Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Annoying Game Show Gimmicks  (Read 27218 times)

TimK2003

Re: Annoying Game Show Gimmicks
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
Ready, set.  Off ya go!
This was another one that got old quick, IMO. I know it's not much different than when Dick Clark would say "Ready/Here is your first subject..........Go!", but for Craig it felt more like a crutch.

Not as bad as when Craig comes out of commercials saying, "Welcome back to Celebrity Name Game I'm CraigFergusonandWeareinthemiddleofanexcitinggameandRobbleRobble RAWRRR!!!"

daveromanjr

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
Ready, set.  Off ya go!
This was another one that got old quick, IMO. I know it's not much different than when Dick Clark would say "Ready/Here is your first subject..........Go!", but for Craig it felt more like a crutch.
I have a weird suspicion that Dick saying "Ready....Go" was also tied to when they'd show the clock at 30 seconds on the screen ("ready") and "Go" is when the first word would appear.  I remember a time or two when he'd say "Ready........" and no clock would show and he'd say "Stand-by....".  Once 30 seconds appeared then he'd proceed with "Go".  Just a random thought.

I also love the "here is your first subject.....go!".  Dick always said it with some authority and made it seem more grand. 

BrandonFG

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »
Alec's efforts to build drama by saying "You'll go on to play Super Match for......twentyfivethousanddollars!"

He's started to yell it this season, and it's even more annoying.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
Alec's efforts to build drama by saying "You'll go on to play Super Match for......twentyfivethousanddollars!"

Complete with obligatory jib shot.

Why didn't I post this earlier???

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »

He's started to yell it this season, and it's even more annoying.
Maybe he's afraid that the Weasel is going to pop out from behind the board and say that due to budget cuts the top prize has been reduced to $9,998.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

Alec says it that way because he's being sarcastic.

BrandonFG

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2017, 03:36:36 PM »
What's sarcastic about that?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:55:24 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
I guess if you use $500s as toilet roll, then any amount of money you can describe is worthy of an eye roll.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »
Not a gimmick, but I noticed that on some Fremantle shows, they now like to keep the contestants' or celebrities' mics open during the credits. I haven't figured out if it's annoying or just distracting, but I'm not a big fan.

It seems too much like an "intentional" technical "error", esp. since the conversation is mostly inaudible small talk about whatever bonus round. It's a change that doesn't add anything to the show IMO.

jage

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »
I like this if true. Always liked Jim or Chuck or whoever talking about the previous round when going to commercial which you don't get much now with modern shows.

Neumms

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »

Not the amount, but that he has to flog the prize money.

BrandonFG

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
Not the amount, but that he has to flog the prize money.
Okay...I see where you're coming from on that. Almost like he knows it's silly that he has to say that line.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2017, 06:19:10 AM »
Not a gimmick, but I noticed that on some Fremantle shows, they now like to keep the contestants' or celebrities' mics open during the credits. I haven't figured out if it's annoying or just distracting, but I'm not a big fan.

It seems too much like an "intentional" technical "error", esp. since the conversation is mostly inaudible small talk about whatever bonus round. It's a change that doesn't add anything to the show IMO.

That also happened on Cullen Pyramid, as they had a mill-around (unlike the Clark version)  I was always worried that someone might say a bad word or something. :)  It was a little frustrating as they sometimes would play the theme to it's conclusion but had crosstalk all over it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
I was always worried that someone might say a bad word or something. :)

That's always the trouble with prerecorded television. If only there was a way to dub over a bad word. Maybe just a little high-pitched tone, kind of like a "blip" or something.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
Maybe a "cuckoo" sound. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.