Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Millionaire Coming Back  (Read 39818 times)

Little Big Brother

ABC Millionaire Coming Back
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2004, 01:21:32 PM »
I think the audience could be extremely helpful after the $32k question, if the right questions came up.  There was a question worth either $125 or $250 asking how many stories tall the Statue of Liberty is.  If I had the ATA there, I would most likely go with what the audience said, both because of the New Yorkers but also because there's a good chance the tourists in the crowd may have heard something about the Statue's height during their trip.

I also recall that the Millionaire after Kevin Olmsted (Bernie Cullen?) ATAed on question 15 before using the 50:50 (some question about what letter appears on commercial airliners or something like that) and I think he actually got a majority or a high plurality for the right answer.

CarShark

« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2004, 04:16:02 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 01:00 PM\']
One more thing, though. Don't underestimate the audience. I saw them help someone answer Question 12 correctly (about 60% of them were right) on the syndie version, and on Millionaire Bowl over 60% of the audience were right on Question 13, but the contestant didn't trust them.

If you are referring to the question about bikes for $125,000, I was in the audience that day (the show aired near Merle Glickman's show).  I sat there amazed that the contestant would trust the audience and go for it (the percentage was 50-60%, I can't remember exactly).

However, that is a rare exception of the audience of being help after 32K.  Of course, this is hard to prove because we don't see the audience vote on many questions after 32K. [/quote]
 I guess it happened more than once then. I was talking about the episode where the audience knew that m is the letter used to stand for the slope of a line. I think Meredith said something about him being the first one to answer Question 12 correctly on her series.

starcade

« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2004, 07:03:22 PM »
It was true when I played in the Hot Seat at Cal Adventure the first time.

I _H A T E_ using two Lifelines for the same question.

If you think the Phoner might know, then use the Phone first.  He might at least be able to eliminate a couple right off or give a good idea.

Whoever suggests the 50-50 and then the Phone on the same question has NO CLUE how to play Millionaire.

I hope that, if I qualify for Super, your butt is in one of the other seats so I can go past you like you were standing still.

starcade

« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2004, 07:05:45 PM »
I'm not high on using the ATA (except as a throwaway) on Tier III -- I understand that there are cases (like the $500K Pokemon question) that it might help, but, in most cases, the questions are meant to be difficult enough that you might as well toss in for a four-way split.

I mean, if it's for straight 10X the stakes up the line and I had the ATA only left at, say, $5M, I walk and leave it on the table and take my $2.5M and smile.

CarShark

« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2004, 07:21:11 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 07:05 PM\'] I'm not high on using the ATA (except as a throwaway) on Tier III -- I understand that there are cases (like the $500K Pokemon question) that it might help, but, in most cases, the questions are meant to be difficult enough that you might as well toss in for a four-way split.

I mean, if it's for straight 10X the stakes up the line and I had the ATA only left at, say, $5M, I walk and leave it on the table and take my $2.5M and smile. [/quote]
 Why wouldn't you use it? Is it the same premise as the guy that left the 50:50 on the table, that you would be too tempted to go for it if the audience gave you a majority?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2004, 09:02:44 AM »
I'm not high on using the ATA (except as a throwaway) on Tier III -- I understand that there are cases (like the $500K Pokemon question) that it might help, but, in most cases, the questions are meant to be difficult enough that you might as well toss in for a four-way split.

Even on questions where the audience has been split (let's say 30-25-25-20), the higher percentage is usually the right answer.

But if I was sitting at $250,000 and not sure enough, I'd walk away too.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!