Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could a syndicated TPiR work now?  (Read 13420 times)

BrandonFG

Could a syndicated TPiR work now?
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
This is something I've thought about recently, and the video of Bob making subtle jabs at Doug Davidson's TPiR reminded me of it.

Obviously, it's been a while since a network (daytime) game had an evening syndicated counterpart. Do you think a syndicated TPiR could work now? Still half an hour, perhaps using the original daytime formula of three games, no wheel, Showcase. I dunno if Drew wants the extra workload, so maybe someone like Todd Newton hosts.

It's been 10 years since Bob left the show, so you have a new generation of fans (mostly elementary or middle school kids) who either weren't born* or may not remember him. As a result, you don't have the legendary host to compare him to. Maybe pair it with an evening LMAD or Feud?

*/Get off my lawn
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Re: Could a syndicated TPiR work now?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:16:08 PM »
I don't think it would work.  It would have to run in prime access and any station doing game shows would have WOF and J! there.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
Funny you mention that...for years, stations in my market seemed to avoid putting a show in the 7:00 hour. WVBT tried Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, and moved it to a different slot by midseason.

Celebrity Name Game aired at 7:30 on WGNT; Feud on WTVZ went to the 7 pm hour this season, after only 17 years on the air. :P Before that, I think the last show to go against Wheel/J! was Combs' Feud.

Even with daytime TPiR's success, I think the 7:00 hour is crowded, not just with the Wheel/J! hour or more stations airing Feud at that time, but even more stations opting for a 7:00 newscast (that's what precedes/ed Craiggers on WGNT).

Something else that hit me...a nighttime game has to air after 4:00 pm, right? The fact that more stations start their news at 4 could make an evening version of any game show tough. At least when shows like Millionaire or Deal or No Deal went into syndication, they were counterparts to a prime time network show, so stations had more time slots to choose from, whether it be 9 am or 6:30 pm.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
At least when shows like Millionaire or Deal or No Deal went into syndication, they were counterparts to a prime time network show, so stations had more time slots to choose from, whether it be 9 am or 6:30 pm.

Did either of those run concurrently with the network shows? Millionaire was cancelled by ABC before it went into syndication (although sure ABC did the occasional special run). Not sure about DoND.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
Did either of those run concurrently with the network shows? Millionaire was cancelled by ABC before it went into syndication (although sure ABC did the occasional special run). Not sure about DoND.
My recollection is that Deal was either a done deal or really close when it was on the way out--and it aired at 7pm here in the Seattle area. As did/does Family Feud in this area.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
At least when shows like Millionaire or Deal or No Deal went into syndication, they were counterparts to a prime time network show, so stations had more time slots to choose from, whether it be 9 am or 6:30 pm.

Millionaire Original Recipe was canceled about three months prior to the daytime premiere. I think prime time DoND aired for at least one season alongside the daytime version...IIRC, one of the million dollar wins was in late-'08, after the daytime premiere.

ETA: Wiki says the final NBC DoND episode aired in May 2009. For some reason, I thought both were canceled in 2010.

Casey Buck

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »
If it's in addition to the CBS version, I don't think syndicated version would work; it would just dilute the ratings for both.

If it replaces the CBS version, it might have a shot, if Debmar-Mercury can somehow force stations to that want to carry Feud to also carry TPiR. But, I think it would still be a big gamble.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
The second most recent edition made it a year. The most recent got canned at midseason.

Why would trying again be any different?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
In 1972, the rules allow for lots of game shows to find a space on the grid. TPIR obliges and sticks around for eight years.
In 1985 the two gorillas show that game shows can work in five-a-day syndication, so TPIR (among others) decide to go for a piece of the pie.
In 1994 I have no idea why they thought another version would spin up, but there y'are.

In the first two cases folks ho couldn't see the show during the morning got the chance to do so in the evening. (This is also the case for both iterations of Pyramid, Sale of the Century and some others). These days you can find same day episodes on the network website or time-shift your own viewing. I don't think an arbitrary hour of the day is the problem--it's that you're not going to find enough new fans of the show to make it worthwhile.
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
The second most recent edition made it a year. The most recent got canned at midseason.

If you want to throw shade at Tom Kennedy that's your quibble I guess.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »

Well again...Drew Carey is no Bob Barker. If someone else hosts the hypothetical evening version, I don't think too many people will switch to Judge Judy just because the PM host doesn't have the AM host's chops. FWIW, Pyramid and Match Game's two prior versions didn't set the world on fire either. Between the four attempts, only one made it to season two. But...both are doing pretty well now on ABC. It might be apples and oranges, but I wouldn't use failed previous attempts as the precedent.

I think the crowded market and more stations airing news in prime access hurt the chances more. If CBS had canceled the show in 2007 and Fremantle wanted to mount a new version, it prolly has a much better shot, because of more options in daytime hours.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 10:29:26 PM »
Well again...Drew Carey is no Bob Barker.

Just ask the models.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »
Is there any reason why a syndicated TPIR couldn't be an hour?  One of the knocks I've heard about the Kennedy and Davidson runs was the lack of a Showcase Showdown (a.k.a. "No big wheel!").  If it's airing after 4 PM, why can't it air in a one-hour block - or even from 7 to 8 in that manner (thus getting rid of the tuneout factor).

I mean, I fear this would cannibalize some of the Harvey Feud popularity, but that would be the only issue if I'm a Fremantle exec.

One quibble:  would Drew Carey want to put in that much time on the show?

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »
Is there any reason why a syndicated TPIR couldn't be an hour?  One of the knocks I've heard about the Kennedy and Davidson runs was the lack of a Showcase Showdown (a.k.a. "No big wheel!"). 
From whom? That's always bee one of my favorite things about it after Tom.
Travis L. Eberle