Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call it: Is Match Game cancelled or renewed for a third season?  (Read 7784 times)

GameShowGuru

In light of ABC announcing its summer schedule and Match Game is nowhere to be seen, presumably because it's been relegated to airing during the fall, winter, and/or spring. 

However, take into account its falling ratings, in part because its nights and times it has been airing has been changing unexpectedly, plus gaps in airing due to unexpected pre-emptions for other programming (it didn't air January 25, February 1, or May 7), and the fact that as of this post, Match Game is one of 9 ABC shows that have not been declared renewed or cancelled, and while the sproradic scheduling could be a mitigating factor in its ratings slide, the verdict could go either way.

What's your call, will Match Game be cancelled or will it get a third season?

My take, Match Game will get a spot on ABC's Sunday night lineup this fall and spring, but if the ratings continue to slide, its third season will probably be its last.

Chuck Sutton

Re: Call it: Is Match Game cancelled or renewed for a third season?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Since even down a little the 18-49 rating was almost the same as To Tell the truth, which already been renewed for a 3RD run, i would guess another round of Match Game.

In the future either game could be fill in on Sundays until American IDol returns.  ABC has not said idol will air on Sunday but tv writers assume it.

cliffhanger285

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Well the casting site has been down a few weeks, so make of that what you will.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
Wasn't the spring run a sudden decision due to another show being canceled? I dunno if they burned through all the episodes scheduled for summer, but I imagine they're just out of production for the time being, since the summer slots are now filled.

I could be wrong, but if I had to make a prediction, I'm guessing it returns, paired up with Idol.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

daveromanjr

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
Wasn't the spring run a sudden decision due to another show being canceled? I dunno if they burned through all the episodes scheduled for summer, but I imagine they're just out of production for the time being, since the summer slots are now filled.

I could be wrong, but if I had to make a prediction, I'm guessing it returns, paired up with Idol.
When I went to some season 1 tapings they made it known they were already renewed for season 2 and were actively looking for contestants but did not know when they would air.  They've burned through all of the season 2 episodes already but it worries me that they've taken down their contestant search website.  I hope it is back for a third season!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
Alec had become busy lately with his TCM duties and has become a weekly presence on SNL.  Does he have time for Match Game?  It was nice to see MG back but it's no longer appointment television for me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Fedya

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
When the late Robert Osborne was the only host on TCM, he'd do a month's worth of prime time intros in one week, which I'd assume was three nights' worth of intros in an early taping, a break, and three more nights' worth of intros; repeat for five days.

Alec Baldwin's Essentials shoots would be one-day affairs each.  At least, I'd assume that's the reason for separate guest hosts; Robert Osborne and Sally Field could never block out the time at the same time to do their planned second season together since they were doing thirty (I think) intros.  MG could easily schedule around one-day shoots in Atlanta.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Loogaroo

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 04:58:53 AM »
Alec had become busy lately with his TCM duties and has become a weekly presence on SNL.  Does he have time for Match Game?

SNL just aired their season finale last week, so he's got all summer to work with at least.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 07:11:06 AM »
In light of ABC announcing its summer schedule and Match Game is nowhere to be seen, presumably because it's been relegated to airing during the fall, winter, and/or spring. 

However, take into account its falling ratings, in part because its nights and times it has been airing has been changing unexpectedly, plus gaps in airing due to unexpected pre-emptions for other programming (it didn't air January 25, February 1, or May 7),

Ok, so about this... I was catching up on MG on the on demand service last night and the May 7th episode was there - OAD on the info stated that it was May 7th, but there's no reference of it airing on the ABC press site.  Am I guessing it might have aired in Canada only? Or my on demand service had it programmed in but didn't yank it like ABC?  I'm mildly curious.
R.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
Ok, so about this... I was catching up on MG on the on demand service last night and the May 7th episode was there - OAD on the info stated that it was May 7th, but there's no reference of it airing on the ABC press site.  Am I guessing it might have aired in Canada only? Or my on demand service had it programmed in but didn't yank it like ABC?  I'm mildly curious.
R.

Not sure why the OAD had it May 7, but it definitely wasn't scheduled to air that night - from 9-11pm (EST), ABC aired a special on Princess Diana's last 100 days.

Jumpondees

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:55:38 PM »
I'll put my money on renewal.  I'd like to think that ABC using shows like Feud, TTTT, Pyramid, MG, and The Gong Show as "Stop Gap" television gives them the ability to survive since we get them in shorter bursts unless a show is egregiously atrocious.  I'm actually liking ABC wanting to try different things because it's IMO breathing a bit of life into a genre that's been underserved for a while.   

The casting page for MG being down could traditionally be seen as a bad sign, but perhaps they have enough players in waiting for two cycles worth of submissions where they don't need to put out a cattle call for new participants for a third cycle.

I think we see MG again possibly this winter, if not sooner should something else fail.

Otm Shank

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 02:32:00 AM »
Well the casting site has been down a few weeks, so make of that what you will.

Apparently the casting website domain was not renewed, as it went to a squatter on 5/22. I would guess this would be a huge oversight by someone, or the renewal e-mails went to spam or something.

Even IF there was no need for casting (either a cancellation or a deep pool of contestants), you still renew the domain, and keep it going for at least a few years at roughly $1/month. Redirect traffic to another casting entity or to the company page at LEAST. But there is no good business sense to outright abandon the domain.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »
Well, I don't know if was announced in another thread, but a few weeks ago it was confirmed that Match Game was renewed for a 3rd season, or rather it was announced that it would be taping in October.

Well, apparently, the time for casting is now. The site address is now different, now needing you to go to www.matchgamecast.com.

Have to say that I'm tempted a bit.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
I stopped watching it regularly when it moved off of Sunday nights...
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

GameShowGuru

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
It's official: Match Game has been renewed for a third season, it appears that a deal between Alec Baldwin and ABC has been finalized and that most likely triggered the delay in Match Game being (officially) renewed.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/match-game-season-3-abc-alec-baldwin-american-music-awards-jimmy-kimmel-live-brooklyn-1202516879/