's no way they're nearly a foot across.

Also, add me to the group that finds them less attractive because they're signed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.