Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Millionaire Coming Back  (Read 39855 times)

gameshowguy2000

ABC Millionaire Coming Back
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2004, 04:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 02:38 PM\']
Heck, I don't like it when anyone walks away from the Million Dollar question, only to realize they were RIGHT to begin with (after they post-walking guess)!

Then you prolly won't like the fact that Australia's first two $500K winners had the right answer to the $1M question after they bowed out...as per Nine's official website, however, neither player (Dr. Trevor Sauer or William Laing) had any regrets.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 And just like Tom O'Brien said on that link I posted: "Better Safe Than Sorry."

At least he, those 2 Australian winners, as well as Pat Thompson, and Mary O'Burke (the 2 women who were right on their post-walking guesses when they won $500K; Stephanie Girardi was wrong on her $1M question when she walked with $500K), didn't have to deal with what poor Norm MacDonald had to deal with:

Regis: "You said Greenbrier, yeah, you would've been right."
Norm (along with audience): "OHHHHHH!"

Anyway, Tom, have you gotten a chance to meet Robby Roseman yet?

tomobrien

« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2004, 04:46:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 01:00 AM\']I do remember Mr. O'Brien's run on Millionaire, and he did an amazing job.

Like you said, it is better to think about the fact that you have $500,000 coming your way than think that you could have had the million if you had pulled the trigger. I would only go for it all if I were 110% sure of my answer. Otherwise, it is not worth it.

By the way - this is to Mr. O'Brien - are you the same Tom O'Brien who ran the board on $ale of the Century for over $152,000 in 1987? If so, I truly am honored to hear from you.

The Inquisitive One[/quote]
I wish!  No, the nearest I came to that haul was picking up a lovely pressboard bedroom set on the first season of Trebek Jeopardy...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2004, 05:11:11 PM »
[quote name=\'JTFriends1\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 02:26 PM\'] But, I'm sure this lawsuit remains in the back of the exec's mind when it comes to determining a contestant selection process for Super Millionaire.
 [/quote]
 I hope not. Far as I was concerned, that was all a bunch of ACLU-driven Grade-A CRAPPE when it came to light the first time.

It's a game of SPEED. If you can't push the buttons fast enough, TOUGH COOKIES.

Deaf people can't go on Name That Tune, either, or face down an Audio Daily Double. I don't remember anyone suing.

It was an obvious attempt for a group of disabled people to try to soak a few bucks out of a company that they knew was swimming in it, and I for one wish more people would stand up to that crap.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2004, 05:48:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:11 PM\'] I hope not. Far as I was concerned, that was all a bunch of ACLU-driven Grade-A CRAPPE when it came to light the first time.

Deaf people can't go on Name That Tune, either, or face down an Audio Daily Double. I don't remember anyone suing.

It was an obvious attempt for a group of disabled people to try to soak a few bucks out of a company that they knew was swimming in it, and I for one wish more people would stand up to that crap. [/quote]
I remember when this lawsuit first arose, and it was brought up on ATGS.  I remember making the argument that if the Phone Game was discrimination against the deaf, then radio call-in contests have been discriminating for the last 70 or 80 years.

Besides I don't see any blind people (ha...I made a punny) complaining about Wheel of Fortune.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2004, 05:58:48 AM »
I resent that remark fostergray82.  Come to think of it, being blind does have some advantages.  One one episode, Regis would read the question & the 4 answers in the FF round before the actual round begins to give a blind contestant a "slight" edge in that regard.

Don Howard

« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2004, 07:16:41 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:11 PM\'] It was an obvious attempt for a group of disabled people to try to soak a few bucks out of a company that they knew was swimming in it, and I for one wish more people would stand up to that crap. [/quote]
Where will these asinine lawsuits end? That's what I want to know. Maybe I should sue Playboy magazine for refusing to allow me to pose as a centerfold--a decision for which you should all be grateful.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 07:25:53 AM by Don Howard »

CarShark

« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2004, 07:51:11 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 04:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 02:38 PM\']
Heck, I don't like it when anyone walks away from the Million Dollar question, only to realize they were RIGHT to begin with (after they post-walking guess)!

Then you prolly won't like the fact that Australia's first two $500K winners had the right answer to the $1M question after they bowed out...as per Nine's official website, however, neither player (Dr. Trevor Sauer or William Laing) had any regrets.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
And just like Tom O'Brien said on that link I posted: "Better Safe Than Sorry."

At least he, those 2 Australian winners, as well as Pat Thompson, and Mary O'Burke (the 2 women who were right on their post-walking guesses when they won $500K; Stephanie Girardi was wrong on her $1M question when she walked with $500K), didn't have to deal with what poor Norm MacDonald had to deal with:

Regis: "You said Greenbrier, yeah, you would've been right."
Norm (along with audience): "OHHHHHH!"

Anyway, Tom, have you gotten a chance to meet Robby Roseman yet? [/quote]
 I know I am probably in the minority when I say this, but I would answer the million dollar question, whether I knew it for sure or not. I could live with losing all that money, but I could not deal with the fact that I could have had a million bucks but didn't because I didn't trust myself.

NOTE: When writing this, I currently have five bucks in my pocket, and even $32,000 would look real good.

I do feel kind of bad for Norm MacDonald, but in the end it was his choice to answer the question or not and he let Regis talk him out of answering. In Regis's defense, I have to admit that when Norm said "Greenbrier", he didn't say if he knew the answer or if was just guessing or anything.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2004, 09:31:56 AM »
[quote name=\'STYDfan\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 08:51 AM\'] I know I am probably in the minority when I say this, but I would answer the million dollar question, whether I knew it for sure or not. I could live with losing all that money, but I could not deal with the fact that I could have had a million bucks but didn't because I didn't trust myself. [/quote]
 I certainly hope that you're in the *extreme* minority.  When you're older, perhaps you'll learn that when you have nothing, $500,000 is a life-changing amount of money.  Risking almost all of it for a 1 in 4 chance to double is a sucker's bet.

On the other hand, ABC hopes for contestants just like you to make their game more dramatic, and probably save them a few bucks in the process!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »
On a certain level i have to agree with STYDFan.  Say you uesd a 50/50 and you were left with 2 answers.  You are about 65% sure that one is right, but you just arent definite.  Yes, $500,000 is life changing, but $1,000,000 is a hell of a lot more lifechanging.  A 50/50 shot at $1,000,000 is the best odds for that much money out there.  Now god knows i will never make the show or will never have that chance, but i would be under serious consiteration to take the gamble with a 50/50 chance for a million.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2004, 11:14:37 AM »
I'll agree that having it down to 50/50 changes things quite a bit.  Still, since part of the issue seems to be how you feel about yourself afterwards, in a 50/50 situation consider which of the two would be worst:  Feeling bad because you had half a million dollars in your hand but you threw $468,000 of it away or feeling bad because you COULD have had a million BUT YOU STILL HAVE $500,000!!!

I think a lot of you aren't comprehending the actual dollars that are involved.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2004, 11:29:24 AM »
Believe me I am comprehending the situation fully.  Now most likely yes, i would stop with the money because it is an extreme amount, but I would have to think heavily with a 50/50 shot at it.  If i had no lifelines, not a chance in hell i would gamble with 4 answers, but the 50/50 would make me deliberate over it greatly.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »
Believe me I am comprehending the situation fully. Now most likely yes, i would stop with the money because it is an extreme amount, but I would have to think heavily with a 50/50 shot at it. If i had no lifelines, not a chance in hell i would gamble with 4 answers, but the 50/50 would make me deliberate over it greatly.

I recall a contestant who actually left at $250k or $500k because all he had left was the 50:50 and he didn't want to use it because he would have been too tempted to risk what he had already.  I think he's the only contestant to willingly leave with lifelines on the table.

As for going for question 15 with a 1/4 or 1/2 chance of getting it right, no offense but those of you who would go for it are nuts.  Of course, I would be happy with $125k with anything beyond that being gravy (mmmmm, gravy....).  Perhaps if I were financially secure going in instead of a college student, my perspective would be a bit different.

Also, I've heard the sound for missing the last question, and I don't like it, and I hope to never hear it in the context of a contestant losing $468k (or whatever total Super Millionaire comes up with).

itiparanoid13

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »
Oh btw, i was watching Jimmy Kimmell last night and i noticed they started running the ad campaign for Super Millionaire already.

BrandonFG

« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2004, 12:20:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 05:11 PM\'] I hope not. Far as I was concerned, that was all a bunch of ACLU-driven Grade-A CRAPPE when it came to light the first time.

It was an obvious attempt for a group of disabled people to try to soak a few bucks out of a company that they knew was swimming in it, and I for one wish more people would stand up to that crap. [/quote]
I remember when this lawsuit first arose, and it was brought up on ATGS.  I remember making the argument that if the Phone Game was discrimination against the deaf, then radio call-in contests have been discriminating for the last 70 or 80 years.

Besides I don't see any blind people (ha...I made a punny) complaining about Wheel of Fortune. [/quote]
I didn't mean to offend you with that remark. I was making a comparison as to how ridiculous the lawsuit was regarding Millionaire. Maybe it was a bad analogy, but what I was saying was that it would be difficult for a deaf contestant to play, although they could have an interpreter use sign language, just as it would be difficult for a blind person to play Wheel of Fortune.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2004, 12:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 09:14 AM\'] I think a lot of you aren't comprehending the actual dollars that are involved. [/quote]
Matt';s so right here it isn't even funny.

To call $1,000,000 "more life changing" than $500K is simply idiotic. There is "life changing" and there is "not life changing."

I've been (not seriously, but if the right one came along) shopping for a condo lately. And with this comes all of the stresses that come with taking out a sick loan and working in a business where someone in India is champing at the bit to replace my salary with a bowl of rice. Man, if someone came down tomorrow and said 'You know that condo you were looking at? Here's a check. Go get it.' I wouldn't care if that check was for $150K or $1.5 million. The condo would be bought and paid for either way, and the load would be off.

(Of course I'd rather have the 1.5 million, but I can't even BEGIN to fathom the events that having the extra money would trigger. So If I can make the problems I have RIGHT NOW go away, or risk them for things I can't comprehend, I'm taking care of the existing problems every time.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 12:34:39 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe