Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could a syndicated TPiR work now?  (Read 13461 times)

Casey

Re: Could a syndicated TPiR work now?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 11:46:54 AM »
I find it interesting that after 10 seasons hosting the show, people still clamor to the hope that Drew will be replaced.  Obviously he's doing what CBS and Fremantle are expecting of him or he'd have been replaced long ago.

cmjb13

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
I find it interesting that after 10 seasons hosting the show, people still clamor to the hope that Drew will be replaced.  Obviously he's doing what CBS and Fremantle are expecting of him or he'd have been replaced long ago.
I strongly believe that just like in 2007, Fremantle doesn't want him and is stuck with him due to pressure from the CBS side.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 02:28:24 PM »
I strongly believe that just like in 2007, Fremantle doesn't want him and is stuck with him due to pressure from the CBS side.

Any particular reason why you think that? What is Drew doing that Fremantle might not like?

JakeT

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »

Any particular reason why you think that? What is Drew doing that Fremantle might not like?

And after 10 years, what is he doing that CBS supposedly loves? 

C'mon...Barker is gone...Carey is now the host...come to terms with it...

JakeT

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
And after 10 years, what is he doing that CBS supposedly loves? 

C'mon...Barker is gone...Carey is now the host...come to terms with it...
Coming to terms is not the same as discarding criticism.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 07:50:21 PM »
Remember that Fremantle was doing auditions for new hosts for a reason
The staff wanted to screen test Mark Walberg since they liked him a lot, but CBS said no
Drew Carey is hired without an audition
Does it make sense that Fremantle would hire Drew without an audition?

Even though Fremantle owns the show, CBS has enormous pull being that they air the show, provide the facilities and game storage. What is Fremantle going to say? If we can't hire who we want, we'll take the show to another network? Basically CBS forced them to hire Drew.

On an unrelated note....Barker negotiated his salary with CBS, not Fremantle
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tpirfan28

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
CBS/Drew/Fremantle got lucky, if there was a 6-month ultimatum, with the writer's strike.  Undoubtedly the extra nighttime specials helped get eyeballs on Drew and TPIR in the time of transition.

The early seasons of this era were rough when they were trying VERY hard to not be Barkeresque.  Here in the last couple years Drew has settled in very nicely and the show now feels like his.
I do think the set is way too loud, though.

I would imagine that CBS Daytime would look drastically different if they did cut Price - Guiding Light and As The World Turns were gone 2/3 years later.  Maybe they would have only programmed Y&R and B&B?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvmitch

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 08:16:53 AM »
You'd think now would be a more opportune time for that approach than ever, since so many stations double-run shows back-to-back. But I swear I've read before that stations prefer two consecutive half-hours to one solid hour, though the reasons for such a preference elude me.

Two separate shows' worth of ad sales as opposed to one?
It was my experience from working in advertising at a couple TV stations that stations are usually selling the hours and not by the half hour, at least on a local level.

Now, WGAL in Lancaster, PA for instance, they are currently airing news at 12 noon followed by Millionaire at 12:30pm. Those two get sold separately because they are different audiences. Advertisers may want to have their ads run in News but not game shows, or vice versa.

But if it's a double run of Judge Judy or Feud or whatever, the assumption is that it's the same demographic audience watching over that whole hour, and when a local advertiser buys that show, their ad could air in the first break at around :07 after the hour, or after the second show concludes.

This may be completely different for national ad sales; I don't have any experience in that environment.

There's also some efficiency built in for a double-run show that airs last year's repeats in the second half hour; stations can charge the same ad rates for both the new and the second-run shows.
You should follow me on Twitter

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 02:10:10 AM »
Remember that Fremantle was doing auditions for new hosts for a reason
The staff wanted to screen test Mark Walberg since they liked him a lot, but CBS said no
Drew Carey is hired without an audition
Does it make sense that Fremantle would hire Drew without an audition?

Even though Fremantle owns the show, CBS has enormous pull being that they air the show, provide the facilities and game storage. What is Fremantle going to say? If we can't hire who we want, we'll take the show to another network? Basically CBS forced them to hire Drew.

Unless you can direct me to a corroborating source I have to say this is shaping up to feel like a whole bunch of "sez you".

Who's to say they couldn't have pulled up anchor if they didn't get what they wanted?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 03:22:01 AM »
Unless you can direct me to a corroborating source I have to say this is shaping up to feel like a whole bunch of "sez you".

Click the link in his signature.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Casey

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »

But none of this is unprecedented, right?  Mark Goodson wanted Dennis James and CBS wanted Bob Barker back in 1972, and CBS got what they wanted then too.  I'm still not real sure what it is you are pining away for, except that you just can't stand Drew Carey.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »

THIS.

If the show was doing poorly and was canned after 6 months-1 year, i would understand the harping. But its been 10 years now. they tried a lot of the "edgy" ideas (which when you think about it werent THAT edgy) and realized their mistakes and got back to what make the show so much fun. I would even say it's more fun that some of the latter day Barker years.
insert signature here

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
I was listening to an episode of The Carson Podcast and the guest was a stand-up comic who claims he was seriously considered for a shot at hosting The Price Is Right post-Barker, but (long story short) ended up blowing off the audition to the fury of his agent and managers.

Imagine if you will the star of The Price Is Right...Dave Coulier!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 04:13:08 PM »
I was listening to an episode of The Carson Podcast and the guest was a stand-up comic who claims he was seriously considered for a shot at hosting The Price Is Right post-Barker, but (long story short) ended up blowing off the audition to the fury of his agent and managers.

"Looks like you've all overbid...now, cut. It. Out. And bid below $850!"

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 04:19:07 PM »
Maybe he got upset after the producers bugged him in the middle of dinner.