Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TJW production  (Read 2204 times)

whewfan

TJW production
« on: January 26, 2004, 05:41:11 PM »
For the first time, I may be able to do TWO half hour shows.

Here's what I am thinking. The first show will STRADDLE, and the next show will pick up from the first. The second show, of course, won't straddle. There won't be an audience game (as there might NOT be an audience!)

I have penciled in 4 possible contestants, so to make it worth everyone's time, each contestant will play TWO games (a la syndie MG). Also, the bonus game will just be played for "cash". I don't think it's worth the trouble to come up with a bunch of phony prizes, and it'll speed up the game a bit.

The format will be unchanged. I MIGHT reconfigure the set so that the host podium isn't on the opposite side of the stage. In fact, I may not be behind a podium, although I will have something to hold all the questions. So the setup might be similar to the TJW 90 set.

What do you think?

PeterMarshallFan

TJW production
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »
Sounds pretty good. I look forward to seeing some pictures of it!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TJW production
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 06:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 03:41 PM\'] The format will be unchanged. I MIGHT reconfigure the set so that the host podium isn't on the opposite side of the stage. In fact, I may not be behind a podium, although I will have something to hold all the questions. So the setup might be similar to the TJW 90 set.

[/quote]
 I think you should try to be as true to the original set as you can be. If you have three cameras to shoot with, I also think you should make sure you have a podium to work from, even if it's a lectern stolen from a school or something. :)

(If you have fewer cameras, I can see trying to cut down on the number of shot changes. I could prolly block and direct TJW with two cameras for fun, but I wouldn't want to for money....)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

TJW production
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 08:24:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 06:57 PM\'] I think you should try to be as true to the original set as you can be. If you have three cameras to shoot with, I also think you should make sure you have a podium to work from, even if it's a lectern stolen from a school or something. :)

[/quote]
 From what I understand, this is a 3 camera studio. The set will probably be similar to the CBS set.  The set pieces will once again be a combination of milk crates, foamboard, and posterboard.  The host WILL have a podium, but I'm not so sure I'll be behind it for the whole show.

Matt Ottinger

TJW production
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 09:57:04 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 09:24 PM\'] From what I understand, this is a 3 camera studio. [/quote]
 I'm sorry, I don't care whether you're producing for public access or a major network, you really ought to KNOW how many cameras are in your studio before you've gotten too far along in your plans!  If this is something you're thinking about doing professionally some day, you have to realize that there's a whole lot more to the process than just the set and the game.  

Do you have a director?  Does HE know how many cameras are in the studio?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TJW production
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 10:08:48 PM »
Hate to be nit picky, but I think I'd go with Mr. Lemon in saying you should have a podium and further more be behind it during the show. But that's just me. I don't think it'd be too hard to edit in a set of plugs from the syndie TJW or just do plugs for real gifts. If they're not playing for the stuff anyway, why "fake" the prizes?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

davemackey

TJW production
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 10:10:34 PM »
Know your facilities. Find out what sort of audio system you have, how good the mikes are. Television just doesn't happen, and as Matt said, there is a lot of planning that needs to be done. Have several contingencies in place if your production facility doesn't quite have what you need for your dream show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TJW production
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 10:17:22 PM »
I get the idea that there might not BE a director for these things...based on posts and such about past productions, and how long "post" seems to take with each one, it strikes me that they route each camera into a tape deck, roll a tape on that cameras feed, and edit the whole schmiel together after it's all said and done. Which isn't television by a long shot and would be unwieldy as all hell, but I'm not one to besmirch other people's hobbies.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

TJW production
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 10:55:27 PM »
Perhaps I should clarify some things

My friend Tom, who helped put together Whew!, has generously offered to let me use the TV studio at Dundalk High School, where he teaches TV production. Tom DID say the studio has 3 cameras. Based on how well Whew! turned out, I have total faith in Tom and his students. In fact, TJW will probably look smoother, because of the three camera system.  Whew! only had two cameras. Tom said there would be enough students there for every aspect of the "behind the scenes".  So, I just need to recruit contestants, and an announcer.