Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Analyzing the Best Game Show Contestants  (Read 6224 times)

chrisholland03

Re: Analyzing the Best Game Show Contestants
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
Plestatestanies

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »
Though my memory of his actual game play was fuzzy at best, Frank Dillon was treated like the Ken Jennings of Quiz shows, at least in his hometown of Cleveland, in the 70s.  He did a few columns of movie and TV trivia games for nearly a decade in The Plain Dealer after winning a few TOC's on The Jokers Wild.

JakeT

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »
Plestatestanies

I can still show that clip to the most rabid game show haters and still get a laugh out of them!

JakeT

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
As for the tournament entry, I'm pretty sure it was high money winners over the past however-long--so, since you only could win one 5-digit prize, the more main games you won (and, subsequently, WC prizes of $500 or less), the better.

Didn't the ultimate win just augment your score to $20,000, erasing any prior WC winnings? Seems like that was the Bob Stewart S.O.P.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:26 PM »
Indeed. Flat 20K in the ABC era.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »
That's too bad, because Wesley Berry just about demolished everyone in his championship run on American Gladiators. The problem is I don't know what constitutes "readily available," because Willy Gibson was dominant as well, and I think there were other twenty time winners on Concentration.
Wesley Berry was, by far, the greatest contender. He absolutely shredded his competition in his Eliminator runs.

Readily available likely means episodes he can find and watch without much effort.
Well, it's less about "without much effort" and more about "here's the proof of why they're so good". That's why it's tougher in the case of someone like Ruth Horowitz- I can just say outright that she was so good because of her win streak, but I'd like to provide more detail than your run-of-the-mill clickbait list.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 12:40:49 AM »
Some I can think of offhand:
Howard Wilson (Whew!)
Burns Cameron (Jeopardy! - Fleming era)
Frank Spargenburg & Chuck Forrest (Jeopardy! - Trebek era)
Carolyn Raznor (Match Game '79)
John (no last name) (Match Game '90)
Eileen Jason (Joker's Wild)
Helaine Lowrey ($ale of the Century)

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
We did a podcast about that last fall. Hope it helps some:
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now