Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Millionaire Coming Back  (Read 39820 times)

tomobrien

ABC Millionaire Coming Back
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2004, 12:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 08:51 AM\'] I know I am probably in the minority when I say this, but I would answer the million dollar question, whether I knew it for sure or not. I could live with losing all that money, but I could not deal with the fact that I could have had a million bucks but didn't because I didn't trust myself. [/quote]

Sorry...gotta disagree with this.  The "life-changing difference" between $1M and $500K (after taxes) isn't comparable to the life-change between $500,000 and $32,000.
Walk from the $1M question and you're still left with a sizable chunk of change that can get you to early retirement, buy a nice home, put a kid through college or whatever.
Miss the $1M and you're left with...a midsize car, perhaps.  An addition to your home.  Nice vacations for a few years.
The first option is permanent life change; the second, temporary.
If you really think that it's worth $468,000 because you couldn't live with yourself...hey, be my guest.

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2004, 02:38:06 PM »
It was worth it for me from $64K to $125K.  I would have turned into a bitter man if I'd walked and my gut feeling about the answer was correct, so I pulled the trigger.  For me, the difference between $32K and $64K was worth the peace of mind.

At $250K going for $500K, I was able to walk away cheerfully when I didn't have confidence in my gut feeling.  The difference between $250K and $32K was far more significant.

As it turned out, I made the right choice.  But damn, at times I wish I knew what my million dollar question would have been.

And when I'm a bit more rational, I'm glad I don't.

- Peter

CarShark

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2004, 04:00:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 09:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 08:51 AM\'] I know I am probably in the minority when I say this, but I would answer the million dollar question, whether I knew it for sure or not. I could live with losing all that money, but I could not deal with the fact that I could have had a million bucks but didn't because I didn't trust myself. [/quote]
I certainly hope that you're in the *extreme* minority.  When you're older, perhaps you'll learn that when you have nothing, $500,000 is a life-changing amount of money.  Risking almost all of it for a 1 in 4 chance to double is a sucker's bet.

On the other hand, ABC hopes for contestants just like you to make their game more dramatic, and probably save them a few bucks in the process! [/quote]
 I realize what you're saying, but I still don't agree. The show is called "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?". Not a half-millionaire. Not a quarter-millionaire. A millionaire. I want to be a MILLIONAIRE, and I seriously doubt that I would be satisfied unless I at least tried to answer Question 15 correctly.

inturnaround

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2004, 04:35:07 PM »
Looks like the quotes from SB's interview with Michael Davies made the big time....or, at least Page Six.

Of course, it probably won't effect the actual posting of the interview. How many times has part one or two of an interview never been posted?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Little Big Brother

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2004, 05:27:54 PM »
I'm just glad that every article about Super Millionaire has made a point of mentioning the overscheduling of Classic Millionaire.  Hopefully if this format is successful, ABC will take the hint.

ChuckNet

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2004, 06:26:28 PM »
Deaf people can't go on Name That Tune, either, or face down an Audio Daily Double. I don't remember anyone suing.

On that note, Harry Eisenberg's J! book mentions a legally-blind contestant who had the misfortune of getting a Video DD during her game...whatever her guess was, it was incorrect, but she took it very graciously.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GS Warehouse

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2004, 06:31:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 05:27 PM\'] I'm just glad that every article about Super Millionaire has made a point of mentioning the overscheduling of Classic Millionaire.  Hopefully if this format is successful, ABC will take the hint. [/quote]
 Don't think Lloyd Braun doesn't remember...because he does.  He's gone on record as saying if SM succeeds, he's not going to make the goose-with-the-golden-eggs mistake again.

goongas

« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2004, 07:32:01 PM »
Don't think Lloyd Braun doesn't remember...because he does. He's gone on record as saying if SM succeeds, he's not going to make the goose-with-the-golden-eggs mistake again.

We'll see.  The networks also said they weren't going to schedule a lot of reality tv this season.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2004, 06:10:21 AM »
In case anyone hasn't visited the site recently, Steve Beverly's "complete" interview with Micheal Davies is now available.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2004, 03:29:18 AM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 04:00 PM\']I realize what you're saying, but I still don't agree. The show is called "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?". Not a half-millionaire. Not a quarter-millionaire. A millionaire. I want to be a MILLIONAIRE, and I seriously doubt that I would be satisfied unless I at least tried to answer Question 15 correctly.[/quote]
(checks your screenname)

So, I take it Pat Finn should have medics standing by for you? That show's not called Shop Till You're Done.

[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:26 PM\']Harry Eisenberg's J! book mentions a legally-blind contestant who had the misfortune of getting a Video DD during her game...whatever her guess was, it was incorrect, but she took it very graciously.[/quote]

Forgive me for questioning the man, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that bit of trivia. There wasn't a single visual clue when Eddie Timanus was playing, was there?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Fedya

« Reply #175 on: February 01, 2004, 11:19:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 03:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:26 PM\']Harry Eisenberg's J! book mentions a legally-blind contestant who had the misfortune of getting a Video DD during her game...whatever her guess was, it was incorrect, but she took it very graciously.[/quote]

Forgive me for questioning the man, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that bit of trivia. There wasn't a single visual clue when Eddie Timanus was playing, was there? [/quote]
 There was a legally-blind woman who was on J! back in the late '80s, IIRC.  She got a Video DD with a picture of a drawing from Gray's Anatomy and had to identify the book it appeared in.  From what I remember reading somewhere, she said the picture looked like spaghetti to her.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

ChuckNet

« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2004, 09:16:57 PM »
I've been (not seriously, but if the right one came along) shopping for a condo lately. And with this comes all of the stresses that come with taking out a sick loan and working in a business where someone in India is champing at the bit to replace my salary with a bowl of rice. Man, if someone came down tomorrow and said 'You know that condo you were looking at? Here's a check. Go get it.' I wouldn't care if that check was for $150K or $1.5 million. The condo would be bought and paid for either way, and the load would be off.

I have to agree w/Chris here...as it is, I'm currently looking to move into my own place, hopefully w/my new GF. If I somehow make it on this new Super Millionaire, my goal would be to win enough money to make this move feasible, and if I had, say, $500K in my hand safe and sound, only to be faced w/a $1M question whose answer I had even the slightest doubt of, you can bet I'd be saying "Thank you, and goodnight".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

CarShark

« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2004, 10:27:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 11:14 AM\']I'll agree that having it down to 50/50 changes things quite a bit.  Still, since part of the issue seems to be how you feel about yourself afterwards, in a 50/50 situation consider which of the two would be worst:  Feeling bad because you had half a million dollars in your hand but you threw $468,000 of it away or feeling bad because you COULD have had a million BUT YOU STILL HAVE $500,000!!!

I think a lot of you aren't comprehending the actual dollars that are involved.[/quote]
I agree with itiparanoid here. I don't like the insinuation that just because I am young, I have no concept of the value of money. It doesn't matter if you're 17, 27, or 87, $500,000 is a LOT of money. At your ages, Mr. Ottinger, Mr. O'Brien, and Mr. Lemon, I can understand that you may be more risk averse, depending on your situation. I'm just that saying that at this particular stage in my life, I would not be ashamed if I missed the last question, seeing as how I would STILL have $32,000.

I know my view may seem strange to you, but it stems from what I think is one of the reasons Millionaire is so good, the constant What If? factor. I guess seeing so many people blow a chance to win more money because they don't have confidence is the only reason I hate the show sometimes. Like the contestant on today's Millionaire Bowl, for example. His gut, his Phone-A-Friend, and 2/3 of the audience said Florida State, so of course...he walks and loses a chance at $250,000 and more. That is the kind of contestant I could never identify with. The kind of contestant I love to watch are people like Kevin Smith, Nancy Christy, and Armand Kachigian. They all took big risks on Question 14 and won. Two of them went on to become Millionaires. Armand didn't answer the last question (even though on the promos in Michigan, he said he would risk it), but I don't remember if he would have answered it right or not.

Let me clarify one thing, though. I never said that I would GUESS on the last question. What I meant is that if Question 15 came up, and I thought that I knew the answer with some confidence behind it, I would go for it, even if I wasn't completely sure. I don't know what I would do on Super Millionaire, though.

I do agree with you on one thing Mr. Ottinger. Guessing on the $1 million question would be really stupid. Guessing on the $10 million question? Get the men in white coats ready.

tomobrien

« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2004, 11:21:51 PM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 10:27 PM\']<snip>I guess seeing so many people blow a chance to win more money because they don't have confidence is the only reason I hate the show sometimes.

At your ages, Mr. Ottinger, Mr. O'Brien, and Mr. Lemon, I can understand that you may be more risk averse, depending on your situation. I'm just that saying that at this particular stage in my life, I would not be ashamed if I missed the last question, seeing as how I would STILL have $32,000.

[/quote]
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.  Remember, though, that opinion is based on the perspective of sitting at home in your easy chair watching from that vantage point.  As contestants from time immemorial have said, "It looks so EASY at home!"  It does.  When you've got Regis or Meredith sitting 5 feet away from you, and the lights, the music and hundreds of people watching you, it's hard sometimes to stick to that game plan you formulated in your easy chair.  It's not always strictly a lack of confidence.

"At our ages"?  Chris, Matt...get out your wheelchairs. I'll race you to the dining room for an extra helping of mush.

Jay Temple

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 10:19 AM\'] [quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 03:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:26 PM\']Harry Eisenberg's J! book mentions a legally-blind contestant who had the misfortune of getting a Video DD during her game...whatever her guess was, it was incorrect, but she took it very graciously.[/quote]

Forgive me for questioning the man, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that bit of trivia. There wasn't a single visual clue when Eddie Timanus was playing, was there? [/quote]
There was a legally-blind woman who was on J! back in the late '80s, IIRC.  She got a Video DD with a picture of a drawing from Gray's Anatomy and had to identify the book it appeared in.  From what I remember reading somewhere, she said the picture looked like spaghetti to her. [/quote]
 I thought it was more recent than that, but I'll back you up on the incident.  I saw the ep myself.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.