Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NY Post: Please don't waste your summer watching idiotic game shows  (Read 6205 times)

Sonic Whammy

I'd say this guy is either going to raise your ire around here or fit right in perfectly. There is no in between on this one.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/19/please-dont-waste-your-summer-watching-idiotic-game-shows/

I will say this. His general defense raises up the question that often comes up around here in some form or another. As much as we may want to see shows return to TV in some fashion or another, should the past in fact stay in the past? Are some or all of these shows that have been revived or rebooted too much a product of their time that it is in fact "lazy" to have them be on TV again instead of original scripted programming?

I'm sure this is more a case by case question rather than the lot as a whole, but make of it what you will.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

calliaume

Re: NY Post: Please don't waste your summer watching idiotic game shows
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
Opinions are like noses, everybody has one.

(I have substituted "noses" for another body part.)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:16 PM »
His basic argument fails. He complains that the big four networks are producing inexpensive programming to fill holes in the summer schedule (because, I'll point out, viewership is down anyway, so there's no point in spending scripted-program money on shows that will get lower ratings regardless). To support his position, he cites successful summer dramas from ten years ago... all of which were on basic cable channels (because, I'll point out, those channels use the summer to attract the attention of viewers who would otherwise be watching the scripted shows on the big four networks).

Speaking of "nothing creative happening": These are the same criticisms of The Gong Show that were made back in the '70s. And complaining about all game shows based on the existence of The Gong Show is the equivalent of complaining about all of the police procedurals on TV based solely on The Mysteries of Laura.

chrisholland03

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
It's the NY Post.  It's just fancy toilet paper for the New Yorker that lacks a bidet.

Loogaroo

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
It goes back to the age-old complaint of game shows being lowbrow and gauche because there aren't a gaggle of industry professionals writing the words being spoken, nor are they spoken by the predetermined "beautiful people" they've curated for us.

I could give one rip about Walking Bad or Handmaid's Westworld or any of the other lugubrious, self-important junk that Hollywood demands that I not just consume, but "binge" on. I want to see people having fun and potentially win some money while they do it. Take your "hard-hitting" dramas and buzz off.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »

Moses supposes his noses are roses;
But Moses supposes erroneously.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
And now here's a perfectly pleasant interview with Will Arnett about The Gong Show from a few days ago.

Not just from the same paper.  From the same author.

Opinions are like Celebrity Family Feud.  You'll feel better if you just ignore them.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/16/the-gong-show-is-back-and-its-still-bonkers/
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
Opinions are like Celebrity Family Feud.  You'll feel better if you just ignore them.
Give this man ten silver dollars.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
And a lot of them smell
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 04:12:17 PM »
Opinions are like Celebrity Family Feud.
They're often dirty for no reason?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
I'd say this guy is either going to raise your ire around here or fit right in perfectly. There is no in between on this one.

http://nypost.com

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JakeT

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
It's the NY Post.  It's just fancy toilet paper for the New Yorker that lacks a bidet.

There are New Yorkers lacking bidets?  SHUT YOUR ASS! ;)

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »

Moses supposes his noses are roses;
But Moses supposes erroneously.

Let my people go!

JakeT

Mr. Matté

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 09:26:54 PM »
Opinions are like Celebrity Family Feud.

As usual, Gene, the correct answer. *ding*

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »
His basic argument fails. He complains that the big four networks are producing inexpensive programming to fill holes in the summer schedule (because, I'll point out, viewership is down anyway, so there's no point in spending scripted-program money on shows that will get lower ratings regardless). To support his position, he cites successful summer dramas from ten years ago... all of which were on basic cable channels (because, I'll point out, those channels use the summer to attract the attention of viewers who would otherwise be watching the scripted shows on the big four networks).

Speaking of "nothing creative happening": These are the same criticisms of The Gong Show that were made back in the '70s. And complaining about all game shows based on the existence of The Gong Show is the equivalent of complaining about all of the police procedurals on TV based solely on The Mysteries of Laura.

With most of the networks cranking out serious talent shows of various genres right and left nowadays, this is the perfect time for Gong to return as the "anti" talent show. 

Not to mention they are taking the time and effort to put this incarnation on the opposite end of the Extreme Gong spectrum with what looks to be a larger, but true to the original, set, decent celebrity judges and a first-time emcee that is different than the game show hosts we have seen since YDKJ.

At least most of these modern-day remade game shows keep up with the pace of their originals, unlike the newer originals (and a couple of the remakes) whose pacing, unnecessary padding and extra long pauses regularly stretch 10-15 minutes of material into 30 minutes (see: Squares, Hip-Hop; or Connection, Love).