Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game returns 4/2  (Read 6427 times)

Chuck Sutton

Match Game returns 4/2
« on: March 29, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »
Thanks to the cancellation of Time after Time the remaining new episodes start Sunday.

BrandonFG

Re: Match Game returns 4/2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
The MG Twitter account tweeted a panel introduction about an hour ago. Newcomers include Jane Krakowski, Busy Phillips, Taye Diggs and Valerie Bertinelli (!). At least I think those four are newcomers to this version.

I think Sunday night is better for the show, so this is great IMO. These were the episodes originally scheduled for the summer run, right? And if so, do they now scramble to tape more episodes for the summer?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
The MG Twitter account tweeted a panel introduction about an hour ago. Newcomers include Jane Krakowski, Busy Phillips, Taye Diggs and Valerie Bertinelli (!). At least I think those four are newcomers to this version.

Krakowski has appeared at least once this season.  If they could land Carol Kane, they will have exhausted the Kimmy Schmidt cast.

Matthew Morrison (also new?): "Are you guys drunk?" 
Krakowski: "Oh, yeah."

This would probably be a very entertaining show to see in person.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
I think Sunday night is better for the show, so this is great IMO. These were the episodes originally scheduled for the summer run, right? And if so, do they now scramble to tape more episodes for the summer?

I was under the impression that these Match Game episodes (the ones aired after the initial run and the ones still in the can) were to be used as mid-season series replacement shows, or single go-to shows to fill gaps in programming hours when the needs arise.  Pyramid I believe is earmarked as a "summer-replacement" series.  I can see the Sunday Night schedule this summer consisting of AFV reruns, then new episodes of The Gong Show, Pyramid and then either TTTT or MG (either reruns or unaired eps).

I am sure that if they need to make more episodes for the summer, they can pretty much get everything together on a relatively short notice as long as Alec is available.  If not, they could go to the TTTT well.

With all that being said, does anyone know if all of the 2nd batch of TTTT episodes have been exhausted, or do they still have some unaired episodes?

gamed121683

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
I can see the Sunday Night schedule this summer consisting of AFV reruns, then new episodes of The Gong Show, Pyramid and then either TTTT or MG (either reruns or unaired eps).

Wait a minute, isn't Celebrity Feud coming back this summer, too?

JakeT

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 11:56:01 PM »

I think Sunday night is better for the show, so this is great IMO.

Only problem I see is the particular timeslot on Sunday, sandwiched between "Once Upon A Time" and "American Crime"...doesn't create a great flow...

JakeT

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:48:42 AM »
I can see the Sunday Night schedule this summer consisting of AFV reruns, then new episodes of The Gong Show, Pyramid and then either TTTT or MG (either reruns or unaired eps).

Wait a minute, isn't Celebrity Feud coming back this summer, too?

Yes, I forgot about that show.  Then again, many of us are trying to forget about that show...

Otm Shank

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 11:26:44 AM »
I was under the impression that these Match Game episodes (the ones aired after the initial run and the ones still in the can) were to be used as mid-season series replacement shows, or single go-to shows to fill gaps in programming hours when the needs arise.

I would guess one of the deployment plans was to put Match Game into a vacant slot in the schedule, but it could only replace something in the last hour of primetime, or be part of at least a two-show move. Obviously, it could not run in place of a cancellation in the 8:00 hour.

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Regarding last night's show I thought both head-to-heads, Green ____ and Captain ______ each had several good answers. I saw this show in person and didn't remember a few things happening. The one thing I did remember was when Taye Diggs flung his card into the audience. It landed near me. So I have a souvenir of the show.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:23:18 PM »
Maybe it was because I was feeling a little under the weather last night, but I thought that was a strange choice for the episode to air as Match Game's return to the schedule. There was an abundance of poor gameplay on both sides of the set, and while gameplay has never been what makes Match Game great, it meant that most of the jokes in the episode were about the awful answers.

Two seasons in, I'm getting a little tired of the abundance of jokes at the expense of the contestants. I'm not saying that Rayburn and the gang never called out contestants' bad answers, but it feels like it happens in every half hour of this version.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
Two seasons in, I'm getting a little tired of the abundance of jokes at the expense of the contestants. I'm not saying that Rayburn and the gang never called out contestants' bad answers, but it feels like it happens in every half hour of this version.
I agree with this. I think Alec is trying too hard to to force the joke there. We get it, the contestant has a quirky hobby or made a dumb answer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JakeT

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »
Part of the blame for the poor game play was the less than steller writing...I mean, a "Jersey Shore" question?

JakeT

Casey

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 07:17:57 AM »
Can someone remind me of the rule where general answers match specifics?   In one case, I felt like one of the players gave a more specific answer than the celebrities but they were given a match for it.  Is that how it worked in the 70s run too? 

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »
One other thing on Sunday's show was that in the last question of the second game, an answer given by Tituss and Jane (same answer) was bleeped out and the words Sex toy were shown. So judging from the question, either vibrator or dildo was not deemed appropriate by the censors, at least for the 9 pm hour.

Unrealtor

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
Can someone remind me of the rule where general answers match specifics?   In one case, I felt like one of the players gave a more specific answer than the celebrities but they were given a match for it.  Is that how it worked in the 70s run too?

IIRC, it was a match if the celebrity's answer was more specific than the contestant's, but not vice-versa. If this is about the question I'm thinking of, I thought that it wasn't a great question because the logical answer if you know enough about the subject was a specific instance of the obvious/funny answer.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."