Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who has been your favorite directors?  (Read 10204 times)

johnnya2k3

Re: Who has been your favorite directors?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »
Speaking of Glenn Weiss...I think he directed Nick Arcade as well; at the time, he was still employed with Fox, working at WTTG (the Fox O&O in Washington) and in Los Angeles (directing Studs), though he probably commuted to Orlando for Nick Arcade under the alias "C. Weed."

/Then again, Jack Barry still produced some shows in the '60s under an alias himself

aaron sica

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »
WTTG (the Fox O&O in Washington)

Yes, we're all impressed that you know this.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 11:22:25 PM »
And, frankly, I think most people would say "no"...Breslow was an icon among game show directors...for most people, say the name Glenn Weiss and they say "who?"
I think for most people you'd get the same response to Marc Breslow. Directors in general don't get major credit among the public in almost any fields outside of film.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »
George Choderker was one of the sweetest, nicest guys I have ever worked with. There came a point where I had to offer a suggestion regarding the way he dealt with Allen's answer-reveal cues.

Princess Ludden wanted as many close-ups of himself as possible. George would stay on Allen as he said, for example, "Is it the Eiffel Tower?" There was then a slight stage wait, cut to the puzzle board and reveal. I suggested to George that he anticipate things, e.g. "Is it" [cut to puzzle board] "the Eiffel Tower?" [reveal]. He took the suggestion very kindly and graciously, began shooting it that way and thanked me for the suggestion.

I miss working with George.

George got a call at home one morning after the show had aired. It was Allen. "Does the number six mean anything to you?" asked Allen. "Not really, no. Why?" replied George. Said Allen, "That's the number of close-ups you took of me in the show that just aired."

Truth is stranger than fiction.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2017, 11:55:58 PM »
No love for Lloyd Gross, Stuart W. Phelps, Lou Tedesco or Agar Jaicks?

Ira Skutch was an adequate director but a brilliant producer. Directing was a waste of his talents. He was an excellent judge of how a piece of material would play to an audience, proven by the high ratings Play Your Hunch got on NBC with Merv Griffin.

Or Bill Chesnutt?

BillCullen1

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
George Choderker was one of the sweetest, nicest guys I have ever worked with. There came a point where I had to offer a suggestion regarding the way he dealt with Allen's answer-reveal cues.

Princess Ludden wanted as many close-ups of himself as possible.

George got a call at home one morning after the show had aired. It was Allen. "Does the number six mean anything to you?" asked Allen. "Not really, no. Why?" replied George. Said Allen, "That's the number of close-ups you took of me in the show that just aired."

Truth is stranger than fiction. 

Wow! This is something I would expect from Barker or Dawson, not Ludden. Oh well.

I saw Lloyd Gross' work in action as he directed the syndie WML and TTTT, the latter after Paul Alter left for California.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »
Wow! This is something I would expect from Barker or Dawson, not Ludden. Oh well.

I'm told Allen used to count his close-ups in New York.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
Since we're mentioning every director we can think of, don't forget Chris Darley.