Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Cash Cab" revived at Discovery...  (Read 7283 times)

Jimmy Owen

Re: "Cash Cab" revived at Discovery...
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
Meet the new host- same as the old host....

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2017/06/05/emmy-award-winning-comedian-ben-bailey-returns-to-host-discoverys-revamped-cash-cab-196500/20170605discovery01/
The idea of having a different host for every episode didn't seem plausible in the first place.  Welcome back, Ben!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

doctorwho

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 01:25:50 AM »
The new episodes started airing earlier this month.  There's a lot of changes worth noting:

• There's updated graphics and music throughout, but no big changes compared to the original show.
  • Visual questions are now part of the game.
  • Biggest gameplay change: the mobile shout-out is gone, replaced by a social media shout-out where Ben starts a Facebook Live session that the contestants can consult for help.
  • Celebrities will now join regular contestants at least once an episode to help with the game; the two episodes I saw had Scott Bakula and Gilbert Gottfried, respectively.
  • Annoyingly, there's now pre-show and pre-break segments that all but spoil what's going to happen during the show/after the break.
  • The pacing's also a lot slower - where the old show would have squeezed in three sets of contestants, the new show never gets more than two sets into an episode.

All things considered, it's a bit more annoying than original-recipe Cash Cab, but it's still a decent enough way to spend a half hour.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
The new episodes started airing earlier this month. 
And they're going to finish airing this Sunday. After the first week, the show got pulled.

It sucks it got cancelled, but there was nothing that made it objectively better than the original, and I'd argue it was slightly worse. Also, 10PM prime time was a terrible spot.
This signature is currently under construction.

TimK2003

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
And they're going to finish airing this Sunday. After the first week, the show got pulled.

It sucks it got cancelled, but there was nothing that made it objectively better than the original, and I'd argue it was slightly worse. Also, 10PM prime time was a terrible spot.

Where did you hear/see this?  I searched online, but I see no news articles in 2017 mentioning anything about the current reboot getting cancelled.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 04:02:33 AM »

Where did you hear/see this?  I searched online, but I see no news articles in 2017 mentioning anything about the current reboot getting cancelled.

Nor was anything pulled after the first week; new episodes aired last Sunday and two more will this Sunday.

Considering the two weeks that follow are Christmas and New Year's I think calling a cancellation is significantly premature.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 12:12:00 AM »
A heads up/FYI:

If you have a Roku or similar device, and can get the DiscoveryGO channel, you can see a couple of episodes of the new Cash Cab -- no strings attached.  If you tag your cable/satellite provider, you can also watch the last several seasons of the original Cash Cab on demand.

colonial

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Speaking of DiscoveryGO, that channel will premiere a new five-episode series called "Cash Lift", which is pretty much "Cash Cab" but set in a hotel elevator ...

http://deadline.com/2017/12/discovery-group-nine-back-cash-cab-companion-show-set-in-hotel-elevator-1202230578/

JD

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »
Saw a couple of eps last night.  The hosts remind me of 5-cup-of-coffee radio morning show playing WWTBAM on an elevator.

/Was the show shot on an Otis???