Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Millionaire Coming Back  (Read 39823 times)

gameshowguy2000

ABC Millionaire Coming Back
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2004, 11:34:42 PM »
BTW, Kachigian guessed wrong when he walked.

And hard to stick to your game plan? Sometimes it is, and sometimes it's not.

If you guys were to see ME in the hot seat (and it just might happen), obviously you'd expect me to stick to my game plan. For example, When I'm watching at home, and see that a contestant plans to use the PAF Lifeline, I always shout out: "Use the 50:50 first, THEN the PAF, that way, if you have to repeat ANY choices, you only have to repeat TWO instead of FOUR."

Why? Because, if you repeat all FOUR choices, you might end up taking more time on the clock. When you have TWO choices, you can repeat the choices and still have time to talk over the answers and the question.

This is one game plan that really can help you. Really.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2004, 11:38:18 PM »
So... you would burn an extra lifeline to shave 2-3 seconds off the clock when doing Phone-a-Friend?

Yeah, send me a copy of that fat check, dude.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2004, 11:42:25 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 10:38 PM\'] So... you would burn an extra lifeline to shave 2-3 seconds off the clock when doing Phone-a-Friend?

Yeah, send me a copy of that fat check, dude. [/quote]
Let me reiterate what I just said:

If you end up repeating all FOUR choices, you're taking more time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you may or may not have enough time to talk over the question and the choices.

If you end up repeating only TWO choices, you're taking less time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you definitely WILL have enough time (or more than enough) to talk over the question and the choices.

I am using this plan if, and only IF, I get into the hot seat.

If you don't like the idea of this when you get into the hot seat, that's fine. But don't say I didn't warn you!

(A bit OT: BTW, post 500 for me!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 11:47:29 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

dzinkin

« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2004, 11:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 11:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 10:38 PM\'] So... you would burn an extra lifeline to shave 2-3 seconds off the clock when doing Phone-a-Friend?

If you end up repeating all FOUR choices, you're taking more time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you may or may not have enough time to talk over the question and the choices.

If you end up repeating only TWO choices, you're taking less time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you definitely WILL have enough time (or more than enough) to talk over the question and the choices.

If you don't like the idea of this when you get into the hot seat, that's fine. But don't say I didn't warn you!

(A bit OT: BTW, post 500 for me!) [/quote]
 How is "taking less time off the clock than you wanted to" any different from "shav[ing] 2-3 seconds off the clock"?

Your plan and your subsequent attempt to explain it are positively underwhelming.

SplitSecond

« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2004, 11:53:07 PM »
On how many national and/or local game shows have you appeared, gameshowguy2000?

dzinkin

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2004, 11:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 11:38 PM\'] So... you would burn an extra lifeline to shave 2-3 seconds off the clock when doing Phone-a-Friend?

Don't you understand, Gene?  You're also supposed to burn up the Ask the Audience lifeline at the same time.  That way, the extra 2-3 seconds you save by burning up the 50/50 can be used to discuss how the audience voted.  It's pure genius!

goongas

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2004, 12:07:32 AM »
In my opinion, you should never use the 50-50 before another lifeline, as it can influence the audience/paf to guess at an answer.  If the paf or audience really knows it, they will know it with 4 choices instead of just 2.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2004, 12:27:42 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 10:53 PM\'] On how many national and/or local game shows have you appeared, gameshowguy2000? [/quote]
 Zilch.

Timsterino

« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2004, 12:51:04 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 01:07 AM\'] In my opinion, you should never use the 50-50 before another lifeline, as it can influence the audience/paf to guess at an answer.  If the paf or audience really knows it, they will know it with 4 choices instead of just 2. [/quote]
 I totally agree, Eric.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #189 on: February 02, 2004, 02:50:36 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 09:42 PM\'] Let me reiterate what I just said:

If you end up repeating only TWO choices, you're taking less time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you definitely WILL have enough time (or more than enough) to talk over the question and the choices. [/quote]
 Yeah, you were high when you said it the first time, and yer high now.

Each of the lifelines has their own specific uses for their own specific situations. There is no way in HELL I am wasting a lifeline on a question begging for a Googling when I can save that lifeline for a big-bucks question that I have narrowed down to two choices, especially when with the new random-elimination system the odds are 66% in my favor that doing so will lock in a right answer.
You have as much right to use this gameplan as I do to think it's utterly ridiculous.
(A bit OT: BTW, post 500 for me!)
Quality, not quantity.
[That said, cue Also Sprach Zarathustra.]
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tomobrien

« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 11:42 PM\']If you end up repeating all FOUR choices, you're taking more time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you may or may not have enough time to talk over the question and the choices.

(A bit OT: BTW, post 500 for me!)[/quote]
So...let me get this straight.  At $2,000, you blank out on a pop culture question (say, number of Julia Roberts' marriages or Britney Spears' bust size of the week) and you use the 50:50?  That's a slam-dunk for the audience.  Saving the ATA for the high-level questions makes good sense--assuming the tour group from the Association of Atomic Scientists happens to be in the audience that day.

Reading the answers to the PAF quickly and not stopping for extraneous chatter ("Hi, Dad!") can make the difference between 2 and 4 answers pretty much a wash.

And you can't assume that you and your PAF will definitely have time to discuss the question--they've been known to blank out, too.

Timsterino

« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2004, 08:24:57 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 12:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 10:38 PM\'] So... you would burn an extra lifeline to shave 2-3 seconds off the clock when doing Phone-a-Friend?

(A bit OT: BTW, post 500 for me!) [/quote]
If you get an early pop-culture question that you do not know (or in my case a vocabulary question lol), use the ATA. 50/50 should always be saved for last as it is the most reliable lifeline (unless you have a really good googler). There is no reason to save ATA for after $32K (except for those rare occasions).  Unless, of course, you know all of the questions from $100 - $32,000 and you do not need a lifeline.

I speak from experience when I say that a lot of the planning you may do will go out the window when you sit in that seat. You never know what kind of stack you will get and how you will react to it. I swore that I would not use a lifeline before $1,000 and that went out the window.

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 08:26:36 AM by Timsterino »

CarShark

« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2004, 08:33:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' date=\'Feb 2 2004, 07:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 11:42 PM\']If you end up repeating all FOUR choices, you're taking more time off the clock than you wanted to. This means you may or may not have enough time to talk over the question and the choices.

(A bit OT: BTW, post 500 for me!)[/quote]
So...let me get this straight.  At $2,000, you blank out on a pop culture question (say, number of Julia Roberts' marriages or Britney Spears' bust size of the week) and you use the 50:50?  That's a slam-dunk for the audience.  Saving the ATA for the high-level questions makes good sense--assuming the tour group from the Association of Atomic Scientists happens to be in the audience that day.

Reading the answers to the PAF quickly and not stopping for extraneous chatter ("Hi, Dad!") can make the difference between 2 and 4 answers pretty much a wash.

And you can't assume that you and your PAF will definitely have time to discuss the question--they've been known to blank out, too. [/quote]
 I have to disagree with gameshowguy as well. If your Phone-A-Friends really know their stuff, then they will know the answer with four or two answers. If you knew one or two answers that weren't right, you could simply not say them at all. That would be the same effect as the 50:50 without having to use it. You could also tell your Phone-A-Friends that you wouldn't repeat the answers. Maybe then they would listen more closely and you could save time that way.

One more thing, though. Don't underestimate the audience. I saw them help someone answer Question 12 correctly (about 60% of them were right) on the syndie version, and on Millionaire Bowl over 60% of the audience were right on Question 13, but the contestant didn't trust them.

zachhoran

« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2004, 09:40:58 AM »
I think this is the longest thread we've ever had in the post-Usenet days, no? I can't recall any other threads going to seven pages of posts.

goongas

« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2004, 01:00:42 PM »
One more thing, though. Don't underestimate the audience. I saw them help someone answer Question 12 correctly (about 60% of them were right) on the syndie version, and on Millionaire Bowl over 60% of the audience were right on Question 13, but the contestant didn't trust them.

If you are referring to the question about bikes for $125,000, I was in the audience that day (the show aired near Merle Glickman's show).  I sat there amazed that the contestant would trust the audience and go for it (the percentage was 50-60%, I can't remember exactly).

However, that is a rare exception of the audience of being help after 32K.  Of course, this is hard to prove because we don't see the audience vote on many questions after 32K.