Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Snoop Dogg to host "Joker's Wild" reboot  (Read 23605 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Snoop Dogg to host "Joker's Wild" reboot
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
The cohost adds nothing.

The cohost adds cover to the fact that Dogg is in no way shape or form an actual game show host, as pointed out elsewhere.

Odd that you can’t take Jokers off the board but maybe this was to keep the rules simple.

It absolutely was.

Questions were way easy.

It's The Joker's Wild, Jake.

The 420 references will get old fast!

It's Snoop Dogg, Jake.

Folks, as soon as you saw that the title was "Snoop Dogg Presents Teh Joker's Wild" and noted that Snoop's name was ahead of the show's, your expectations should have been MUCH lower than they apparently were.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 12:19:36 AM »
A little bit of "High Rollers" and the Head To Head "Match Game" match thrown in for good measure.  I did like it and will be back next week.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

BrandonFG

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »
There's now a Facebook game as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. They took the original format, added some twists to it and upped the money values. The set looked flashy and so did Snoop in that tux. I get that Snoop's not looking to be the next Monty or Wink, he just wants to have some fun and give away money. I will watch this again. I got a good vibe from this, unlike Hip Hop Squares.

cmjb13

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »
I watched about 15 minutes and had to turn it off.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
There is always an eternal challenge that exists within any thought of reviving a classic game show.

How do you update a show to make it work for today's audience? Can you freshen it up without taking away from what made the show a classic in the first place? Or is a show doomed to just be a product of its time?

From what I saw, as well as the people who group chatted with me, I can say without question that this Joker met the challenge and succeeded. The new category styles (roll for how many clues you get, match game quickies) are fun and fresh but still keep the game moving. I was cracking up at The Dogg Whisperer, loved Nuff Said, so I look forward to seeing those again. And the references to Snoop's life, well, we knew from the previews they were gonna be a little tongue-in-cheek here. There's a reason it's on at 10 on cable. But even that doesn't take away from the game beyond a tiniest degree.

As for Snoop himself, the previews showed that, yes, he's not a host like the ones we grew up on. But he also proved that he's not in this just for the paycheck like other celebrity/comedian "hosts". He came in with a love for the show, and he took his training seriously to learn not just the game, but his role and job in it, inside and out. You can argue that Jeannie Mai is there strictly to cover up his weaknesses, but I honestly see her as perfectly complementary to Snoop's. If Snoop was poor in his half of things, it would be more apparent. But he's not, so it's actually a solid team.

All in all, they got this right. I enjoyed and will continue to do so.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

SamJ93

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
I just finished watching the episode...or rather, I started skipping through after the first five minutes. It wasn't bad, per se...just kinda meh. Snoop is clearly enjoying himself, but the edited-to-hell-and-back style didn't seem to give him (or the contestants) much chance to shine.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2017, 06:43:53 PM »
I had fun watching it. Most modern revivals strike me as “meh.” “Jokers Dizzle” was innocuous enough to get a few laughs. It’s more of a comedy thing than a straight quiz (which makes old school TJW boring)

Casey

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »
I went into the show with an open mind and I enjoyed it for what it was.  It's a respectful nod to the original version.  I like some of the different question types and with the show being self contained, I like that there were new categories at the halfway point.  You kind of know what you are going to get with Snoop Dogg hosting, but he really seemed to enjoy himself, and he wanted the contestants to win.  It definitely didn't feel like he was phoning it in.  I'll keep watching.

Unrealtor

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
They've been pretty loyal to the source material other than making it a vehicle for Snoop's humor, which doesn't offend me, so I feel like it's pretty good.

Other than the categories that were pretty much literally "read someone's mind," my biggest gameplay nitpick is that, if the bonus round we saw was typical, the amounts on the wheels added up to the jackpot quickly enough that there wasn't much time to build up suspense.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Loogaroo

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2017, 04:40:57 AM »
Other than the categories that were pretty much literally "read someone's mind," my biggest gameplay nitpick is that, if the bonus round we saw was typical, the amounts on the wheels added up to the jackpot quickly enough that there wasn't much time to build up suspense.

Do they, though? A $2000 top value on the reels when the goal is $10,000 is proportional to a $200 top value when $1000 was the goal. I believe it took 4 spins to win the bonus round in the premiere, which sounds pretty consistent with the original version.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Unrealtor

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »

Do they, though? A $2000 top value on the reels when the goal is $10,000 is proportional to a $200 top value when $1000 was the goal. I believe it took 4 spins to win the bonus round in the premiere, which sounds pretty consistent with the original version.

I'm pretty sure that the episode Saturday night only took three spins and it didn't feel like there was a lot of time between the spins, but that may just be that I'm used to 2017 where every major reveal or decision has at least a 10-second pause, if not a full-on commercial break, beforehand.

The amounts are in line with adding a zero, but the distribution seems top-heavier, or at least the sub-$1000 amounts didn't come up nearly as often in my sample size of 1 as I remember sub-$100 amounts coming up in Barry's day.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
There's also the issue that Beat Teh Devil was a bonus game designed to play on a show that straddled, so it was over with a little quicker than some.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see it and I'm glad it's there, but that might be a reason it looks odd after a drawn-out seven-round game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe