Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let The Gong Show Auditions Begin...  (Read 2549 times)

TimK2003

Let The Gong Show Auditions Begin...
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
There is now an official Gong Show audition website for the upcoming ABC reboot:

Www.gongshowcasting.com  or
https://www.mysticartpictures.com/mystic/castingdetail.php?nc_id=169

They promoted the show and the website during Sunday Night's America's Funniest Home Videos. 

Taping looks to start next month in L.A.

BrandonFG

Re: Let The Gong Show Auditions Begin...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
At first I was kinda annoyed at it being called a "variety" show, but it does seem to fit the genre title.

Counting Extreme Gong, I do believe this has aired in every decade since its premiere.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:59:01 AM »
It aired in 2008 as well with Dave Attell as host.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »
Yep...I remember Andy Dick being a guest right around the time he had some controversy going.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »
I'll watch the first show out of curiosity, but except for Treasure Hunt, the Barris shows didn't interest me. Back in '78 when I was vacationing in California, I was offered Gong Show tickets, but I opted to go to Disneyland. To this day, I don't regret that decision.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
Cool story?

RMF

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
At first I was kinda annoyed at it being called a "variety" show, but it does seem to fit the genre title.

And, in fairness's sake, that's how the original was classified by various authorities- it was nominated for two Emmys at the 1977 Daytime Emmys in the "talk, service, or variety" category, rather than that for game shows.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »

And, in fairness's sake, that's how the original was classified by various authorities- it was nominated for two Emmys at the 1977 Daytime Emmys in the "talk, service, or variety" category, rather than that for game shows.
That, I did not know. :)

I think Chuck Barris being behind it makes it easy to classify as a game, but it really does fall more in "variety"...