Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Analyzing the Best Game Show Contestants  (Read 6137 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Analyzing the Best Game Show Contestants
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm starting a small side project where I'm analyzing the play of some of the best game show contestants of all time. Basically, I'll be going back through runs of players like John Hatten, Michael Larsen and the like to illustrate how much better they were than their competition. Someone had already curated stats on Ken Jennings, so I probably won't do that, but if you have some examples of players on game shows that were miles ahead of their competition, throw me some suggestions by replying here. I'll at least do a couple and if things go well, maybe more.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: Analyzing the Best Game Show Contestants
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:32:08 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the results. :)

As for suggestions, lemme see here...
* Alice Conkwright (Sale of the Century)
* Joe Dunn (The Joker's Wild, all-time regular-play champ)
* Pat & Liz McCarthy (Blockbusters; Adam Nedeff's page on the show sums them and their run up pretty well)
* Thom McKee (Tic-Tac-Dough)
* Stan Newman (The Challengers, from what I can tell the show's biggest winner and their only $100K+ champ)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:48:57 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:03:11 AM »
Keefe Ferrandini on Pyramid, unless someone can come up with someone better. Hell, analyzing celebrities on the show could be a project in and of itself.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
Keefe Ferrandini on Pyramid, unless someone can come up with someone better.

I offer Sandy Mumbach, who, back in the $20K era, won 16 consecutive front games, then won the Winner's Circle, and, invited back for a tournament, won that, too.

Unfortunately, no videotapes of her games seem to have survived.
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 06:10:09 PM »
I'm guessing any Jeopardy! player who's won more than 10 or 15 games, with several five-timers from the pre-KenJen era?

Ruth Horowitz on the original Concentration comes to mind. Considering the mental exercises you gotta do with deciphering the rebuses and remembering each prize's location, to do that 20 times is pretty damn impressive.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »
I offer Sandy Mumbach, who, back in the $20K era, won 16 consecutive front games, then won the Winner's Circle, and, invited back for a tournament, won that, too.
It's interesting to me that they would have a tournament featuring people who were very good at the front game but couldn't make it work in the winner's circle.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
It's interesting to me that they would have a tournament featuring people who were very good at the front game but couldn't make it work in the winner's circle.

I was about to say, losing the Winner's Circle 15 times is not my idea of a great champion. Sure winning that many times in the front game is great, but how many of those were well fought games? We don't know.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
First a thought--it would be interesting to compare Chuck Forrest to Ken Jennings in terms of dominance.

For Thom and Joe: how many times did they have a "save your bacon" moment? How many times did Joe win a game because he stole an answer from his opponent? How many times was Thom in danger of losing a game?
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 12:32:29 AM »
Keefe Ferrandini on Pyramid, unless someone can come up with someone better.

Unfortunately, no videotapes of her games seem to have survived.

A bit off-topic, but do you happen to remember how the tournaments in that era worked? Was it something similar to the $100K tournaments?

Also, another dominating champ from years past whose episodes no longer exist: Lew Retrum from Password.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 12:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm looking to provide precedent to contestants who have readily available episodes- that'll allow me to go further in-depth than I would be able to without. Think of this as those ESPN Sport Science sections, but for game shows.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:56:49 AM »
That's too bad, because Wesley Berry just about demolished everyone in his championship run on American Gladiators. The problem is I don't know what constitutes "readily available," because Willy Gibson was dominant as well, and I think there were other twenty time winners on Concentration.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 02:50:31 AM »
Readily available likely means episodes he can find and watch without much effort.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Clay Zambo

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »

I was about to say, losing the Winner's Circle 15 times is not my idea of a great champion. Sure winning that many times in the front game is great, but how many of those were well fought games? We don't know.

No, we don't. As for the WC, remember: it was one-and-done. You didn't get to *play* for $20K unless you'd "lost" two times before.

As for the tournament entry, I'm pretty sure it was high money winners over the past however-long--so, since you only could win one 5-digit prize, the more main games you won (and, subsequently, WC prizes of $500 or less), the better.
czambo@mac.com

chrisholland03

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
I'm assuming 'best' = best game player/strategist/biggest winner vs 'best' = most interesting to watch

Some of the 'best' players in my book were some of the worst strategists. 

see:  Sophie Gerrey/The Joker's Wild

JakeT

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
I'm assuming 'best' = best game player/strategist/biggest winner vs 'best' = most interesting to watch

Some of the 'best' players in my book were some of the worst strategists. 

see:  Sophie Gerrey/The Joker's Wild

"Bacon grease"

JakeT