Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could a syndicated TPiR work now?  (Read 13450 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Could a syndicated TPiR work now?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 12:04:30 AM »
The second most recent edition made it a year. The most recent got canned at midseason.

Why would trying again be any different?
If you want to throw shade at Tom Kennedy that's your quibble I guess.

Not really his fault the show flopped. He did a perfectly stout job.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:58 AM »
I'm just pointing out that "why would trying again be any different?" is a silly notion. Times change, people change, personnel change.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 02:14:55 AM »
I think the time to strike would have been far earlier in Drew's tenure, particularly when he was doing the Million Dollar Spectaculars. With strong enough ratings, they could have taken the momentum in to buyers and/or the general public. If said nighttime show would have been an hour long, however, that's an awful lot of performing for one man. Given the proliferation of half hour shows in double run, I think it would make sense for such a show to be one hour.

But now? Probably not. After a few years with Drew, Price (IMO) settled back in to the groove of "it's that show that's always been on." The occasional viral moment in the past few years has helped people remember it's still here, although Travis hit some good points with people's viewing habits - those moments reminded people it was there if they wanted to see it, rather than creating an appetite for people to see it when they're home from work.

-Jason
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:18:48 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PYLdude

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 03:17:13 AM »
I'm just pointing out that "why would trying again be any different?" is a silly notion. Times change, people change, personnel change.

As they did in 1994. And Goodson and Paramount pushed the ever loving crap out of the show and all it got them was 16 weeks.

My point is that if Fremantle was inclined to try a fourth syndicated go round, they'd have done so by 2017. By not doing so, that tells me that they're cognizant of history regarding their longest running product and also that, in spite of all the good things about the 1985 and 1994 productions (and there were), it's just not cut out to be anything more than it currently is.

ETA: I also like Jason's point about how there might have been a certain time frame to make such a run at syndication. Especially considering some of the clunkers that actually did make the rounds in syndication at the time (Temptation, Crosswords, and Trivial Pursuit). But then again, since Feud hadn't been performing particularly well at this point, who's to say they could've succeeded? (Assuming of course that Feud would be paired with a syndicated TPIR)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
Another factor is CBS's other interests.  In my market, CBS syndicates all of the prime access shows on the big three affils, (WOF, J!, ET, Inside Edition and Judge Judy)  Why would they release TPIR to compete?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 06:46:03 AM »
In other news Broadcasting and Cable reports NBC universal will be syndicating reruns of Dateline NBC for the fall.  The Fox O&Os are on board.  Stations will have the option to run one or two hours daily.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
Just what we need...another true crime forensics show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
My followup to this was going ask whether a syndicated LMAD could work, but I think the answer about it being too familiar remains the same, being that's going into season nine this fall. That, and it airs at 3 pm in some markets, so it might be odd to have the two version air just a few hours apart.

Kinda surprised CBS hasn't tried a LMAD prime time special...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
If CBS had canceled the show in 2007 and Fremantle wanted to mount a new version, it prolly has a much better shot, because of more options in daytime hours.
A strong rumor at the time Barker retired was that CBS would give the show 6 months with a new host and if it didn't work out, the show would be cancelled and brought back in syndication.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Sodboy13

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 12:21:21 AM »
Is there any reason why a syndicated TPIR couldn't be an hour?
You'd think now would be a more opportune time for that approach than ever, since so many stations double-run shows back-to-back. But I swear I've read before that stations prefer two consecutive half-hours to one solid hour, though the reasons for such a preference elude me.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 12:51:45 AM »
You'd think now would be a more opportune time for that approach than ever, since so many stations double-run shows back-to-back. But I swear I've read before that stations prefer two consecutive half-hours to one solid hour, though the reasons for such a preference elude me.

Two separate shows' worth of ad sales as opposed to one?

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
But I swear I've read before that stations prefer two consecutive half-hours to one solid hour, though the reasons for such a preference elude me.

Probably the same reason Raw used to break up into separate hours: ad rates.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 04:24:22 AM »
But I swear I've read before that stations prefer two consecutive half-hours to one solid hour, though the reasons for such a preference elude me.

Probably the same reason Raw used to break up into separate hours: ad rates.

I believe they still do this, although the show is three hours long now.

whewfan

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 05:24:18 AM »
If CBS had canceled the show in 2007 and Fremantle wanted to mount a new version, it prolly has a much better shot, because of more options in daytime hours.
A strong rumor at the time Barker retired was that CBS would give the show 6 months with a new host and if it didn't work out, the show would be cancelled and brought back in syndication.

If that's true, then CBS would've had to pay Drew a LOT of money because he had a 5 year contract. I'm not sure how his contract works these days... might be similar to Bob's, in which it's 5 years, with the option to bail out every year without any consequences.

cmjb13

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
Wouldn't it be interesting if some executive thought it wouldn't be a good idea because if Drew turns the gig down and they find another host, that host may do a much better job thus exposing Drew's lack of performance?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS