Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did you want to watch yourself?  (Read 6819 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Did you want to watch yourself?
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:59:09 AM »
As we all should know by now, there's more than a few members of this forum who were lucky enough to get the call so many of us potential contestants long for.

This is going to sound like a strange question but I feel inclined to ask anyway. After everything was said and done and recorded, were you excited to watch yourself on TV once you were told when your show would air (and I'm talking just you, not anybody you know)?

And as a follow up, how inclined would you be to watch yourself now, considering the passage of time?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

Re: Did you want to watch yourself?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:10:28 AM »
Ive never been a contestant on a game show, but I've done other TV and I love watching me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

carlisle96

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »
As we all should know by now, there's more than a few members of this forum who were lucky enough to get the call so many of us potential contestants long for.

This is going to sound like a strange question but I feel inclined to ask anyway. After everything was said and done and recorded, were you excited to watch yourself on TV once you were told when your show would air (and I'm talking just you, not anybody you know)?

And as a follow up, how inclined would you be to watch yourself now, considering the passage of time?

I was on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, taped it and never watched it.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
I agree with carlisle96.  I was on WWTBAM too and was dreading watching it from the start.  (I crashed going for 20K on what many perceive as an easy question.) Plus, I did a goofy dance coming on stage.  It was embarrasing.  I watched it once and that was enough.

I was on Newlywed Game (Sherri's season 6) and - had it not been for a subsequent divorce from my then partner - I would enjoy watching it multiple times over.  It helps that we won.

My conclusion:  winning on the game show (or otherwise being "successful") makes me want to watch myself.  I don't want to watch myself fail.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
Interesting question!

When I was on Wheel in 2006, I was very interested in watching myself only because I wanted to see how they edited the show from what we had experienced on stage (the only parts edited out were a three-in-a-row spinning of "Lose a Turn" and of me accidentally holding the $10,000 Mystery Wedge up a second time because I thought I saw a cue to do so!).  What made me nervous was watching it with all of my grad school colleagues and wondering what they were going to think.

I was much more anxious about watching my appearance on The Chase in 2014, however, because I knew our team had put up such a pitiful score (I think we were the lowest on the US version!) and was a little embarrassed at some of the easy questions I missed.  I still will watch it if it gets reran on GSN, but I don't go out of my way to watch it otherwise unless I'm directly asked by a friend or family member.

However, I've never had any reservations about watching my Wheel episode and typically will watch it at least once a year with students (as a time filler if we finish the semester's material early).  Otherwise, I will typically show either the Michael Larson or Cathy/Lori/Randy episode of PYL in class.  :)  I've never shown my episode of The Chase outside of friends or family, though.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »
Never been a contestant. Don't want to be, don't need to be. I'd rather work the control room.

tomobrien

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:15 PM »
Maybe it's directly proportional to what you won.  I had a viewing party to watch my WWTBAM episode when it aired in 2000, and I can still watch it today.  Conversely, I don't think I've pulled out the DVD with my Jeopardy! 1984 episode in 20 years or so.  Bad haircut, awful suit...and I think my stomach would still churn to watch it.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »
I've been on six...and I cringe every time.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
I've been on six...and I cringe every time.
This.

Watched my episode of The Chase once when it aired and to tweet alongside the show.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

rialtus

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
I wanted to see the episode just to see how it was edited. I obviously already knew the outcome (duh... I lost but got $900 and lovely parting gifts in 1997). I can't say I've seen it in the 20 years since, nor have any desire to see it. Thankfully, my Pictionary isn't on YouTube, and I don't have a VCR anymore, so that's not too big of a deal.

colonial

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
WWTBAM: Never watched the episode where I flamed out in its entirety. I have watched the moment I flamed out a few dozen times, primarily during show prep for my second appearance, where my flameout was shown as an example of what would be airing if we won Fastest Finger.

WWTBAM 2: Watched it in, of all places, Las Vegas, where my father was attending a work-related convention. I joined my dad and his colleagues for a viewing party in his boss's suite at Bally's. Highlights were learning that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's former mother-in-law used to work as a secretary for my dad's company (there was a Rock question in my stack), and getting in the middle of an odd conversation as to whether single Fiona Apple (who was in the FF question I advanced) was related to "that guy in accounting".

2 Minute Drill: Never watched both episodes in its entirety when they originally aired as they were broadcast overnight and I was in a studio, reading the news and sports, both times. Later watched the first episode, but never the second.

1 vs. 100: Watched with my wife and other family members when it first aired.

JD

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
I made a few scattered appearances on GSN Radio.  I had no interest in hearing myself mishear "Eminem" for "M&Ms" and completely blow the question.  I also don't feel my voice is the most pleasant [sic] to listen too, so I didn't really care to hear many of my other appearances either.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
I had no interest in hearing myself mishear "Eminem" for "M&Ms" and completely blow the question.

That awkward moment when "melts in your mouth, not in your hands" is the *really* wrong answer.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Fedya

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
I had a thing for wearing Dad's tacky old ties when we went on the local TV high school quiz bowl show, so I'd be kind of embarrassed to see myself in those if the episodes ever show up on Youtube.  (I have no idea where my VHS tapes of the episodes ended up.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Kevin Prather

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
As for my Millionaire appearance, I saved the entire week to a DVD, but I've probably only watched my own game three or four times. I was more interested in watching my tapemates' games. One of them took a swing for a quarter million in a very exciting game.