Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC summer sked  (Read 14819 times)

johnnya2k3

Re: ABC summer sked
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 01:56:51 AM »
Fictional?  Tommy's a legend, you cheeky monkey.  I'm just disappointed than no episodes of Dingos Got The Baby survive.  Australians were even worse than we were in preserving their shows.
I read that just like that flood and "Dream House" (which was a very serious loss), a fire forever wiped out "Dingos Got The Baby", which I understand lasted a happy two weeks in 1972 and in black-and-white, three years before color TV would finally hit Australia.

All kidding aside...I think Chuck Barris, Chris Bearde, and Gary Owens up above -- and Don Bleu, who is still alive -- will be delighted at the new Gong Show, with Mike Myers channeling his Paul Reubens' Troy Stevens. But Jennifer Aniston as one of the judges? Her film career has been down the tubes in recent years, so why not!

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
But Jennifer Aniston as one of the judges? Her film career has been down the tubes in recent years, so why not!
I had little reason to believe this, so I did a little checking. Some of her movies in recent years were Horrible Bosses 2, Storks, and Office Christmas Party. They all did very well at the box office. Dunno where you got that idea, but it's not true.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
But Jennifer Aniston as one of the judges? Her film career has been down the tubes in recent years, so why not!
I had little reason to believe this, so I did a little checking. Some of her movies in recent years were Horrible Bosses 2, Storks, and Office Christmas Party. They all did very well at the box office. Dunno where you got that idea, but it's not true.
Shhh, Brandon!  He's showing off his vast knowledge of the serious loss of "Dream House", "A Dingo Ate My Babeh", when color TV was introduced to Australia, and the downfall of the once-mighty Aniston.

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
Shhh, Brandon!  He's showing off his vast knowledge of the serious loss of "Dream House", "A Dingo Ate My Babeh", when color TV was introduced to Australia, and the downfall of the once-mighty Aniston.

But you left out the most important one.........DON BLEU IS STILL ALIVE! I was having a rotten day until I found out that valuable nugget of information.

Jay Temple

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
Something I just realized...Steve has Celebrity Feud and this Funderdome show on ABC. He hosts Little Big Shots on NBC, and I believe he's reviving his Showtime at the Apollo hosting duties for FOX.

Outside of maybe Dick Clark with Pyramid, Bloopers, and Bandstand, I can't recall anyone else hosting three or more network shows on as many networks simultaneously.
I thought I had heard once that Arthur Godfrey did. (If I'm right, I heard it on American Top 40 after Godfrey's death in 1983.) His IMDb file doesn't support the claim, however.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
Godfrey was pretty much a CBS host.  I think he did three shows for the one network at the same time.  Maybe a Bert Parks or Bud Collyer from the early days of TV
Art Linkletter had House Party on CBS and People are Funny on NBC.  The First incarnation on Life with Linkletter may have been on ABC. 
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »
As long as we're compiling short lists, we can add Louie to the short list of hosts who have competed on their own show. I can think of Dick Clark, Bill Cullen, and Bert Convy (I think he played Tattletales at least once). Meredith Vieira could count even though it wasn't her show until later.

snowpeck

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
As long as we're compiling short lists, we can add Louie to the short list of hosts who have competed on their own show. I can think of Dick Clark, Bill Cullen, and Bert Convy (I think he played Tattletales at least once). Meredith Vieira could count even though it wasn't her show until later.
Chuck Woolery during the game show hosts week on Scrabble.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 08:01:19 PM »
Chuck Woolery during the game show hosts week on Scrabble.
Pat and Vanna playing as Wheel contestants on April Fool's Day, back in the 90s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
Does Tom Kennedy turn the double play for Password Plus and You Don't Say?
Travis L. Eberle

RMF

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 05:29:05 AM »
I thought I had heard once that Arthur Godfrey did. (If I'm right, I heard it on American Top 40 after Godfrey's death in 1983.) His IMDb file doesn't support the claim, however.

According to Brooks and Marsh, he had three series in prime time on CBS during April through June of 1950: Arthur Godfrey and His Friends on Wednesdays, Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts on Mondays, and Arthur Godfrey and His Ukulele on Tuesdays and (depending on what point in the run) Thursdays or Fridays. He also was doing Arthur Godfrey Time as a Monday through Friday program, but that was still radio only at that point.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »

I bet there are more of these than you might think.  Allen Ludden played Password at least a couple of weeks in the seventies, once with Monty Hall assuming host duties and another (I think) with Betty White doing the honors.  He typically played against Elizabeth Montgomery, at the time considered to be the best celebrity player.

Alex Trebek played Jeopardy in the Art Fleming era.

For Hollywood Squares, John Davidson was frequently on the Peter Marshall version, Marshall appeared on Bergeron's show, and Bergeron "played" one episode of that week in the center square while Marshall hosted.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 10:48:54 AM »

Did he? I contacted the Library of Congress a while back for their assistance in some research I was doing for a Buzzerblog article, and they told us they had no record of Alex playing the game, but it did appear that he did a couple of walk-ons to promote High Rollers and/or Wizard Of Odds.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »

Did he? I contacted the Library of Congress a while back for their assistance in some research I was doing for a Buzzerblog article, and they told us they had no record of Alex playing the game, but it did appear that he did a couple of walk-ons to promote High Rollers and/or Wizard Of Odds.

A researcher of solid reputation sent me some notes he found years ago which seemed to indicate Trebek played in a celebrity game around the time of Wizard of Odds.  I imagine that it's possible we both misunderstood the information and that it was just a walk-on.  When I get home I'll look at the notes again.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 02:50:38 PM »

A researcher of solid reputation sent me some notes he found years ago which seemed to indicate Trebek played in a celebrity game around the time of Wizard of Odds.  I imagine that it's possible we both misunderstood the information and that it was just a walk-on.  When I get home I'll look at the notes again.
Fred Wostbrock was 100% positive that Alex did play the game and that he had seen some kind of record that a photographer had been in the studio that day. He did some work about five years ago for NBC and actually put it in writing that he'd wave all of his fees if somebody at NBC could locate the photo for him but they couldn't find one.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:50:56 PM by Adam Nedeff »