Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Millionaire Coming Back  (Read 39835 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
ABC Millionaire Coming Back
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 01:15:30 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 01:04 AM\'] I also hope that the remaining $0 Winners from the Primetime show will be allowed to play on this version, so that they can go from ZERO to TEN MILLION! [/quote]
So they can have a chance to possibly bomb again with even more money on the line? Oh puhleeze. Time for some fresh contestants rather than bringing some back from the past that has so miserably failed. (Llama, anyone?)

The point of the show is to see real people win, not to see already failed contestants get a second chance at so-called "glory".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 01:16:25 AM by NicholasM79 »

Red

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 01:31:46 AM »
This sounds interesting....But I'd be disapointed if the ratings bomb (which I doubt) and it doesn't ever happen again.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

DrJWJustice

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 01:35:39 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 01:04 AM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jan 25 2004, 11:20 PM\'] Very exciting news indeed and I like the 3 extra lifelines after the second plateau. From my understanding of the article they are increasing all of the current dollar values ten fold. So the new tree would look like this:

$10 Million
$5 Million
$2.5 Million
$1.25 Million
$640,000
$320,000 Plateau
$160,000
$80,000
$40,000
$20,000
$10,000 Plateau
$5,000
$3,000
$2,000
$1,000

Tim :-) [/quote]
Wow, that means double the lifelines, and 10 times the cash from regular Millionaire!

I also hope that the remaining $0 Winners from the Primetime show will be allowed to play on this version, so that they can go from ZERO to TEN MILLION! [/quote]
 My apologies if this has been mentioned already and I skimmed over it w/o catching it, but I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt we'll see anyone win the $10M.  Notice in the article that the only safe haven is the 5th question, now worth $10,000.  Any miss above that level, and the player is back down to $10,000, even if s/he passes the $320,000 question, and that's taking the extra lifelines into account.

Still, I'll be right there on my feet applauding as hard as I can if someone does manage to take it all the way.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 01:42:20 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 01:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 01:04 AM\'] I also hope that the remaining $0 Winners from the Primetime show will be allowed to play on this version, so that they can go from ZERO to TEN MILLION! [/quote]
So they can have a chance to possibly bomb again with even more money on the line? Oh puhleeze. Time for some fresh contestants rather than bringing some back from the past that has so miserably failed. (Llama, anyone?)

The point of the show is to see real people win, not to see already failed contestants get a second chance at so-called "glory". [/quote]
 I agree -- once you've had a chance in the Hot Seat, that should be it, for good.  The llama special from the series run in '01 was neat to do once, but it shouldn't ever become a routine event.  Then again, I remember the championships series where none of the millionaires repeated, and at least one (Dan Blonsky, IIRC), missed a middle tier question and left with only $1,000.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 02:05:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Jan 25 2004, 11:39 PM\'] I also seem to recall one where you could trade in a question for a lifeline, but I may be confusing that with something else.

Does anyone know of any other lifelines used on other versions?  Celador likes to keep things as uniform as possible with the show, so perhaps they will be borrowing lifeline ideas from other countries. [/quote]
 I seem to recall reading that in the pilot, or something, that if you answered an upper-tier question correctly, you got a lifeline back.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Terry K

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 03:38:31 AM »
I'm all for a new Millionaire.  The biggest problem is going to be getting through more than one contestant a show.  (On Meredith's millionaire, they are lucky if they get 2 contestants a show)

However, these changes are a positive thing that ABC realises they need to put a decent format on the air to differentiate it from Meredith's version, as well as the fact that bringing Regis back will help ABC mroe than they know.

Of course, remember we all were like WTF when they put Meredith on the syndie version, so this is definately news.  

They're going to need a huge prize budget if they want to really pull this off because offering $10 million will have to be next to impossible to win (I say bring the people who won the million back to try for the $10 million, that would be fun)

Robair

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2004, 05:04:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 03:38 AM\'] They're going to need a huge prize budget if they want to really pull this off because offering $10 million will have to be next to impossible to win (I say bring the people who won the million back to try for the $10 million, that would be fun) [/quote]
 That'd mean less time for me.

But if they keep the material at the level it is, or just turn up the difficulty level slightly, it should be interesting to see how people fare with the middle questions. Still, getting the first five and escaping with $10K ain't too bad. That's like a good second place on WOF.
--Robair

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2004, 06:43:09 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jan 25 2004, 10:20 PM\'] Let's pray they don't make any stupid changes to the format, I already am worried about additional lifelines. God help us. [/quote]
 Bah. I say "change away". Original format Millionaire is passe and slow to watch. if they can jazz it up in a way to make the audiences respond - short of unneccessary sex, violence or gross-out factors - then I say "go for it, ABC."
@lambertman

wasabe

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2004, 07:40:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 03:38 AM\'] (I say bring the people who won the million back to try for the $10 million, that would be fun)[/quote]
Since the questions on the syndie version seemed harder in general than the original primetime show, if you bring anyone back - bring back the contestants from the syndie show.  They probably deserve it more.

But is the Fastest Finger returning or not?

Timsterino

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 07:41:45 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 07:43 AM\'] [quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jan 25 2004, 10:20 PM\'] Let's pray they don't make any stupid changes to the format, I already am worried about additional lifelines. God help us. [/quote]
Bah. I say "change away". Original format Millionaire is passe and slow to watch. if they can jazz it up in a way to make the audiences respond - short of unneccessary sex, violence or gross-out factors - then I say "go for it, ABC." [/quote]
 I agree 100%. ABC wants to seperate this version from the syndicated with more than just the host. I think a bit of a change in the structure will help bring back some of that original excitement.

Of course the old phone game would also be great to see come back, but I am not seeing that happening. I do see the fastest finger returning and possibly ABC paying the contestant's way like the old days.

Tim :-)

Timsterino

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2004, 07:44:32 AM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 08:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 03:38 AM\'] (I say bring the people who won the million back to try for the $10 million, that would be fun)[/quote]
Since the questions on the syndie version seemed harder in general than the original primetime show, if you bring anyone back - bring back the contestants from the syndie show.  They probably deserve it more.

But is the Fastest Finger returning or not? [/quote]
There are still people in the syndicated contestant pool. Since taping has ended for this season on the syndicated show, they may tap into that contestant database.

They have not said anything yet about the Fastest Finger. I would expect it to return, but who knows.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 07:45:01 AM by Timsterino »

wasabe

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2004, 07:50:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 07:44 AM\']
There are still people in the syndicated contestant pool. Since taping has ended for this season on the syndicated show, they may tap into that contestant database.

[/quote]
 I guess what I was saying was that if in fact they were to bring people back, it might be interesting for them to do kind of what Survivior is doing with an "all-star" cast.  Meaning that favorite personalities from past shows could be brought back on to go for the super-jackpot.  And as it seemed that the syndie show, was in general harder, those people might deserve first crack at it.

Just meaningless speculation.

Timsterino

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2004, 07:52:51 AM »
[quote name=\'wasabe\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 08:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 07:44 AM\']

[/quote]
I guess what I was saying was that if in fact they were to bring people back, it might be interesting for them to do kind of what Survivior is doing with an "all-star" cast.  Meaning that favorite personalities from past shows could be brought back on to go for the super-jackpot.  And as it seemed that the syndie show, was in general harder, those people might deserve first crack at it.

Just meaningless speculation. [/quote]
Personally, I would like to see new people get a shot at the hotseat. I was on the show, I had my chance. I would like others to experience the same elation of being on Millionaire that I had.

Keep the All-Stars on Survivor. For Millionaire, fresh faces should be on the menu with a fresher format.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 07:54:05 AM by Timsterino »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2004, 09:05:30 AM »
I"m all for bringing it back - but if this is true about $10 million prize I don't like it.  This whole thing about having multi-million dollar prizes all the time has gotten out of hand.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

catnap1972

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2004, 09:30:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 12:23 AM\'] The recent British live version added the lifeline of "get rid of the current question for a new one". They could use that one and maybe another PAF or 50/50.
 [/quote]
 I don't know how stupid it sounds but how about an "ask somebody on the street" lifeline? (ask somebody walking by the studio outside and see if they know it).  I can't see their allowing a second 50/50 (since you could use both on the same question and get a free answer), but another PAF might work ("do I go with what my wife said or what my brother said?")