Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longer running game shows which remained un-tweaked.  (Read 10246 times)

Jay Temple

Re: Longer running game shows which remained un-tweaked.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
Got into a coversation with a fellow game-show fan and the question came up as to what longer running game shows (at least 1 year) whose gameplay and format remained the same thought the entire run. This is defined as shows which:

1) Did not have any special celebrity, charity and/or theme weeks.
2) Did not have any special player tournaments or second chance weeks (unless they were brought back due to an error in gameplay)

<edited> Eliminated the 3rd clause of rule changes

We were hard pressed to come up with shows which fit the requirements.   The New Treasure Hunt was one.  Let's see how you fare?
Bill Cullen's Blockbusters, which is a pity because I always thought it would be cool to see John Hatten take on the McCarthys.
Wouldn't Blockbusters not fit because of players who won 10 games were later brought back when the cap was raised to 20 games, a second chance of sorts?
It wasn't done as an event, such as in the description above, but I admit that Dbacksfan12 is right about changing the bonus from 2500x2 to 5000x1.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
It wasn't done as an event, such as in the description above, but I admit that Dbacksfan12 is right about changing the bonus from 2500x2 to 5000x1.

2500/5000 to 5000*1
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »

2500/5000 to 5000*1

Wasn't the overall match limit less as well back then?

ETA: and also no money given for a game win?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:44:01 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Yes, so the limit was still sixty grand.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »
What about the '60s / '70s Newlywed Game? Did they ever do a Bring Back Teh Losers week? I think they did on New Newlywed, but I'm talking the original white-picket-fence version.
Didn't the ABC version have episodes with expectant mothers?  Does that count?

With Gambit, the only thing I can think of would be special prizes in the bonus round. The Vegas version had a singles week, but I think the CBS version qualifies.

How about Celebrity Sweepstakes?
Gambit had an annual event (early Februarys, I think) where the first couple to get a 2-card 21 in the bonus round won $10,000 (at first, it was $200/week for a year).  I vaguely remember that, the third year they did this, it lasted into the Washington's Birthday holiday, and Wink mentioned that in the first two years, it had been won in the first week both times.

Celebrity Sweepstakes had a Christmas Day special one year with Pat Boone playing against Flip Wilson.  No, I am not confusing this with the other show (Wheel?) where they played each other, and, IIRC, for the same charities - the American Cancer Society (Flip) and the Boy Scouts of America (Pat).  It was the first time they had the spot lights inside of the numbers, presumably to make it easier for people with black and white TVs to see what numbers were lit up when they revealed who had the correct answer to a question.  I even remember the final question - "Who sang, 'Christmas, Christmas time is here; time for toys and time for cheer'?" (answer: Alvin and the Chipmunks) - and also that it replaced another All or Nothing question that had been scratched, although I have a feeling it was scratched because both contestants chose somebody who got it wrong. 

There was also the "Shamrock Sweepstakes" involving six winners from NBC's six game shows at the time (CS, Wheel, High Rollers, and I think Hollywood Squares, Jackpot, and Jeopardy), and a week of celebrities (mainly from NBC soaps, although Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford played on the last day) playing for home viewers with a grand prize of $75,000.

Winkfan

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:18 PM »
There was also the "Shamrock Sweepstakes" involving six winners from NBC's six game shows at the time (CS, Wheel, High Rollers, and I think Hollywood Squares, Jackpot, and Jeopardy)

Wrong-a-mundo! The original J! was a thing of the past by that time. It was actually Blank Check that was the 6th show on NBC's line-up.

And back to our thread, how about the original Queen For A Day? They pretty much had the same set-up right up to the end.

Cordially,
Tammy

"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 04:45:14 AM »
Celebrity Sweepstakes had a Christmas Day special one year with Pat Boone playing against Flip Wilson. [...] It was the first time they had the spot lights inside of the numbers, presumably to make it easier for people with black and white TVs to see what numbers were lit up when they revealed who had the correct answer to a question.
Based on the few available clips outside the pilot and NBC finale, I'm pretty sure this was 1975.

There was also the "Shamrock Sweepstakes" involving six winners from NBC's six game shows at the time [...] and a week of celebrities (mainly from NBC soaps, although Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford played on the last day) playing for home viewers with a grand prize of $75,000.
Both of these were definitely in '75 - March 17 and November 3-7, respectively, the latter as part of NBC's Daytime Gigantic Game Gala (which also had Wheel and Squares expand to an hour).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...