Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Snoop Dogg to host "Joker's Wild" reboot  (Read 23603 times)

TimK2003

Re: Snoop Dogg to host "Joker's Wild" reboot
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
[Snoop]  Here are the categories for today's game:

CHEECH & CHONG MOVIES
LARRY'S MOE'S AND HEMPS
THE WORLDS HIGHEST...
BONG-O-ROCK
and THE MYSTERY DRUG CATEGORY.  Take it and get doubly high [/Snoop].

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »
I agree that a great number of today's young viewers have no inkling of the past format, and so the title will be married to the new game and live or die on its own merits. As long as they're entertained, the title won't matter. Nick's Double Dare managed to overcome having the same title as the Goodson failure by having nothing that associated with the previous game. Since Dan Enright was mentioned, I share one of his concerns involving reboots. I'd think more than one of us here would like to see some variation of the pure Barry format come back in the future. Enright took the cancellation of the last Tic Tac Dough very hard, because his choices led to a title that was twice associated with success turn into one that would now conjure up images of "flop", wondering if anyone would want to give the show another try. The title was tarnished. Shows like Squares have had successful runs and succumbed to eventual audience fatigue. No shame in that. Like Feud, a few years off the air, and a fresh version could come along. Squares never flopped. If Snoop's version clicks, fine. If it flops - would it hurt chances for a revitalized Barry version? Just some thoughts for what they're worth...

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
If it flops - would it hurt chances for a revitalized Barry version? Just some thoughts for what they're worth...
I don't think so...no worse than Pyramid, with the GSN version only going for a season. If this were for syndication, I'd say maybe, but my fear is that basic cable game shows seem to come and go, then fade into obscurity. Remember Comedy Central's Gong Show?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoItRockapella

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
Nick's Double Dare managed to overcome having the same title as the Goodson failure by having nothing that associated with the previous game.

The difference there seems to me to be that the CBS Double Dare was a four-month flop - had it run for eight years and finally ended its run in 1984 as a beloved hit, Nickelodeon would never had been able to launch a game show under that title.

As for TJW...who knows, I'll try to reserve judgement.

my fear is that basic cable game shows seem to come and go, then fade into obscurity. Remember Comedy Central's Gong Show?

I've been trying for nine years to forget Comedy Central's Gong Show. A even better example in my mind might be Beat The Geeks - that one was fairly successful even, but then one day it just went away and it seems unlikely to me that anyone remembers it now.

Otm Shank

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'd like to take a shot at the categories for his first show...

OLD SCHOOL SHIZZLE
HOW HIGH WILL YOU GO?
DOPE-ASS BIZZLE
POT LUCK (natch)
FAST FORWARD NIZZLE

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
They've since corrected it, but Deadline had the host of the original show as "Chuck Barry." Caused a nice spit-take with my morning beverage.

Sodboy13

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 01:58:10 AM »
That is.........random. Mind you, I'll prolly check it out, but it's definitely not what I expected to wake up to.

It's more of something you'd wake-and-bake to.

But this could work, right? Snoop seems like someone who genuinely likes game shows, given his appearances on Price and Pyramid. It really does depend on what kind of show they build around him. I'm certainly not passing any judgment until some actual format details start dropping.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 07:08:40 PM »
until some actual format details start dropping.

You may assume they will do so in a well-heated manner.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
That is.........random. Mind you, I'll prolly check it out, but it's definitely not what I expected to wake up to.
It's more of something you'd wake-and-bake to.

until some actual format details start dropping.
You may assume they will do so in a well-heated manner.
Points to both of you. :)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

RyanCDN

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
I think given the recent reboot of shows and some of the surprises with hosting, I will take the "wait and see" approach.   I will not hold my breath, but I will certainly keep an open mind. 

Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

Neumms

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
Ran across this:
Soon to join them, "Joker...JOKER...Famous Quotations."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 01:12:02 AM »
Seems like High Rollers would have been a much more logical chipoice given Snoop's involvement, but I digress.

18-34 doesn't like straight quizzes- hell, half of my friends won't even come to trivia night, where cheap beer and half price apps will lure just about anyone, because they fear looking and sounding stupid. Not to say Joker has ever been a brain buster, but perception is everything.

The right people seem to be involved on this one, and considering their track record with the ABC revivals, I'm more than willing to give this a fair shake.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

snowpeck

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
Looks like they just opened two tape dates on August 30 and 31 in Culver City.

https://1iota.com/Show/672/Jokers-Wild
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »
Looks like they're taping at Sony Pictures Studios. I dig the suit, along with Snoop's tux.

/What is that...velvet?

BillCullen1

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
I'll watch the first show just to see how Snoop makes his entrance. I wonder if it will be through a cloud of smoke.