Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC summer sked  (Read 14763 times)

Matt Ottinger

Re: ABC summer sked
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36:01 AM »
Fred Wostbrock was 100% positive that Alex did play the game and that he had seen some kind of record that a photographer had been in the studio that day. He did some work about five years ago for NBC and actually put it in writing that he'd wave all of his fees of somebody at NBC could locate the photo for him but they couldn't find one.

And you weren't even the "researcher of solid reputation" I was talking about!

I was home late and out early this morning, so I didn't have a chance to check my own notes yet.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
So the spirit of the original, with loads of appeal to nostalgia, just not network vs network, and not dependent on contemporary stars.

Cautiously optimistic still.  I still think there has to be an element of "big stars goofing around" for this to really work, and if this turns out to be third-tier celebrities they found at an autograph convention who agreed because they need the paycheck, I think we'll all be disappointed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

That Don Guy

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
More info about the Battle of the Network Stars reboot:

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2017/05/30/abc-announces-the-hosts-reporters-and-team-captains-for-the-return-of-battle-of-the-network-stars-premiering-on-june-29-636413/20170530abc03/

In other words, it's not so much Battle of the Network Stars as it is a tweaking of All-Star Anything Goes.

Neumms

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2017, 05:36:56 PM »
I still think there has to be an element of "big stars goofing around" for this to really work, and if this turns out to be third-tier celebrities...

Are there big stars on networks these days? Running it 10 weeks in a row rather than once or twice a year diminishes it, too. The original had the guise of seriousness. The best moment was when Gabe Kaplan and Robert Conrad nearly came to blows. The bigger than life Cosell made it seem like a big thing.

I'd rather Match Game got the time slots.

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
Are there big stars on networks these days?
I think this might depend on what you consider a "big star". I mean, the Kardashians are probably considered some of the biggest stars in Hollywood*, but if they could get the caliber of celebrities that Pyramid or Match Game are getting, I wouldn't cry foul.

The bigger question, IMO, is will the teams have the same camaraderie from the 70s and 80s? Remembering the clip you mentioned, the network teams took the competition very seriously, while at the same time realizing it was all in fun. But when Gabe won that event, it was a big friggin' deal.

If we get a bunch of overproduced, manufactured drama, complete with a team member crying on the sidelines and "confession room" segments, I'll pass.

*/Trust me, it hurt having to type that with a straight face
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

weaklink75

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
In a bit of a interesting development, 8 episodes of Funderdome were leaked by the same group who leaked Orange is the New Black episodes a couple of months ago...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hacker-leaks-episodes-steve-harveys-abc-game-show-funderdome-1010101

(I don't know if this will really affect the ratings that much- Funderdome doesn't seem to be a show people would really look for online)

TimK2003

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
But there are still some people (not me, though) out there who still can't get enough of Steve Harvey on TV.

BillCullen1

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »
Last Sunday on Buzzr's evening schedule, I saw a promo from ABC advertising its Sunday schedule starting June 11, including Celeb FF and Pyramid.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
(I don't know if this will really affect the ratings that much- Funderdome doesn't seem to be a show people would really look for online)
Given the other Funderdome thread that got posted, with literally zero people downloading it, I'm guessing 'no'.

Kniwt

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 11:54:26 PM »
And new today, here's the "official trailer" for The Gong Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMzi7tfXvSM